Menu

KONOS or Prairie Primer: pros and cons of each

edeemarie

I am really leaning toward doing some unit studies with my kids. I have been doing some reviews on my blog for a few things that are unit studies and the kids seem so much more excited about school work!

So I am looking into either KONOS or the Prairie Primer. Can you help me figure out the pros and cons of each? Has anyone used both? Are they similar enough that it would be a toss up between the two? My kids ages are in my signature if that makes any difference.

Thanks so much!

I have used unit studies for most of the 19 years I've been homeschooling.  They work.  Kids retain so much more with active, discovery learning.  Both of my kids received scholarships to their respective universities and are regularly praised by their professors for the depth of knowledge they have on the subject matter being taught in their classes (civil war history and astronomy come to mind...we did KONOS units on both of those subjects).

KONOS is awesome, and you will not go wrong with it.  My kids would often say to me, "Do we have to do school today?  Can't we just do KONOS instead?"  Yeah.  They didn't think KONOS was school...it was just something we did for fun.

I've used Prairie Primer as well, and that is fine, too.  It's very specific, so it wouldn't work for me for an entire year's worth of curriculum...I liked to alternate history heavy and science heavy units throughout the year, but I did use it and we had fun with it.

If you're just beginning your unit study journey, I would recommend starting with Konos in a Box.  It will teach you how to teach a unit study.  Each Konos in a Box unit is pulled from the original Volume 1, expanded and includes language arts lessons not in the original volume.  As with all unit studies, teach to your oldest child...your younger kids will pick up what they need.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I'm much better at answering specific questions.  LOL

We read the LH series. I had Prairie Primer (PP) and the cookbook. That was the year Mom got sick. I commuted to the hospital and stayed with her nights for the better part of 3 months, until she died. Reading the LH books during that time gave me comfort. School was mostly the dc's snuggling with me while I read the LH books aloud. Boy, did my soul and my dc need that at that time, and in the months that followed while I was in deep mourning. My kids were young, and there was little table work.

All that rambling is to say, b/c of my unique circumstances that year, I didn't use PP to the fullest. We did some projects, but the thing I liked the most was the reading order. By saving Farmer Boy till later, we met Almonzo when Laura did. :)

I've never used KONOS, but we are planning to use the PP this year. I think it would be a lot of fun for your kids' ages, especially the first several books. Some of the later ones may be a bit girly for your boys' liking. If you have not studied a lot of pioneer history and crafts, I think PP would be good. I am a little concerned that it won't have a lot of new history for my 11yp DD, who has been through her own early American history obsessions, so I may need to supplement the PP for her for history. I love that the PP has a lot of science and nature included in it, and I'm thinking that my DD will really enjoy using our Little House cookbook more with it. I think my 4 and 8 yo boys will get a kick out of it too.

Thank you, ladies! As I look more into the options I will probably come back with more specific questions:) It sounds like they will both be great...I will just have to see if my son will enjoy reading ALL of the LH books! I think with all of the activities included he would be just fine.

I thought of a question:) Does anyone know the difference between the old and new editions of KONOS? Thanks!

I am really leaning toward doing some unit studies with my kids. I have been doing some reviews on my blog for a few things that are unit studies and the kids seem so much more excited about school work!

So I am looking into either KONOS or the Prairie Primer. Can you help me figure out the pros and cons of each? Has anyone used both? Are they similar enough that it would be a toss up between the two? My kids ages are in my signature if that makes any difference.

Thanks so much!

The only similarity between them is that they are both unit studies. :-)

When I chose KONOS, PP had not yet been written. My choices were between KONOS and the Weaver. I chose KONOS because it was far more flexible than the Weaver, it didn't emphasize grade levels, and all activities had to do with godly character traits such as responsibility, courage, and wisdom (I did Volume 2). So you might choose KONOS because you think doing Bible, history, geography, science, arts and crafts are centered on godly character traits (and I'd recommend Vol. 2 because of the ages of your children).

I looked through PP and it seemed as if it would be interesting and enjoyable. The thing that threw me off was that activities were scheduled for Monday through Friday...but what if I wanted to be out of the house every Thursday? How could I do Thursday's activities on Friday, and then what would I do on Monday? :lol: It isn't easy being Mr. Monk's clone, lol.

KONOS has an awesome timeline, too.

I think your 9 yo will get the most out of PP. I tried it when my dd was 7 and it was a bit too much reading for her. I didn't want to skip a lot or down play the lessons too much so I decided to put it to the side for awhile till my dd matured more. The Scripture memory was a bit long for my dd (other kids do well with that though) at that time, reading too long (at that time), writing assignments and research were above her at time as well. Now I feel like she could handle a good deal of it. As we proceed thru history with POAG and Bigger Hearts, I am considering parking with PP when we get to that time period.

