Menu

Evaluating twins

You could rather frame it in terms of tests to understand their Learning Differences?

Where given that they are quite competitive, they are no doubt well aware of this difference.

But not really understand it?

So that they might be quite interested in doing some tests, to understand their different ways of learning?

Where the idea of one way being 'wrong', doesn't come into it.

Just a different way, that might not work as well with some things, but better with others?

If you are dong private testing, it will not be cheep. You have to reconsider testing the sibling just because they are competitive. At 13 they should be old enough to understand that they are not the same in every area. If the one has an actual learning problem that will show up on testing, he most likely already knows that he is different.

If you go through the public school for testing, you will probably need a better reason to test the sibling than that they are competitive.

Well if you want to do them both for something, get both their eyes checked.  That isn't nearly so expensive as a psych eval, and there's always the possibility that a vision problem is underlying the struggling twin's issues.  You go to COVD to find a developmental optometrist.  Tell them what's up and let them screen the weaker twin for developmental vision issues (tracking, focusing, convergence, etc.).  Poor visual memory or other vision problems could explain what you've described.

As far as the psych, I think when you hear the price tag you'll sort this out for yourself.  I couldn't plunk out another $1500 just to spare someone's feelings, but that's me.  If you have it lying around or your price isn't as high, fine.  If your insurance is paying, they're going to want a referral and a reason for it too.  Definitely get the struggling twin checked, no matter what.  You have more than enough flags.

I have twins, and only one has been evaluated. The other has no reason.

They are so obviously different, there is no point. Also they are little (4) and not competitive. So not the same situation.

My non-tested children were quite jealous. I spent the night in another town with my son and my mom, for an 8:00 appointment. My aunt and uncle came to stay with my other kids. They were not their usual selves -- usually they are very good for my aunt and uncle.

The appointment we had was in NO way set up to accomodate siblings. Though my kids are younger. There is no way I could have had one then the other spend 5 hours in a waiting room. I would need to make separate trips.

My experience is much more that my other 2 kids might be jealous of my younger son. He is delayed enough and young enough not to notice yet, and I also separate them often so each can be in the most appropriate situation. Basically that means they are in separate pre-school now.

They are one boy and one girl, which I think makes it a lot easier, bc it is natural for them to like some different things.

It sounds like a hard situation to me. It is definitely possible to link the testing to some kind of special event (special restaraunt, park) and one-on-one parent time. And then maybe have the other parent do something special with the other one. I don't know. My husband was deployed when we got our appointment.