Menu

My Grammar plan fell through-- need quick replacement ideas

starwarsmomma

I have 5th and 6th grade boys.

Last year we did the grammar program through Virtual Homeschool and the boys loved it.  Signed up for this year, and when we started school today realized this year is IDENTICAL to last year.  

As much as I'd like them to do it, I can't have them repeat the exact same thing.

I was thinking Rod & Staff (either 4 or 5) but it's SOOOOO dry!

MCT is expensive and I'm not sure what all I would need?  The guy who asnwered their phone said I needed MCT Voyage TM, one of the Voyage student books, TWO Practice voyage workbooks and a Practice Voyage TM...  $88+tax.  OUCH!  is that right???  Worth it????

We have done easy grammar in the past and there was NO retention from any of my kids.

The KISS website gives me a headache and I don't want to print.

Looked at ACE PACES (5) but the samples looked kinda bad...

I do have giggle grammar sitting in the cabinet....

Also-- do ya'll do grammar once a day or just once a week???

None of us are happy about any grammar program, so I'm just looking for something short, simple and to the point.  (and one that doesn't confuse me to teach!!!  LOL)

HELP!!!   :D

Thank you!  I spent the last 2 hours searching this forum before my brain fried and I just made a thread to beg for help.   :D

I just got Daily Grammar Practice by DGP. It is grammar only, no other LA included. Short lessons, but looks effective. Just started today, so no review yet. The teachers book is more expensive, but student books are only $5 each- and you could easily do it without the student books. Good luck!

We're currently using Hake Grammar 5 for 5th grade, and my son and I both like it.  We're doing 3-4 lessons per week in order to complete the book in 1 school year.  I introduce the lesson to him, then turn him loose to do the exercises independently.  There's a good bit of review built in, and so far, his retention seems to be pretty good.  We only do the grammar portion and not the optional writing book that is available.  http://www.hakepublishing.com/

R&S may not be the most exciting, but it is short, simple, and to the point. My 5th grader never takes more than 20 minutes a day to get his lesson done. It's a 4 day a week book, but if you skip the writing lessons and occasionally double up on the easier grammar lessons you could have it down to 3 a week. My ds uses his daily, and if he finishes it early he'll just have a break from grammar until we start the 6 book.

Scholastic Success with grammar? I got some when they were $1. Kids like them, short and sweet.

There are free resources. That is what I am using for DD7(in siggy). I got the links from here. I just printed and then bound. I didn't want to have to keep printing throughout the year. Officemax here charges $2 to bind if you can print at home.

And I agree about KISS, the site gave me a headache too.

What about this: http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html

I did this last year with my fourth grade son and he loved it.  It was short and to the point, but still explained each new concept in a way he could understand.  And even better, it's free. :)

This is another good, all-in-one option. They also sell all their lessons and exercises in one workbook, which you can buy as an ebook or hard copy.

DailyGrammar.com doesn't cover diagramming though. If you want diagramming, the Walch book I linked to is anaffordable all-in-one option.