Menu

Well, the carpet is being ripped up as I type...

Dh got up this morning and began ripping up that nasty carpet and is almost done! You simply cannot imagine the amount of dirt underneath. :001_huh: Oh.my.gosh. We were breathing that stuff! :001_huh: I am no longer a fan of carpeting. So, the floor underneath is what I expected. It's 4x8 sheets of wood all throughout. So, this is my plan. We have a pale yellow and sage green can of latex interior paint from way back when. I was going to paint my bedroom that color. Well, my plan is to use those colors and paint each alternating 4x8 sheet...green, yellow, green, yellow, etc. What do you think? It would save us money in buying more paint and all we would have to do is buy a good polyurethane to seal the floor after painting! What do you think? I know it sounds crazy, but it will be very colorful!

Dh got up this morning and began ripping up that nasty carpet and is almost done! You simply cannot imagine the amount of dirt underneath. :001_huh: Oh.my.gosh. We were breathing that stuff! :001_huh: I am no longer a fan of carpeting. So, the floor underneath is what I expected. It's 4x8 sheets of wood all throughout. So, this is my plan. We have a pale yellow and sage green can of latex interior paint from way back when. I was going to paint my bedroom that color. Well, my plan is to use those colors and paint each alternating 4x8 sheet...green, yellow, green, yellow, etc. What do you think? It would save us money in buying more paint and all we would have to do is buy a good polyurethane to seal the floor after painting! What do you think? I know it sounds crazy, but it will be very colorful!

Sounds fun! Make sure you clean, prep, and prime the wood first. And check first to make sure poly will work over latex.

Cool!!! As for the painting...

I have used latex paint with polyacrylic over the top on the floors in my kitchen, and it has held up for about three and half years now. At the time, I was hoping it would stave off my insanity (every time I looked at the old floor) for 6 months, till we could really put in new floors, but I'm afraid it has worked a little *too* well! ;)

(I hate carpet. Hate, hate, hate it. And the muck that gets trapped under it! Shudder!!!)

I'd make the pattern smaller, maybe one half or one fourth of a sheet per color block. Otherwise, it will just scream, "Look, each of us is a sheet of plywood!" With a smaller pattern, it will just say, "My owner cared enough to paint me in a very chic, geometric pattern." It'll take a little more time, and some tape, but I think it would be worth the effort.

Congratulations on removing all those nasty who-knows-whats from your living space. :tongue_smilie:

I know what you mean about the grossness under carpet. I was so disgusted when we tore ours out a couple months ago. We laid 1 foot vinyl squares in one room. Very cheap and looks good. We got them on clearance for 78 cents a square.

Painting your floors would look really cool. You'll have to post pictures when you're finished.