Menu

Pet smells

Night Elf

Yes, upholstered furniture can hold smells.  It's one of several reasons we only have leather furniture.  if I had upholstered, I wouldn't allow the pets on it or I would clean it/have it cleaned regularly.  If you don't want to have the furniture cleaned, you can try Febreeze or similar fabric odor sprays, or sprinkling on some baking soda and allowing it to sit for awhile before vacuuming.

Also consider any pet beds you have--those hold odor and should be washed regularly.

How frequently are your dogs bathed?  Many people hold on to the old wives' tales that frequent bathing dries out the skin/coat, or that some dog breeds are somehow miraculously self-cleaning.  Neither is exactly true.

Some dog breeds, particularly the hounds, can have a distinctive odor.  For those dogs, IME it's basically impossible to do much about it.  You just have to learn to live with it.

The food you feed can help with pet smells.

But it's prob your upholstery and pet rugs/beds. I've also found draperies that are near where they lay can be dirty at the bottom and hold oils and such. I just don't see it until I look for it! lol

Try a good steam clean (if yours is the type that will be ok with this sort of cleaning) and open windows to air things out every day or so. I usually let my dog out early and just keep the door open for a few minutes (sliding door to back yard, opens right onto the area he lays in most often and where his kennel is). 

ETA: Of course I mean steam clean the upholstery, not the dogs...

I don't know if i can steam clean the couches. I'm not sure what type of fabric they are, although i have had to wipe them a few times when something was spilled on them. I didn't think of washing their bedding so I'll do that today. And because they are both short haired, I didn't think I needed to bathe them too often. i'll do that today too. And I also have floor length curtains near the beds, so I guess I'll toss those into the wash as well. Okay, I have some things to try. Thanks. :)

You have received some good advice.

With your couch, is there a place you could spot test? I have a Hoover floor cleaner and tried it on my couch on the back to be sure it would be OK. Now, I regularly use it on my couches (an off white/crem color). They are a 'rough' fabric, though. I would never use it on my microfiber.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I figured I'd put it out there in case you wanted to try it.  A little while ago one of our kittens urinated on one of my children's moon chairs, so I had to look up how to clean it.  I found a recipe and tried it out, and it got it out no problem with no smell whatsoever.  It says that it also works on old smells too, but I haven't gotten around to testing it on a place downstairs where an old cat had urinated and I couldn't get the smell out as good.  Keep meaning to try it there!  But it's basically for neutralizing odours, so I would imagine it would work on your couch/whatever fabric stuff.  Just make sure to test a small patch in an out of sight spot first, to make 100% sure it didn't bleach!!  (It didn't bleach the pink polyester covered chair at all, nor did it bleach our couch (can't remember what it is, that kind of material where you push your hand up it makes it darker, down makes it lighter, or the other way around).

16 oz Hydrogen Peroxide
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1 tablespoon Baking Soda

(I lowered the portions by far so that I didn't waste a bunch in case it didn't work.  Also, it suggests not leaving the recipe in a spray bottle, as it can cause it to build pressure after a time).

Original link where I found it: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/petdebate/msg1013260223390.html