Menu

Talk to me about iPad's and other tablets

Jess4879

We are looking at investing in something that we can put curriculum on (MM, Mr.Q's, learning games, ebooks, etc).  We do not have a high speed connection.  I would need to be able to download apps and such and have them work offline.  At the risk of sounding really behind the times...will an iPad/tablet work for this?  Which is better and why?  What accessories are necessary/useful?  and in regards to iPad...what the heck is Retina display and how many GBs do I want???  And do I need a computer, or are these stand alone items?  (I feel soooo old.  LOL)

We are looking at investing in something that we can put curriculum on (MM, Mr.Q's, learning games, ebooks, etc).  We do not have a high speed connection.  I would need to be able to download apps and such and have them work offline.  At the risk of sounding really behind the times...will an iPad/tablet work for this?  Which is better and why?  What accessories are necessary/useful?  and in regards to iPad...what the heck is Retina display and how many GBs do I want???  And do I need a computer, or are these stand alone items?  (I feel soooo old.  LOL)

We have an ipad.  Some program work without internet access, some do not.  So before you buy one you'll want to do some research.

1. Does the program require internet to function.  If so then it might not be useful to you.

2. What is the size of the program.  Adding up all these numbers will give you a starting point of what size you need. I have the smallest size and wish I had a larger one.   I couldn't open the Audoban Bird guides, they were too large for my ipad.

3. You will need access to a computer to synch up your ipad to your Apple account from time to time.  You could do that a library if necessary.

4. You can buy the newest machine or save some money and go back one step.  I really didn't find much of a difference between the newest display and my current one.

5. If you have little ones, then research a really GOOD case to protect that unit!  I bought an otter box and it's been dropped a few times and has been safe every time.

6. Pictures and ebooks take a tonne of space on your machine, I have an external drive and I toss all my photos onto it and keep my ipad as clear as possible.

7. Read up about the security settings and how to block your kids from downloading things. 

8.  When it comes time to register your ipad, you DONT need to put in a credit card.  Just put in all zeros and buy an Apple gift card for a specific small amount, and then enter that number in under gift cards.  Then you'll be able to control how much extra stuff is purchased through your ipad.

9. While you are waiting, set up an apple account now and subscribe to the great websites which promote free apps.  Then when you see an app you might like to use in the future, add it to your account.  Then when you get the actual ipad you'll have saved some $$ with your apps and those things stay in your account even if you delete it from your ipad.

Ipads don't support Flash, so you'll want to make sure none of the programs you are planning to use need that.

Some pads can use SD cards to expand their memory, which can be very useful. If you get a cheaper Android pad, make sure that you will have access to Google Play---some of the cheap, bundled ones don't have that access and you won't be able to get some of the apps you want.

We have Samsung Galaxy Tablets here and I really like them.  We are able to download most apps for use without internet.  All the books are readable without internet.  I can send my kids their assignments for the day and they have them there in an email, which is nice. And the memory is expandable on the Galaxy Tab because you can get an SD card to add space (not all tablets have a slot for this). Hoping that helps...

I do use internet on my iPad frequently, but there is a lot it can do without the internet, although you'd need internet access occasionally in order to download apps, books, etc. I have 16GB, and it's enough for a LOT, but if you want to keep a ton of pics and e-books on it, you'd want more. (I mostly borrow e-books from the library and delete them when I'm done.) I have an iPad 2, and it's lovely; I don't need the fancier camera or retina display (super nice display, but I doubt you'll really notice not having that) that the newer one has. The iPad 2 has a display that is clearer and nicer than my desktop machine.

Could you use the iPad without a regular computer? Yes. I think. I rarely use my desktop machine anymore. I only use it to print things from the iPad, since my printer won't print from the iPad directly (but newer ones will). Also, in order to save space on the iPad, I don't usually download camera pics to it; I use the desktop for that (although I do have a card reader that will download pics to the iPad, and that's been nice right now when I'm supposed to be in bed more than walking downstairs to the computer).

Accessories that I find incredibly helpful: styluses. Extra long cord for charging it. Case of some sort. Bluetooth keyboard (which is part of the case). The keyboard takes the iPad from "cool toy" to "really, really useful." Typing on the on-screen keyboard is a little annoying and cumbersome, but the bluetooth keyboard makes the whole thing function like a small laptop but with the additional capability of the touch screen. Even with the keyboard, it's still really easy to use it as a tablet; the keyboard folds back, and I can hold it like I would a clipboard and write on it (works great for grocery shopping). Really, the iPad has made my life a lot easier in many ways, but one is that I can keep grocery lists and other notes on it, thus reducing paper clutter.

