Menu

what publisher for Integrated Physics and Chemistry for 9th gr.

I think most of the texts designed for high school have Algebra as a pre-requisite. My kids both did Algebra at the same time as they used this text. The math was a challenge for them, but I was able to teach it as they went. I see you're using MUS. We were too at that time. They really weren't quite ready for the math in the PH book, but we did make it.

Just as an FYI DIVE Integrated Chemistry and Physics is good for 9th, but is also very dependent on Algebra.

Apologia doesn't require Algebra, but is light for 9th grade, far better done in 8th. 

Those are the only ones I've looked at, sorry.

Integrated physics and chemistry is physical science, just in a more focused way since it doesn't include any earth science.  Many physical science texts only cover physics and chemistry.  Half the year is physics, half the year is chemistry.  You could skip back and forth between the chapters, if you wanted to cover both all year long instead of one after the other.  FWIW, we've used BJU's Physical World (not their current physical science text), and it worked very well.  The text starts with chemistry, though, so depending on your student's pre-algebra background you may need to step up the math instruction for chapter 2 - significant digits, scientific notation, unit analysis method of conversions.  You might be able to start with the physics section while getting all that up to speed.

The current edition BJU physical science starts with physics.  No earth science, so yes it would be your ICP.  It suggests concurrent algebra 1.  Although there is math, the math is in the *labs*.  We later got the videos with their $99 deal, and they're good enough that I highly recommend them.  Mr. Harmon is a HOOT.  If you're at all intimidated, it would be a good way to go. Then just pick a *few* of the labs to implement.

The current edition BJU physical science starts with physics.  No earth science, so yes it would be your ICP.  It suggests concurrent algebra 1.  Although there is math, the math is in the *labs*.  We later got the videos with their $99 deal, and they're good enough that I highly recommend them.  Mr. Harmon is a HOOT.  If you're at all intimidated, it would be a good way to go. Then just pick a *few* of the labs to implement.

My son did BJU Science in High School. I didn't know their physical science was both? I thought BJU Science was very difficult? I would love to do BJU with her, but I am quite sure those videos are no longer $99.00. I was counting this as ICP w/lab.

Generally speaking, "Physical Science" isn't for credit.  I mean, it goes on the transcript for most kids because it's usually a 9th grade course.  But, because it's an introductory course to physics and chem (and sometimes earth science, depending on course), it doesn't usually count for requirements. 

Obviously there's a reason I use so many "usuallys" and "generallys."   ;)

This is all pretty variable stuff!  

That said, I'm using Holt Spectrum Physical Science, the previous edition as the current one includes earth science and we just finished a pretty good earth science year last year...  Which, btw, shouldn't be confused with Holt Science and Tech Physical Science, as that's a middle school course.   I picked up a text book at Amazon for about $15 and a Resources CD (tests, lab pages, answer keys, extensions, etc) for another $10.  

It's a high school level text, but my 8th grader should do fine with it.  He's also doing Algebra this year.  Chemistry is the first half of the text, Physics, the second half.

PS:  You can read the TOC at Rainbow to get an idea of contents.

Physical Science is sold by BJU as a 9th grade course.  My cousin, who lives in MI and goes to the ps there, did ICP for their college prep track in 9th.  I think it totally varies by the part of the country.  I wouldn't get some low level physical science book meant for junior high with no math and do it, but one that is concurrent alg. 1 and using the math, if it's the norm in your state, shouldn't be an issue.  See what schools in your state are doing.  

As far as how you label it on your transcript, I've seen thousands of transcripts, and the schools didn't normally list "with labs."  It was assumed.  As far as using the videos, they show the labs in the lessons and have you do the worksheets along with them.  It would be nice to do some of the labs physically yourself, which is why I suggested you pick a practical number and do them.  If you're doing a video course and they do the labs and you participate in the way the course intended you to, you did the labs.  It's not like you have to somehow slit your throat and imply there were no labs because they were done with videos.  

There are junior high level physical science courses floating around.  Those *won't* be on par with the BJU 9 or the CIA text.  I used labs from both last year for our studies.  I have another publisher's physical science text, and it's MUCH lower.  I would not use a text like that and call it high school.  This other text I have (PH Explorer something maybe?) is very clearly more of a junior high level text.  The font is larger, text easier to read, and it doesn't require any serious math.  So definitely be discriminating.  

I'm not saying you should/have to do BJU, but remember that when you pay that higher price you're getting the *texts* as well.  I think they may also throw in a pdf of the tm?  So it's not like it's outrageously higher.  Well price it out.  I just know that after I bought my components used and plunked out $99 for the videos, I started wondering if I had *actually* saved anything.  

You can see samples of the DIVE and BJU videos btw.  It would be a pretty unusual student who would pick up the texts and use them by themselves, with no assistance.  DIVE is pretty dry for our house.  BJU is off the top hilarious with Mr. Harmon.  But the BJU text is drier than PH CIA, which I think someone else was suggesting to you.  I guess pick your poison.  I finally deciding our dividing line was *what would get done*.  Awesome text, not done, is a credit not done.  Your main goal is to make sure that when she sits down with whatever you pick, she can actually do it.

Curious suggestion, since you said pricepoint is a factor.  You could get a used copy of the Hewitt/Z Physical Science text, use the videos they've put online to flesh out the concepts, use TOPs books for the labs (LoriD had a schedule) and call it good.  TOPs are not expensive and they're very do-able.  Just an idea.  Lots of ways to skin a cat.  :)

Not all Physical Science courses are ICP. Apologia for example is Earth Science and Chem or Physics I don't remember which. That is not uncommon in courses designed for 8th grade. ICP is just a new name for an old course, but it designates specifically that it is an intro to those two topics. I think all public school Physical Science textbooks cover those two topics, with or without earth science. I found many online syllabuses for ICP that used the PH book.

BJU Physical Science would definitely be ICP and is 9th grade credit worthy. I think their math sequence would have students taking Algebra along side it, so it should be ok that way too.

Prentice Hall and Holt are very similar...layout, approach and expectations are basically identical.  Probably because they're both used in standard classrooms...  

We went with Holt for the simple fact that that's what the local high school is using so that's the one that I, personally, am most familiar with.