Menu

Weighted grades, GPA, and University of Alabama

8filltheheart

Ok....I am waiting for an answer on "how to weight," but the answer to the question of "should you weight" is an absolute YES.   They do NOT convert grades.   All students are compared strictly based on the GPA on the transcript.   Guidance counselors may include a letter translating a non-weighted GPA into a weighted GPA if their schools do not weight.

I asked the person to whom I was speaking what is standard weighting since we don't weight.  I asked if an AP course and 200-300 level college classes should have the same weight.   She did not know and transferred to a busy #.  I will post the answer when I have one.

Then I need to decide if I want to generate a transcript specifically for them or if I want to handle it just via a letter.  Sigh.   I really don't like the counselor role at all.  

For the Florida state scholarships all AP, IB and (academic) dual enrollment classes are weighted .5 per year course or .25 per semester course. I would do a new transcript, less chance of an error that way.  Admissions might accidentally use the unweighted transcript.

I just got off the phone. They said that they see no standard form of weighting and that they could not answer the question. When asked more questions, she told me that they simply accept whatever schools give them and leave them like that......face value GPA. When I asked about college level classes and weight, she said they do not use classes taken through dual enrollment in the GPA. So, does that mean that ps don't include dual enrolled classes in the GPA or does that mean they remove dual enrolled classes from the GPA. I did not get a clear answer..... basically she did not want to answer any GPA questions). Eta: But, after talking to Auburn, I think I understand. It is bc they automatically qualify students with gpa's over 3.5, so probably the majority of students qualify regardless of weighting or not...the difference is the Auburn does recalculate if students' schools don't.

And Candid, GPAs and test scores are the determinants for scholarship $$. So, if a student applies from a school that doesn't weight, unless the guidance counselor includes a letter with the weighted GPA, a 4.0 student would be compared to a possible 6.0. And that is how scholarships are awarded.

For the Florida state scholarships all AP, IB and (academic) dual enrollment classes are weighted .5 per year course or .25 per semester course. I would do a new transcript, less chance of an error that way.  Admissions might accidentally use the unweighted transcript.

That makes no sense to me.  Seriously.   So a yr long physics AB course (which is simply alg based) would receive .5 weight but a 300 level mechanics course would only receive .25?   That is really ridiculous. 

I just got off the phone.  They said that they see no standard form of weighting and that they could not answer the question.   When asked more questions, she told me that they simply accept whatever schools give them and leave them like that......face value GPA.   When I asked about college level classes and weight, she said they do not use classes taken through dual enrollment in the GPA.  :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:    So, 200-300 level classes won't be included (they don't re-weigh, but they don't use dual enrolled courses.   So, does that mean that ps don't include dual enrolled classes in the GPA or does that mean they remove dual enrolled classes from the GPA.....she was incredibly unhelpful in giving an actual answer basically b/c she did not want to answer any GPA questions)

And Candid, GPAs and test scores are the determinants for scholarship $$.   So, if a student applies from a school that doesn't weight, unless the guidance counselor includes a letter with the weighted GPA, a 4.0 student would be compared to a possible 6.0.   And that is how scholarships are awarded.  

This is about the goofiest thing I have ever heard. Are most applicants from Alabama where there is essentially a standard weight given to various courses (honors, AP, whatever)?

I would also talk to the Physics department.  Let them know that your son's 200 and 300 level coursework taken as a high school student is not be considered when scholarships are determined.  You might find someone more helpful there who is willing to have a little chat with Admissions over a student that they might want in their department.

Good grief!

This is about the goofiest thing I have ever heard. Are most applicants from Alabama where there is essentially a standard weight given to various courses (honors, AP, whatever)?

I would also talk to the Physics department.  Let them know that your son's 200 and 300 level coursework taken as a high school student is not be considered when scholarships are determined.  You might find someone more helpful there who is willing to have a little chat with Admissions over a student that they might want in their department.

Good grief!

Well, I just got off the phone with Auburn and they do not incorporate any dual enrolled classes in the GPA.   So, I am assuming that is what UA  is actually saying as well.

HOwever, one thing that Auburn told me is that students only need to have a gpa above a 3.5 to automatically qualify, so it doesn't matter if they are weighted or not if the gpa is above that.   

Jane,  could I induce you to take over my role?   My poor 3 yr old is so confused b/c she is used to some days being school days and some not.   This weekend kept saying,  "I thought today wasn't a school day."

I agree with Regentrude on the higher level of difficulty of even a 200 level course, let alone 300 level.  In my English degree, 100 level courses were introductory.  That was the level that one could test out of, either through a high AP score or through the school's validation exam.  But otherwise, all freshmen took those two semester long courses.

200 level courses were introductory majors courses.  English majors had to take the 200 level courses (or a majority of the courses - sometimes it was a pick 3 of the following option) and those courses were typically prerequisites for upper level work.  They moved fast.  I typically read a book or play a week in each majors class and had a paper due in each class each week.

If I had a student taking 200 or 300 level courses, I would feel absolutely not guilt about giving them higher weight than that for an AP class or 100 level CC class.

I might try to talk to someone higher up the food chain.  I've found that often the first person to answer the phone in admissions has only been there a couple of years.  They are pretty good at answering the general questions that make up the bulk of phone calls.  But they may not be prepared for the detailed, in depth questions.

