Menu

Fun extras for 4th and 5th grade... ideas please!

Love My Life x4

All curriculum, main science/history/literature books, science kits, supplies, etc... have been purchased for the 2013-2014 school year and I have some money left to go towards this falls school shopping. I really want some fun hands on type things for 4th-5th grade math and I'm loving the looks of some of lakeshore learnings math activity centers (although I haven't decided on which ones to get). I'm not sure what else... maybe some logic type games, cookbooks, model building kits... I don't know. I am set on the fun/hands on stuff for the 3rd grade and below crowd but really need some things for my older two. What do your kids love?

Ds9 is getting this Physics Discovery Kit for his tenth birthday. He's a rising fifth grader. We're also ordering organic starter plants from the Seeds of Change catalog for our gardening project. Each student is growing something - dd6 is growing cucumbers, and ds9 is growing sweet orange peppers. Mama is attempting to grow salad greens and kale from seeds. 

This has been a hit for nailing fractions in 4th grade with all of my dc so far: Everything's Coming Up Fractions with Cuisenaire Rods. By the end of doing these fun puzzles with the rods, my kids knew how to add, subtract, convert, multiply and divide fractions.  Love it!

And just plain fun:  a bridge unit study using K'nex. Add a couple of great library books about bridges or tour some bridges close to you and it would make a fun study!

Lisa

Sculpey.  It's so expensive that you are not likely to "just pick some up" at Walmart.  But it's so so great.  Kids LOVE it.  However, be warned: get Sculpey on amazon or at a busy Micheal's.  If you get it at a store that usually doesn't sell much in the way of crafts, it may have dried out, having sat on the shelf too long.

Prismacolor Pencils- My kids really treasure these, and take good care of them.  They don't even touch their crayons now.

Outdoor Toys- do they need new kickballs, basketballs, a ball pump, some bases (I saw some at the Walgreen's for 4.00!)...I just realized my kids need a whole set of new outdoor toys and a ball pump (available at dollar tree).  I also bought Mom's Handy Book of Backyard Games which makes after school play time a lot more interesting!  I bought some cones off of amazon for 4.00 too.  It's hard to get a good neighborhood game going without the right equipment!

Sketch pads (again, dollar tree) -- or else your printer paper will disappear along with the socks.  I finally got so tired of running out of printer paper, I went and stocked up on sketch pads.  I think I'll start charging them to use printer paper.  10 cents a piece or something!  :oP

Sculpey.  It's so expensive that you are not likely to "just pick some up" at Walmart.  But it's so so great.  Kids LOVE it.  However, be warned: get Sculpey on amazon or at a busy Micheal's.  If you get it at a store that usually doesn't sell much in the way of crafts, it may have dried out, having sat on the shelf too long.

Prismacolor Pencils- My kids really treasure these, and take good care of them.  They don't even touch their crayons now.

Outdoor Toys- do they need new kickballs, basketballs, a ball pump, some bases (I saw some at the Walgreen's for 4.00!)...I just realized my kids need a whole set of new outdoor toys and a ball pump (available at dollar tree).  I also bought Mom's Handy Book of Backyard Games which makes after school play time a lot more interesting!  I bought some cones off of amazon for 4.00 too.  It's hard to get a good neighborhood game going without the right equipment!

Sketch pads (again, dollar tree) -- or else your printer paper will disappear along with the socks.  I finally got so tired of running out of printer paper, I went and stocked up on sketch pads.  I think I'll start charging them to use printer paper.  10 cents a piece or something!  :oP

:iagree: 

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a hit for nailing fractions in 4th grade with all of my dc so far: Everything's Coming Up Fractions with Cuisenaire Rods. By the end of doing these fun puzzles with the rods, my kids knew how to add, subtract, convert, multiply and divide fractions.  Love it!

And just plain fun:  a bridge unit study using K'nex. Add a couple of great library books about bridges or tour some bridges close to you and it would make a fun study!

Lisa

Hi FloridaLisa!

Quick question: I bought the book based on your recommendation, but which set of Cuisenaire Rods do you recommend buying?

And thanks for this great tip!!

Alley

Lisa

Lisa,

Thanks for the recommendation of this book.  It's been sitting on my bookshelf (complements of my mom--she's a retired 4th grade teacher).  I didn't even remember I had it until I clicked on your amazon link and I saw the cover.  At least I was able to find it quickly since I have been very good about keeping my books organized--it was in the math section.

And the K'nex recommendation--great!  My son will have a blast with this.

I forgot to add my own recommendations:

some nice thick precut cards (smaller than index cards and blank on both sides), dice, sculpey, heavy paper/cardboard and the kids can make their own games.  The sculpey can be for the playing pieces, and the rest is self explanatory.  My kids have had a lot of fun making their own games based on the premise of their favorite games. It is a very interesting process b/c they spend a lot time making the game and when we finally play the game they see where things go right and where the rules (or the board, or the cards, etc.). Then they make adjustments and it keeps going like that.  They love it and it really makes family game night into an adventure.

They have also made games based on card games (like Gamewright) too.  My daughter loves Horseshow and she made her own cards (which took a long time b/c she did a lot drawing for the horses).  

And that's another suggestion:  Gamewright games for the older set.  Some are really great.  We also like the games by Aristopoly (they have multi-levels--Herd Your Horses is a real favorite).