We have an ipad.  Some program work without internet access, some do not.  So before you buy one you'll want to do some research.

1. Does the program require internet to function.  If so then it might not be useful to you.

2. What is the size of the program.  Adding up all these numbers will give you a starting point of what size you need. I have the smallest size and wish I had a larger one.   I couldn't open the Audoban Bird guides, they were too large for my ipad.

3. You will need access to a computer to synch up your ipad to your Apple account from time to time.  You could do that a library if necessary.

4. You can buy the newest machine or save some money and go back one step.  I really didn't find much of a difference between the newest display and my current one.

5. If you have little ones, then research a really GOOD case to protect that unit!  I bought an otter box and it's been dropped a few times and has been safe every time.

6. Pictures and ebooks take a tonne of space on your machine, I have an external drive and I toss all my photos onto it and keep my ipad as clear as possible.

7. Read up about the security settings and how to block your kids from downloading things. 

8.  When it comes time to register your ipad, you DONT need to put in a credit card.  Just put in all zeros and buy an Apple gift card for a specific small amount, and then enter that number in under gift cards.  Then you'll be able to control how much extra stuff is purchased through your ipad.

9. While you are waiting, set up an apple account now and subscribe to the great websites which promote free apps.  Then when you see an app you might like to use in the future, add it to your account.  Then when you get the actual ipad you'll have saved some $$ with your apps and those things stay in your account even if you delete it from your ipad.

Thanks for the info and the tips! 

We have Samsung Galaxy Tablets here and I really like them.  We are able to download most apps for use without internet.  All the books are readable without internet.  I can send my kids their assignments for the day and they have them there in an email, which is nice. And the memory is expandable on the Galaxy Tab because you can get an SD card to add space (not all tablets have a slot for this). Hoping that helps...

The samsung galaxy is one we were looking at, so this helps a lot!  Thanks!  :)

We have both and iPad and a couple of Samsung Tabs. My DD has the Galaxy tab and my DH has the Note Tab, I think.

Anyway, I do love my iPad. It's the original, and I've had it since they first came out. It's old (in tech times). It still works wonderfully though. :)

Anyway, though I do love my iPad, I wouldn't have purchased one had the Samsung tabs been out back then. I definitely would have purchased a Samsung tablet instead. Probably the same one as my husband. I think the note tab is better than the galaxy tab, but we're adults and we're both in IT fields, so that's just us. My DD does just fine with her Galaxy tab.

Keep in mind that you will need internet access to download apps. You can go to Barnes and Noble, or a restaurant with free internet access to do this though. As for connecting to your computer, you will need to do so from time-to-time for upgrades. Unless the new iPads can upgrade without connecting...My iPad can't. :(

Anyway, though I do love my iPad, I wouldn't have purchased one had the Samsung tabs been out back then. I definitely would have purchased a Samsung tablet instead. Probably the same one as my husband. I think the note tab is better than the galaxy tab, but we're adults and we're both in IT fields, so that's just us. My DD does just fine with her Galaxy tab.

What do you like better about the Samsung tabs vs the iPad?  And forgive me if this is a silly question, but where do you get apps for the Samsung (or other non-apple products)?? 

What do you like better about the Samsung tabs vs the iPad?  And forgive me if this is a silly question, but where do you get apps for the Samsung (or other non-apple products)?? 

We like the android OS better as well as being able to use other app stores other than just one. We have three different app stores on our Samsung products (not just our tabs, but our phones as well). We can share apps by using the amazon app store because we login with the same userid, so if I purchase an app on my phone, I can then put the same app on my DH's tab, DH's phone, DD's tab, and both of DS's tabs (both of my DSs have Nabi tabs).

I can't put the apps that I buy on my iPad onto my DH's iPod because we have different accounts. If we shared an account, we could, but I don't want his music, and he doesn't want mine, so we like to keep them separate. Plus, with and apple product, we have to use the iTunes app store. We cannot use any other app store or music store. It's kindof annoying.

Samsung products will come with the Google Play store installed on them, and that is where you will buy most of your apps. I believe there is also a Samsung store, but I barely use it. I'm not sure why it came with two app stores installed, but there are. We installed two more on our tabs/phones. We have the amazon app store, and we also have the onemarket app store.

What do you like better about the Samsung tabs vs the iPad? And forgive me if this is a silly question, but where do you get apps for the Samsung (or other non-apple products)??

I don't think that's a silly question; I appreciate you asking it. We were given the iPad, so I didn't really research other options much at all, but eventually, we'll probably want a second tablet so the kids don't keep stealing the iPad from me, and I like reading feedback about the other options.

