Menu

I am ready to spit nails!

momofkhm

We had ds join the local honor society this year.  They use a yahoo group for communication.  Since I've been through this with the girls, I wanted him on the mailing list.  Not me having to forward everything to him.  So first I had to create an account for him.  Because he is under 13 I had to verify him with my account and give them my credit card info.  That ticked me off.  Then once I had him signed up n yahoo and in the group, I tried changing it so the emails go to his email at home, not the newly created yahoo address.  I can't do it.  He doesn't have access to that.  So I tried to change it on his profile.  He doesn't have access to that.  What?  So now I've spent 1/2 hour getting him signed up for a yahoo group so I don't have to forward emails to him, just to have to forward emails to him all because yahoo has uber controls and won't let us change things.

DH did dd's address and it wasn't nearly so complicated, since she is over 13 I guess.  No credit card.  No signing into the parents account.  

If I had a phone number...  but no they'd just tell me it's been abused in the past.  it can't be changed for one child.  blah blah blah.   Why don't you let ME be the parent and decide what I allow my child to do?

Can you set up a filter on his yahoo email so it automatically forwards the yahoo group emails to his primary email account?  I know gmail can do this b/c I had DS' emails coming to me for a very long time a few years ago.  I don't know how yahoo works since I don't use it.

The protocols used are part of COPPA - a federal law instituted to help safeguard children (<13) online. There are no exceptions and real potential for significant fines against the online corp, so railing against Yahoo/YG will not help. For more info on COPPA, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children

3 Options: use mail forwarding (as suggested); set up appropriate spam filters then give your ds access to the Yahoo account; add his regular email to the YG account, verify it, then select it as the primary delivery address for group messages.

BTW, a smartphone, ipod Touch, or tablet can usually provide "instant access" to all accounts once they've been set up. I use that route - far less ads!

HTH - sometimes tech does not make life easier LOL.

I was very frustrated with Yahoo a couple of weeks ago and finally found a phone number. I tried calling, but so many other people were having similar problems I gave up and decided to wait it out. Anyway,if you'd like to call, here's the number I found: 1-800-318-0612. Good luck!

add his regular email to the YG account, verify it, then select it as the primary delivery address for group messages.

This is exactly what I was trying to do and it won't let me.  :-/

Thanks for the note about CO...  whatever it was.  At least he turns 13 in October so it's only about 2 months.

A tangent, but as long as we're complaining about Yahoo . . .

Six years ago, when I was still actively using Yahoo, I signed up for some news alerts in order to catch any media coverage of an event in which my son was involved. In the intervening time, let my Yahoo account go dormant at some point. I stopped receiving anything from them, and a couple of groups I "owned" were apparently disbanded or dumped or whatever. I didn't really notice at what point I stopped receiving e-mails, even.

Now, apparently, they have announced they are scrubbing and recycling dormant Yahoo e-mail addresses to give a new batch of subscribers a shot at getting names they want that were being held up. Somehow, in the process, it appears they've kicked off something that means I'm now getting multiple e-mails a day from them with news alerts that happen to contain some of the words I entered once upon a time but that actually have nothing whatsoever to do with the event I was trying to track, even six years ago when I was trying to track it.

However, I can't log into my account to turn off the alerts, because my account is dormant.

I have tried resetting the password and answering security questions and jumping through whatever hoops I can find to figure out some way to get into the account and stop the darned junk from filling up my e-mail inbox. I have spent literally hours following leads and reading their unhelpful help site and looking for contact information . . . And I'm still locked out of the account and still getting five and unwanted, useless e-mail a day.

I set filters to delete the e-mails from my Outlook box, but they still take up space in my provider account, meaning I now have to log into that website more frequenly simply for the purpose of deleting everything from Yahoo to make room for e-mails I might actually want.

Cynically, my assumption is that they want me to have to make a new account so they can get me back on their subscriber list.