Menu

American History Help

lexi

I'm planning to use the Elemental History Adventures in America for my K and Prek kiddos this year.  My 2nd grader will also listen in. 

I was planning to read several of the recommended read alouds and other books from the curriculum but my library doesn't have the ones I want.  So, I was going to purchase a few of them.  Amazon has not been able to "find" a few of the ones I wanted to purchase and maybe they are out of print.  I have no idea.  Sooooo.....I'm feeling frustrated.  Now I've decided that I don't want to make multiple library trips or try to hunt these books down.

I need your list of not to be missed American history books for the younger crowd.  I'm going to purchase a few to have in our library here and then I'm not going to worry about it anymore!!

The curriculum begins with the Native Americans and Christopher Columbus and ends with Abraham Lincoln, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed and the railroads.  What books do I HAVE to own for this year???

I just didn't want to search through what they had.  I was hoping someone had some favorite, not-to-be-missed American history picture books that my kids would love.  Then I would pick a few and order them and not drag 5 small kids to the library every week and try to page through the books they have.  So, I was hoping someone could give me 5 or 10 favorites for that span of history and I would just add them to our home library.  I'm trying to make it easier on myself :coolgleamA:

We haven't officially studied AH but the Maestro books are on my list, along w/ Fritz' books. The "If You Lived" and "You Wouldn't Want to Be" series are enjoyable as well.

We did Adventures in America last year and read some books from each of these authors or series.  I loved the Maestro books, but ds not so much.  We both enjoyed The Cabin Faced West by Fritz and the book about Squanto suggested in the tchr guide.  Also, "The Picture Book of" series by David Adler and some of the Dalgliesh books especially The Courage of Sarah Noble were hits around here. 

Double The Courage of Sara Noble. Sarah was the first female character my daughter identified with. And, can you access your library system online? I would do my searches when the kids were in bed and make notes of the books I found in the cc online. I know what you mean about ease though. I am now in a place that NEVER has ANY book I am looking for, hence we have just about stopped going to the library!

Good question! I wish I'd thought to ask it before I bought the AiA curriculum and some books to go with it. Are you doing all or just some of the chapter books + some picture books. We did the first week of the curriculum and then I decided to go a different direction for my kinder for this year (planning on doing AiA next year instead now), so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. Everything is packed away now but what I did to choose some additional picture books was to look at the book choices for other American history curricula. I'm new to HSing, but I figured if the book had been chosen for more than 1 curricula than it was probably pretty good. Like I said everything is packed away now, but I know I bought: North American Indians, If you were there in colonial times, a valley forge book, wagon wheels, and I can't remember what else, but hopefully that gives you some ideas. I did also purchase one of the Maestro, and it's a lovely book, but I'm not sure if it would have captured my son's attention the way the historical fiction & if you were there books will. I guess I'll find out next year.