One thing that you may want to consider, especially if you don't have a high speed connection, is the 3G capability, so that you can update the tablet via cell service. I have that capability but don't use it because I don't have a cell plan that allows for it. However, I could buy a week or month of 3G service to take the iPad on vacation. I also live rurally; the nearest library with free WiFi is 20 minutes away, so I'm not there more than once a week, but if I lived closer, I could easily see popping in a couple of times a week to update the iPad. Two or three times a week, there are apps that have updates; most of them are pretty minor and could wait easily. I have also stopped at certain gas stations or McDonald's to use their WiFi (even without getting out of the car) when I've needed directions. A lot of places like doctors' offices offer free WiFi too, although some of them block certain sites (oddly enough, one office blocks our local library). So I think with some planning, you could easily use the tablet without fast internet at home (and maybe you could download e-books with your regular internet connection, if it doesn't take too long, and you could use the tablet's USB to hook to a regular computer if you have one). One of the drawbacks to the tablet is that with WiFi, I can be easily connected to the internet -- it can be helpful (like, typing from bed or taking the tablet to the kitchen to use as a portable cookbook), but it is a huge distraction too. ;)

If you have small people, I am really impressed with the iPad's guided access feature, although I don't know if other tablets offer similar. I can lock the iPad so that nobody can access it without a code, and I have it set to need a password before allowing any purchases. I can also set it so that a kid can't get out of a particular app without the code -- this keeps my school-age kids from playing games when they're supposed to be working, keeps my toddler from hitting the "home" button when I'm working on it, and keeps my toddler and preschooler in one particular app.

If you have small people, I am really impressed with the iPad's guided access feature, although I don't know if other tablets offer similar. I can lock the iPad so that nobody can access it without a code, and I have it set to need a password before allowing any purchases. I can also set it so that a kid can't get out of a particular app without the code -- this keeps my school-age kids from playing games when they're supposed to be working, keeps my toddler from hitting the "home" button when I'm working on it, and keeps my toddler and preschooler in one particular app.

I really like the password options!!  Thanks!

Personally if I had to choose between a computer and a tablet. It would be a computer. Tablet is just more of a toy where we do fun things. School work always gets done 90% on my laptop and 10% on the tablet. 

Definitely don't want the tablet to replace the computer.  I'd like the option to take some things on the road, and have books and such the kids can read while we are in the vehicle.  I have have to decide if I'm going to use it enough to justify the cost.  We've also toyed with getting an ereader and a 2nd laptop.  LOL  I'm very undecided right now and just checking to see what all is out there and the benefits of it all. 

Definitely don't want the tablet to replace the computer.  I'd like the option to take some things on the road, and have books and such the kids can read while we are in the vehicle.  I have have to decide if I'm going to use it enough to justify the cost.  We've also toyed with getting an ereader and a 2nd laptop.  LOL  I'm very undecided right now and just checking to see what all is out there and the benefits of it all. 

You can put a kindle reader app on pretty much any of the tablets, I believe, so a tablet can function as an e-reader, though it won't have the e-ink. It really depends on how you want to use it. We ended up going with a laptop for my daughter, but it was because we knew she would be doing an increasing amount of writing and needing other office-type apps in high school, which tablets aren't as good with. A tablet can make a great adjunct, particularly with the touch-screen. I have to say my husband loves his Nook HD+ for almost everything.

I just had a conversation regarding tablets with a guy at Best Buy, and he said hands down that the Samsung Galaxy was the way to go, and it's under $200.

Although I think for schooling purposes A laptop would be better, would have an easier keyboard to operate, and better document (Word, etc) functions.

A bluetooth keyboard/case and the QuickOffice HD app make the iPad able to do most things that Word can do (word processing and spreadsheet); Dropbox makes it pretty easy to transfer things between the iPad and desktop as well. I'm not saying that a tablet is necessarily a better choice than a laptop, just that it can do a lot.

Definitely don't want the tablet to replace the computer. I'd like the option to take some things on the road, and have books and such the kids can read while we are in the vehicle. I have have to decide if I'm going to use it enough to justify the cost. We've also toyed with getting an ereader and a 2nd laptop. LOL I'm very undecided right now and just checking to see what all is out there and the benefits of it all.

I belong to 4 libraries. 3 have apps that I downloaded that allows me to borrow eboks and audio books on my Galaxy. I also downloaded the Kindle app and the Nook app. I am really glad I went with a tablet vs a straight ereader because I like being able to access the library collections through their aps.

I belong to 4 libraries. 3 have apps that I downloaded that allows me to borrow eboks and audio books on my Galaxy. I also downloaded the Kindle app and the Nook app. I am really glad I went with a tablet vs a straight ereader because I like being able to access the library collections through their aps.

Good to know!  Thanks! :)