Menu

Coding Classes - which are best?

faiths13

I am trying to pick a programming or coding class as an elective for my 7th and 9th graders. I just started searching and realized there are so many that are free! I am totally lost, lol. How do I know which ones are the best or what I should pick? I found Kahn Academy, Code Academy (same thing?) Scratch, Learn Street, and a couple more I think. Help!

My ds loves codeacademy. It has built in incentives, badges I think, which he enjoys earning. It suits the inner competitive male in him. He is not at all intrigued by Scratch FWIW and considers codeacademy far superior.

Coursera also has a "Learn to Program: the fundamentals " from the University of Toronto. Supposed to be for beginners. It started on the 19th. I would enroll him if he can work on it this week and see what he thinks. Because they are free it is definately a give them a go attitude at our house. :lol:

We haven't tried that one. Dd thought about it but she is doing 3 classes through Coursera already this fall. Ds has done quite a bit on codeacademy and really loves it. He wants to finish as much as possible there and move on to python so lacks time.

Ds just read my post. His opinion is to just try codeacademy. Not sure what else to say.

Thank you :) My ds has been doing Codecademy, but he seems to be frustrated. Could you possibly recommend a book that might be helpful to go along?

Which language is he studying? The thread I was reading on another board had a near-unanimous approval for the book "Head First Java" if one is choosing that as a first language. (It did not have perfect consensus about whether Java, Python, or C is a best first language though...)

Thank you :)

I am not actually sure what language he is doing. He just started with the start now button I think, lol. I will have to ask him if he even knows.

I was worried the Coursera or Udaicty might be pretty hard. I know they could just try some and see what they like, but that can get frustrating too.

Python and Java are two good programming languages for beginners. Both are open source and free. There are, I think, plenty of free resources for learning Python. If your kids are into video games, they can also try out Scratch and Alice. Again, both are free and you can create simple video games with these.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on the book, but Python has had a few updates since the last book came out. Other than that, I don't know. I just figured it would be best to get the latest version if he's just starting.

Ditto here. Dd was going to do the Coursera Intro to Python class but now she doesn't want to----she has massive time commitments this fall with FLL 2 evenings, ballet 3 evenings plus all day Saturdays.

I figure she'll start programming after FLL season is over at the end of January. I hope to use the new Hello World.