Menu

Teaching Botany: what can we grow in OK now?

lea1

What are you trying to show? Do you want to start from a seed?  Or take a growing plant and use the flowers to dissect?  There are lots of things you can do...have you done the bean sprouting inside?  http://voices.yahoo.com/teaching-plant-life-cycle-lima-beans-1590595.html

Avocado seeds are fun to sprout - also a good inside activity.

What are you trying to show? Do you want to start from a seed?  Or take a growing plant and use the flowers to dissect?  There are lots of things you can do...have you done the bean sprouting inside?  http://voices.yahoo.com/teaching-plant-life-cycle-lima-beans-1590595.html

Avocado seeds are fun to sprout - also a good inside activity.

Well, I guess I am not really sure yet what I will be trying to show. I just got the book recommended in WTM (Green Thumb, or something like that) so I need to take a look at it. I guess I was thinking that we would definitely want to grow some things, and definitely some from seeds but I was not really sure how much we could do inside and I think we are nearing the end of the growing season in OK.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have never done the bean sprouting thing so that will definitely be a good one to try.

Where does one get seeds at this time of year? (sorry if that is a stupid question but I don't have experience in this).

Well, I guess I am not really sure yet what I will be trying to show. I just got the book recommended in WTM (Green Thumb, or something like that) so I need to take a look at it. I guess I was thinking that we would definitely want to grow some things, and definitely some from seeds but I was not really sure how much we could do inside and I think we are nearing the end of the growing season in OK.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have never done the bean sprouting thing so that will definitely be a good one to try.

Where does one get seeds at this time of year? (sorry if that is a stupid question but I don't have experience in this).

You should be able to find seeds at Atwoods or a nursery. Our local feed store has some as well.

I'm planting beautiful purple elephant garlic in my flower garden this weekend. :)

Inside ... Bulbs can be grown in a vase with just a bit of water and clear stones. Sweet potato is going everywhere in the rock pile in my back yard and I dumped those cut up bits out there just 2 weeks ago.

In fact, just grab a bunch of scraps from your cooking and see what happens.

Celery, green onion, garlic, ginger, any bulb or root type plant you can grow in your kitchen window.

DH is about to plant some greens. He did spinach last fall and we picked it through the fall. Radishes grow fast. We are also going to put more potatoes in the ground. OSU has a lot of information on what to grow where and when in OK. I don't know exactly how to find it....I am NOT the gardener in our family :blush: