Menu

Herriot's All Creatures Great & Small....

Would this be way too much for a 10.5 year old to listen to? She's planned on a career in veterinary medicine since she was two, and she really want to learn about animals, zoology, and veterinary topics this year for science. I honestly don't remember how old I was when I read this series, but it has been quite a while.

If it would be too much, I guess we'll stick with the Scientists in the Field series, maybe Dr. Doolittle...

James Herriot's Treasury for Children was much loved by ds. I don't think it is too young for a 10 year old, but you should check out the sample on Amazon to judge for yourself. I enjoyed it also, as did my father-in-law, and ds still won't let me sell it, although he is turning 15 this month. It was one of his all time favorite books.

http://www.amazon.com/James-Herriots-Treasury-Children-Creatures/dp/0312085125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379006748&sr=1-1

James Herriot's Treasury for Children was much loved by ds. I don't think it is too young for a 10 year old, but you should check out the sample on Amazon to judge for yourself. I enjoyed it also, as did my father-in-law, and ds still won't let me sell it, although he is turning 15 this month. It was one of his all time favorite books.

http://www.amazon.com/James-Herriots-Treasury-Children-Creatures/dp/0312085125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379006748&sr=1-1

We have read the Treasury for Children, and yes, she loved it. I was thinking more of the "adult" series...

http://www.amazon.com/Creatures-Great-Small-James-Herriot/dp/0312330855/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379008066&sr=1-1&keywords=all+creatures+great+and+small

Not too young at all imho. If she is stumped by some vocabulary this will be the perfect way for her to grow as a reader because she might be self motivated to learn/ look up the words as she reads. It might also tempt her as it did me to learn more about the Yorkshire countryside. The setting for me was as wonderful as the animal-human relationship angle.

This is one of the books covered in Lightning Literature 6. My daughter read it when she was probably 11.5 and loved it. The chapters are like separate adventures/stories, so it would also be okay to sample some and get a feel for it but not finish it now if it ends up being too much.

He goes into great detail about having his arm stuck inside the birth canal of cows, and maybe sheep, and a cat....  LoL.  There are some other funny references, such as his blindly grabbing a bull where he thought he was grabbing a cow's udders (it was behind a fence and had its back to him).  I decided to hold off until dd was 12+.

I have read some of the stories to my ten year old and she enjoys them. She really likes science and also wants to work with animals one day, so I think James Herriot's stories are an excellent mix of science and literature with some humor thrown in (we have read the adult book - not the treasury for children).

I absolutely adored these books as a child -- read them over, over and over again -- and just went downstairs to see what was on the shelf.  I vaguely recall that my copy of All Creatures Great and Small finally just disintegrated, but I have here a 1976 Bantam paperback version of the third book in the series, All Things Wise and Wonderful.  The inscription says, "April 1981, To Jenny on her 9th birthday. Love, Mommy and Daddy."  So I must have read the earlier two when I was 8.

Such wonderful books.  (But how on earth did I ever read such tiny print?!)