Menu

"So who is the math teacher?"

Nart

I just got back from my first grade son's Back-To-School Night and I can't stop smiling. I am ecstatic.  My husband and I were the first parents to arrive and when we walked in the door the teacher asked us, "so who is the math teacher in the family?"  She went on to explain that my son had pointed out two addition problems and told her the answer was the same because it was the commutative property of addition. She added that she has noticed that he really likes math. When my husband mentioned that he was an English teacher, she said that she understood why he was such a good reader. 

The reason I am so happy is that in kindergarten, his teacher didn't realize he could fluently read at a mid-second grade level until the end of November. And it was only because he didn't have a partner to do shared reading that she read with him and then told me she was "blown away" that he could read. His kindergarten teacher also told us last spring that he wasn't very strong in math because he didn't accurately count 50 cubes when she made him count them one by one into a bucket (he was one off). She told us that he tried to put them in piles and so he needed to work on that. My son later told me that she wouldn't let him group them by 10's and how silly it would be to count by 1's when you can make 10's.  I never got the sense that his kindergarten teacher realized he was ahead in math (he completed SM 1A and 1B when he was in kindergarten). 

It is hard to share information like this without seeming like I am bragging in real life, so I thought I would share here with fellow afterschoolers.

I hope everyone else has had a good start to the school year as well.

Awesome! How wonderful that the teacher is taking an interest in correctly assessing your child, and is supportive of the work you do.

We lucked out here. My son's kindergarten teacher assessed his reading very accurately and does 1:1 reading with him since there aren't any other kids who read that well in the class. His own daughter was in the same position when she was in kindergarten so he is very willing to challenge my son on his level. Math is another story ... I think my son is doing the same thing as everyone else, but that's OK with me as I'd like to be the one to teach the new concepts.

I just got back from my first grade son's Back-To-School Night and I can't stop smiling. I am ecstatic. My husband and I were the first parents to arrive and when we walked in the door the teacher asked us, "so who is the math teacher in the family?" She went on to explain that my son had pointed out two addition problems and told her the answer was the same because it was the commutative property of addition. She added that she has noticed that he really likes math. When my husband mentioned that he was an English teacher, she said that she understood why he was such a good reader.

The reason I am so happy is that in kindergarten, his teacher didn't realize he could fluently read at a mid-second grade level until the end of November. And it was only because he didn't have a partner to do shared reading that she read with him and then told me she was "blown away" that he could read. His kindergarten teacher also told us last spring that he wasn't very strong in math because he didn't accurately count 50 cubes when she made him count them one by one into a bucket (he was one off). She told us that he tried to put them in piles and so he needed to work on that. My son later told me that she wouldn't let him group them by 10's and how silly it would be to count by 1's when you can make 10's. I never got the sense that his kindergarten teacher realized he was ahead in math (he completed SM 1A and 1B when he was in kindergarten).

It is hard to share information like this without seeming like I am bragging in real life, so I thought I would share here with fellow afterschoolers.

I hope everyone else has had a good start to the school year as well.

Sounds good for this year but last year's teacher needs to work on her testing methods.