Menu

Big Tent versus yahoo groups?

Mrs Mungo

Has anyone moved their homeschool group/list to Big Tent? Half of the features on yahoo don't seem to be working since the latest update. Invites aren't going through, new posts aren't going through, etc. Anyone else having these issues with yahoo? How is Big Tent working for anyone who has switched?

I moved our group. Very happy with the switch. I haven't figured it all out yet but so far it's good.

Yahoo stinks. I couldn't even export to big tent with this new update, had to copy list of emails and invite over several days.

I like the classified feature!!

And you can have different levels if admins, like a field trip leader, membership leader, etc.

It's been a good transition for us

Our group is on Facebook, which I greatly dislike.  I'm part of another group that's on Meetup, which I like as a user, but the admin tells me it's been terribly glitchy and that their customer service is wretched.  I'm glad to hear favorable reviews of BigTent.  It's on my list of sites to check out.

Is Big Tent free? For all of the questions I'm finding answers to on their website, that's the one I can't figure out.

To my understanding, yes. I think that you can pay for special features, but we've got messages, calendar, RSVP features and I'm pretty sure the group doesn't pay. Members definitely don't.

My group was 172 members....but I know we have an active base of 60ish, so I'm hoping it weeds out the others lol!!!

We just sent out invites this weekend and more than half my active have made the move, I expect in another week more will come

Thanks, my group was over 1700 last I looked. (I notice the new format does tell you how many are in the group now). Things would have to be much worse than now for me to consider a move. I can't even export the list because it is over 1000 unless I guess I am willing to hand check all the member check boxes. 

I will say yahoo not being helpful in exporting was my biggest gripe in moving it over.  I spent a few days with the export list, copying the emails, deleting the name part and then putting in 100 at a time into Big Tent for invites.  However, I also just posted the link of the group for people to join and that seems to have been more helpful to them anyway.  You can set up the invites to not have to be approved though, so that choice was easy for me vs them just joining the group on their own.  

Like i said, I hope to weed out a lot of people anyway.....