Menu

Job application question, please help

TrixieB

I am getting ready to apply for part-time jobs (probably retail, so I can work evenings/weekends and homeschool during the day).

On the apps, there is a section that says: 

"Employment References -- preferably persons that are familiar with your work background."  Then it has spaces for their names, phone numbers, years known, employer/business address/phone.

This is not the same section that asks for my previous work history.  It's separate.

SO...

I haven't had a paying job in 15 years, aside from an eight-month stint working in a church nursery eleven years ago.  I have totally lost contact with all of my former bosses and most of my co-workers.  There is one co-worker I might be able to track down.  I am at a bit of a loss who to use for employment references.

One thing I thought about -- my kids have been involved in an academic co-op for several years.  Every year I perform volunteer jobs, anything from helping to set up & clean classrooms, supervise study areas, help teachers during class time, etc.  Would it be reasonable to ask one of the teachers I assisted last year to be one of my employment references?  Or... any ideas what I should do?

If you regularly volunteer, I would not hesitate to list someone you report to in the organization as a reference. Just because it is unpaid work, that does not negate the fact that it is work and that someone can attest to your work ethic or interpersonal skills.

When I go back to work full time, one of my key references will be our 4-H education program coordinator. She and I work together A LOT - albeit she gets paid, and I do not. She knows what I am capable of, and would not hesitate to provide a reference.

Yes, put down anyone familiar with your attitudes and work habits.

I was laid off during maternity leave with my firstborn, and I decided to take a year off.  During that year, nearly everyone I worked with left (either lost their jobs, retired, or left the area for other employment).  The only work reference I had was the guy who wrote my final performance appraisal, which he did by interviewing what few employees of mine he could find and by calling my main customers.  He had heard of me, but we had never met.

So I put him down, one of my main customers, and the rest were volunteer references.  When I had the phone interview with HR, I made sure to explain the situation, and they were good with it.

Oh, and they were in a hurry to hire, so I had to take my 1-year-old with me to the face-to-face interview.  I told them that I needed to line up childcare, and they told me to bring the kid!

And I was hired on the spot.  

Several years later, a college closer to me advertised, and I applied there for summer teaching.  They wanted a reference from someone I had a taught.  Sigh.  I didn't feel comfortable tracking down college students after the semester, so I used someone I had taught in a volunteer situation.

I got that one too.

I would end up leaving it blank and hope I get a chance during an interview to explain that I've been a SAHM for so many years and have no work references. I like your idea of having someone at the co-op at least be able to tell of your dependability in volunteering.

A big, blank reference section is a guarantee that you will not get any interview. I would not advise leaving any holes on the application at all. Rather, list the volunteer references and explain that you have been out of the salaried work force, but that these references are for people with whom you have worked extensively in unpaid positions.

A big, blank reference section is a guarantee that you will not get any interview. I would not advise leaving any holes on the application at all. Rather, list the volunteer references and explain that you have been out of the salaried work force, but that these references are for people with whom you have worked extensively in unpaid positions.

This.

See, that will be a serious problem for me. I'm not the OP.  I have no volunteer experience and don't even have any friends. It's unfair that I wouldn't be given a chance but such is life.

See, that will be a serious problem for me. I'm not the OP.  I have no volunteer experience and don't even have any friends. It's unfair that I wouldn't be given a chance but such is life.

I don't think it's unfair. Even teens looking for a first job have to come up with references (my daughter used people from pet sitting and volunteering). An employer who looks up references is trying to assess a job candidate's reliability and suitability for the job. If you give them no reference they can't make any judgement at all. I would think most employers would prefer to take a chance on a candidate who has given them some information rather than none. 

Additionally, it is my understanding that if you want to get back into the job market after a big break volunteer work can be key experience for your resume. It gives you references. It expands your networking in a job search. If you are able to find a good volunteer position, it may even give you experience in the field in which you are looking for paid work. 

The job market is very competitive in many areas, and employers are unlikely to take a risk with someone who can't name anyone who can vouch for their stated work experience and skills when they have numerous candidates who have similar skills as well as references. Whether it seems fair or not, it's reality. If you think you will be looking for work in the future, now might be a good time to start getting involved in the community and making some contacts.

The job market is very competitive in many areas, and employers are unlikely to take a risk with someone who can't name anyone who can vouch for their stated work experience and skills when they have numerous candidates who have similar skills as well as references. Whether it seems fair or not, it's reality. If you think you will be looking for work in the future, now might be a good time to start getting involved in the community and making some contacts.

Very true. It is one reason that I've tried not to be too overly isolated, be it volunteering through 4-H, church, at the local hospital, whatever...having contacts is important because I can't absolutely guarantee that nothing will ever happen to DH or that I will never again need to support myself. Even offering to teach a skill such as sewing in your home will give you references from the parents of the students you work with, though I realize with time demands, it can be very hard to carve out the hours for such ventures. But, I do think it's important for stay at home parents to consider trying to keep up with some pursuit that will lead to references if they ever need to get back into the job market.

It's crazy, competitive out there right now.

Very true. It is one reason that I've tried not to be too overly isolated, be it volunteering through 4-H, church, at the local hospital, whatever...having contacts is important because I can't absolutely guarantee that nothing will ever happen to DH or that I will never again need to support myself. Even offering to teach a skill such as sewing in your home will give you references from the parents of the students you work with, though I realize with time demands, it can be very hard to carve out the hours for such ventures. But, I do think it's important for stay at home parents to consider trying to keep up with some pursuit that will lead to references if they ever need to get back into the job market.

I am SO seeing the importance of what you're saying.  I wish I had done significantly more volunteer work (with church perhaps, or elsewhere) but I am relieved that at least I have several people I can list as references due to the volunteering I have done/am doing for co-op.

It is very easy, for me at least, to get so busy with teaching my children and running our home, that I neglect to carve out time for other pursuits.  For financial reasons I'm now being forced to do so.  It would be easier if I'd been in the habit all along.

I've helped a number of college students and friends with job applications of late, and it is indeed tough out there.  You must have some sort of reference that indicates that you're going to show up and do the job, or you won't be in the running.  Otherwise they have no reason to believe that you'll be there when they need you to be there.