[Though just to give you the perspective that there is nonsense all over, dh had a subordinate who was applying for a master's program.  But his undergrad degree is from Brown University, which hasn't given out gpa in over 40 years.  The master's program he was applying to didn't know what to do with that either.]

That makes no sense to me.  Seriously.   So a yr long physics AB course (which is simply alg based) would receive .5 weight but a 300 level mechanics course would only receive .25?   That is really ridiculous. 

I could have worded that better. IF the mechanics class is 4 credits or more it would be considered a year long course and receive the .5 weighting, even if completed in one semester.  But otherwise yes, an advanced calculus-based physics class will have the same weighting as an advanced algebra-based physics class.  Really, it is no different than a student who only took Algebra and Geometry being compared to the student that also took Precalculus, Calculus and Statistics (assuming no APs.)  They will both carry GPAs without any weighted classes, despite the one student taking several more difficult math classes.

And Candid, GPAs and test scores are the determinants for scholarship $$.   So, if a student applies from a school that doesn't weight, unless the guidance counselor includes a letter with the weighted GPA, a 4.0 student would be compared to a possible 6.0.   And that is how scholarships are awarded.  

I'm still not convinced they will only look at the GPA. Does the person answering you sit on the awards committee? Did they last year? The one thing I have become increasingly cynical about in this process is whether the canned answers are accurate. Sometimes they just say fairly generic stuff because they know that whatever happens in process is generally covered by the statement.

So, yes, the scholarships are awarded to people by GPA, but is there any sort of sorting going on? Or does the absolute highest combination of GPA and score get the award? The scholarships that my child will be in the running for will definitely be looking at other components as well so how much goofy GPAs come into play is a bit more nebulous. 

Suppose you weight all your classes 10X higher than anyone else does that does mean your child will then win? If no, why not: they had the highest. I don't believe they award scholarships purely by numbers for the most part (obviously there are exceptions) and if it is not purely by the numbers then somebody, somewhere is thinking about the GPA and what it says not just plugging it into a calculator. 

I might try to talk to someone higher up the food chain.  I've found that often the first person to answer the phone in admissions has only been there a couple of years.  They are pretty good at answering the general questions that make up the bulk of phone calls.  But they may not be prepared for the detailed, in depth questions.

[Though just to give you the perspective that there is nonsense all over, dh had a subordinate who was applying for a master's program.  But his undergrad degree is from Brown University, which hasn't given out gpa in over 40 years.  The master's program he was applying to didn't know what to do with that either.]

:iagree:

If you must learn this, then you need to find someone who is actually part of the decision making process. 

I could have worded that better. IF the mechanics class is 4 credits or more it would be considered a year long course and receive the .5 weighting, even if completed in one semester.  But otherwise yes, an advanced calculus-based physics class will have the same weighting as an advanced algebra-based physics class.  Really, it is no different than a student who only took Algebra and Geometry being compared to the student that also took Precalculus, Calculus and Statistics (assuming no APs.)  They will both carry GPAs without any weighted classes, despite the one student taking several more difficult math classes.

Actually, I don't think they are comparable.   It is irrelevant, though, b/c apparently they don't include them at all.  (which is even more strange to me!)   Most upper level courses are going to be weighted in a weighted system with APs receiving more weight than honors b/c they are more difficult.   Most high school students do not have the option of taking more difficult courses than introductory level dual enrolled classes (which are often easier than APs or on par with APs).   Either the difficulty of the work matters (weighted gpas) or it doesn't (unweighted.)   I personally do not weight, but if a system does, it should at least be logical.    Even 4 cr vs. 3 cr isn't a real distinction in difficulty but amt of time.   Lab courses are going to take more time, but they are not necessarily more advanced.

U of AL gives automatic scholarships based on test scores as long as the GPA is 3.5. If you have a 30 in ACT in state or 32 out of state, you get a full tuition scholarship.THere are several scholarships that are even better but they are not based on GPA.  Those involve special applications and maybe an interview??  

They asked for you to weight according to your standards, and that is what I would do - screw their stupidity:

any college course above AP level - 6.0 for an A

Any college course at AP level - 5.0 for an A.

Translate those into "home school high school course equivalent" and list them on your homeschool transcript as homeschool courses.

Put an asterisk and a note and explain why they get a 6.0 (because they are upper level college level) or a 5.0 (intro college level), or even better, explain this in the grading scale you include on the transcript.

The university is sending their own transcript, so the admissions people can unweight your grades if they so choose.

But hey, they ask for it, they get it. YOU are the principal, and the student fulfills YOUR school's requirement for a 6.0. Boom, done, end of story.

U of AL gives automatic scholarships based on test scores as long as the GPA is 3.5. If you have a 30 in ACT in state or 32 out of state, you get a full tuition scholarship.THere are several scholarships that are even better but they are not based on GPA. Those involve special applications and maybe an interview??

After talking to Auburn, that is my understanding now. Though I am still confused about their stacking/not stacking of scholarships. This process is very different forum other schools he is looking at.

The university is sending their own transcript, so the admissions people can unweight your grades if they so choose.

But hey, they ask for it, they get it. YOU are the principal, and the student fulfills YOUR school's requirement for a 6.0. Boom, done, end of story.

They actually don't even include grades from dual enrolled courses. I asked why and he said bc they have already gotten college credit for them. Not quite sure how that is different from APs?

At this pt, I have more important counselor issues I need to deal with on top of managing everything else, so I am just going to accept what I was told and move on.