Menu

Giving up sugar

ficbot

I have a huge sugar problem! Does anyone else? I know it is bad for me but it is just so hard to resist! I have a sister (who is only four years older) has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes so I am a little concerned about this. My doctor would like me to give up all refined sugar (natural sugar like in fruit or whole grains is okay) and I am struggling. I know I shouldn't eat it. I know what I should eat instead. But the cravings are horrible and I never last more than a few days. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Does anyone want to try quitting with me so at least I have some company?

give yourself splurges here and there.

I am type 2 diabetic and typically only eat natural sugars.  I have to limit my white potatoes, pastas, corn products as well. AND I am sensitive to dairy, soy and nuts. So, I do get some maddening cravings here or there. I used to binge and then hate myself. So now, I set goals. Some times I allow one biscoff cookie after I work out or I will let myself have a "bad treat" like cheesecake (yum) but smaller portion on the weekend. The key is to find balance. You won't make it if you are miserable. After a while, your tastes do evolve and you learn to appreciate things other than sweets but in the mean time, you have to allow some grace and compromise!

it sounds like you are having a candida reaction.  candida yeast lives in the gut, and feeds on sugar.  it will cause sugar cravings when it is hungry.  the more sugar you eat, the more it will multiply.

I would suggest doing a candida cleanse to kill the yeast, AND adding a probiotic (which are the good bacteria).   my sugar cravings will cut out within a day or two of starting a candida cleanse.  start slowly - yeast die off can have unpleasant side-effects.  drink lots of water.

I did a yeast free diet years ago - which included NO fruit (fructose) and NO milk (lactose).  I do NOT substitute artificial sweeteners or use "natural" alternative sweeteners.   the best I have ever felt in my life, was when I ingested NO sugar of any kind.  not even natural ones.  I found a graham cracker during that time was extremely sweet.

Last spring I followed a weightloss program through my health insurance.  During the first 3 weeks we were told not to eat any added sugar, and to be careful of natural sugars - for example, they recommended not drinking milk as a beverage, and not eating cold cereal (because that generally is eaten with milk).  Plain yogurt was OK but not highly recommended.  You get the picture.

I didn't think I could go three weeks without sugar.  But I did it, and after it was over I found my desire for sugar had decreased greatly.  I also learned how to control my sugar intake better and not eat it for the sake of the "sugar hit" but rather as a portion-controlled part of a meal.  (No more dipping into the bag of chocolate chips when feeling frustrated, for example.)

I have heard that the supplement L-Glutamine can help with sugar cravings. I didn't use it myself, and I'm not a health-care practitioner of any kind, so I'm not recommending it, just passing on the information.

Hope you find something that works for you! 

Surer has long been my personal nemesis. I'm on the tail end of Whole30 and the difference is astounding. I plan on keeping the sugar out of my regular diet and treating it like I do alcohol as a very occasional treat, though I plan on reintroducing other foods.

I didn't totally give it up. But I did stop using in the biggest form - beverages. No soda, no sugar in my tea (except for the plop of milk per cup), no sweetened beverages at all. I started using 3/4 of a teaspoon of stevia instead. The weight loss plateau disappeared.

On occasion I do have a handful of timbits (donut holes) or a piece of cake or something to be a treat. It was hard the first 2 or 3 days. I swear quitting sugar is harder than quitting smoking.