Menu

Dr. Hive: Advice needed for help for someone with serious depression

unsinkable

Update from the OP:

I'm out of the deepest part of the valley and that I have plans to see the appropriate doctor. I appreciate everyone's input on that thread. It did help. It definitely made me take things more seriously than I was before that. I mean, I knew that I needed help, but I didn't see it as "RUN TO THE ER NOW!!!" serious. And maybe I should have.

It's really better here for the moment. I promise that if it gets to that point again, I will go to the ER. And DH has agreed to call 911 or take me to the ER if I have another anxiety attack again.

Huge hugs, I'm sorry I missed this because I have a lot of experience (unfortunately).  Mine is treatment-resistant, so I've been on every med in the book and am on 6 different ones as we speak.  Panic attacks are recent too.  I've had thoughts of suicide and of being committed, but I think it's finally gotten into my head how much damage killing myself would do to the girls.  Hold on to  your kids.  No matter how old they are, they need you.  If that's the only reason you can drag out some days, that's perfectly fine.  It's good that your DH is aware of the situation - mine has my best interests at heart too.  I hope you see a doctor who will take you seriously soon and that you find some meds to help you out.  I would also gladly chat with anyone via PM if necessary.

Depression is a major player in our immediate family.   Here are some radio clips that I have found very interesting about the future of medication for those who suffer from depression.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/23/145525853/when-it-comes-to-depression-serotonin-isnt-the-whole-story

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/30/145992588/could-a-club-drug-offer-almost-immediate-relief-from-depression

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/31/146096540/i-wanted-to-live-new-depression-drugs-offer-hope-for-toughest-cases

I also want to add...from my own experience, help isn't always as quick as we would like.  I am sad to say that it took one of my children several weeks to convince me to take her to the doctor.  I thought it was PMS ("This too shall pass.").  And when we did go?  She was put on a five month waiting list.  After we finally got in to see the psychologist, It took another six weeks of visits before it was decided that my daughter needed more than cognitive behavioral therapy.  She also needed meds.  Then there was months of tweaking.  It is not a quick process.

I agree with many others here.  If the need is urgent, skip the usual appointments and go for immediate care.

Anonymous, people generally aren't admitted to an inpatient psych hospital for anxiety.  Anxiety can be terribly debilitating, though, and medications and CBT therapy are very helpful.  Many people take SSRI antidepressants for anxiety as well as depression. 

Please consult a therapist, who can evaluate the severity of your suicidal thoughts and refer to a psychiatrist as needed.

Anxiety can be slower to respond to the SSRI's than depression so I would urge you to seek preventive help rather than letting things get so bad that the ER is needed.  A medical ER is not very helpful for an anxiety attack.  Recurring or ongoing mental health issues should be treated like a recurring/ongoing physical health issue like diabetes or asthma.  Prevention of a crisis is much better for everyone involved than treatment in the middle of a crisis.

Guest submarines

Anonymous, people generally aren't admitted to an inpatient psych hospital for anxiety.  Anxiety can be terribly debilitating, though, and medications and CBT therapy are very helpful.  Many people take SSRI antidepressants for anxiety as well as depression. 

Please consult a therapist, who can evaluate the severity of your suicidal thoughts and refer to a psychiatrist as needed.

Anxiety can be slower to respond to the SSRI's than depression so I would urge you to seek preventive help rather than letting things get so bad that the ER is needed.  A medical ER is not very helpful for an anxiety attack.  Recurring or ongoing mental health issues should be treated like a recurring/ongoing physical health issue like diabetes or asthma.  Prevention of a crisis is much better for everyone involved than treatment in the middle of a crisis.

:iagree: Please don't wait for another crisis. Seek help while you are doing better. 

OP, I'm so very glad to read your update. Because the drugs take a while to kick in, though, starting now would be really good. If you are in a dark place when you start, there will be that wait. And a lot of people tend to put off when it's not quite that dark, making it tougher. So I so hope your appt is very soon or can be moved up as urgent.

PollyOR, I was going to post about something similar. I think targeting glutamine, as mentioned in the last article and the likely mechanism for the Ketamine, is going to change the treatment landscape for both anxiety and depression. I don't know that it's the issue with every one, of course. But it surely is the case with my family line. And so I'm so excited to see other treatment options available. There are safe ones to affect glutamine; my son is taking one now.