The first unit was very enjoyable for us. Besides the wonderful LH book we selected By the Great Horn Spoon for our other book. For the Gold Rush party I added an idea I got from somewhere: spray paint some fish tank rocks with gold paint for dd to pan for in the sandbox. I sewed a small bag out of burlap for her *pay dirt*. This was so much fun!

If you do go with PP make sure to read the notes. Most people skip this, but there is some fantastic info in there that you may not get elsewhere. Margie knows her stuff where the Indians (among other things) are concerned and I really appreciate her perspective.

I looked through PP and it seemed as if it would be interesting and enjoyable. The thing that threw me off was that activities were scheduled for Monday through Friday...but what if I wanted to be out of the house every Thursday? How could I do Thursday's activities on Friday, and then what would I do on Monday? :lol: It isn't easy being Mr. Monk's clone, lol.

The bold above made me LOL out loud

Ellie, you make a good point about PP...one I didn't consider. We school Mon-Thurs. with other random days off when we did it. I would rather have a day 1, day 2... schedule than a Monday, Tuesday... schedule.

I am curious why you would recommend volume 2 in KONOS. Everyone seems to recommend volume 1 to begin. And I do love the look of the timeline!

Ellie, you make a good point about PP...one I didn't consider. We school Mon-Thurs. with other random days off when we did it. I would rather have a day 1, day 2... schedule than a Monday, Tuesday... schedule.

I am curious why you would recommend volume 2 in KONOS. Everyone seems to recommend volume 1 to begin. And I do love the look of the timeline!

KONOS volumes do not need to be done in any specific order. HOWEVER, although all of them can be done with children of all ages, the rule of thumb is to teach to the oldest child and let the younger ones come along; Volume 1 is best suited for dc up to, oh, about 9yo, Volume 2 up to 12ish, and Volume 3 up to 13ish. Jessica Hulcey and Carole Thaxton wrote Volume 1 when their dc were young, Volume 2 when they were older, and Volume 3 when they were older still, so it only makes sense that the activities in each one were most suitable for the ages of the oldest dc they had, KWIM? So yes, if I remember the ages of your dc correctly, IMHO Volume 2 would be the best one to start with, even though your oldest is 9. I'd do Volume 2 for two years, all the character traits each year but with different activities each time

Also, Volume 2 is the only one that should be done in the order of the character traits, as it is the only one in which history is studied chronologically--early scientists, early explorers, early American settlers, Revolutionary War, writing of the Constitution.

But if you like the character traits and activities in Volume 1, then do Volume 1. You can't go wrong either way. :-)

I have never used prairie primer but we are using konos this year (primarily with my youngers though my teens are welcome to join in) they are loving it.  In fact the only thing that gets ranked above konos time is hand bells.  They would happily do away with all school as long as I kept those 2 things.  I really like that while they are learning tons while studying these units and they are so hands on,the focus really is on the character trait not just the content,I also like that it gives ideas of lesson plans for younger, middlers and older kids, making it possible to use with the whole family.  This week we are working on Trapping/Tracking/Frontiersmen out of the attentiveness unit.  We started it a little in the summer when they made their coon tail caps, we went hiking in the woods and found animal tracks, made moccasins etc.  This week we read about Daniel Boone, practiced using a compass, and made possibles bags.  Next week I have animal track bingo, animal track rubbing plates, animal track stamps, we are going to attempt to do a plaster cast of a track, and more reading etc.  The following week will be a much desired fieldtrip to the museum to see the displays and learn about taxadermy and the list goes on.  It really is a phenomenal listing of books, movies, activities etc.  The kids are asking to study the ear next so we will do that one once we are done with this topic.  We opted to start with vol 1, the traits we are doing are in my siggy.  I find no problem using it with my kids even the teens, even with the comments about being for up to age 9, I don't see that at all.  The activities for older ages include written reports etc not just the hands on stuff.

Just for information sake PP schedules 4 day weeks and they are labeled Day 1, Day 2, etc.

When I run across something that I don't get done on the assigned day I make a note of it as a reminder to get to it the next day or when I have time. Yellow stickies are great for this

Ah. Possibly I was not the only one who was bothered by days of the week being specified and that was changed. It has been many years since I reviewed PP. :-)

Are you looking for a short term or long term program? That would be my first thought in choosing.

Secondly, I'd think about whether I really want to do a LOT of Little House books THIS year. It's a pretty narrow focus. Cute, but narrow. Me, I just kinda want to read the books when I want to read them.