Menu

Has ANYONE used Saxon Algebra and liked it?

pjssully

I am just stumped with what to do with my 11 year old daughter. (She is classified as a 7th grader at school as she skipped 2nd grade) She did Pre Algebra with TT last year and I think she is ready for Algebra 1 at a slow pace. Not thrilled with the TT with all the controversy. I have three that i am decided with but if anyone else has ideas, i am open to them--

Saxon Algebra 1 with the CD teacher

Kinetic Algebra

Videotext Algebra

thanks for any feedback

My son's been working through Saxon's Algebra 1 for about a year now. That's the only one I have any experience with.

He seems to have trouble with it, but I don't know if it was the program or his motivation. What I *can* tell you is that I offered to get him a different program and he wants to continue working through Saxon. This kind of tells me he thinks he wasn't really applying himself, but I don't think he would admit that. :)

I'm almost afraid to admit this but we love Saxon at our house! My oldest has been using if since 5/4 and is just now completing Algebra 1. She works mostly independently and does very well. She will say that math is her least favorite subject, but she scores well on the tests, and seems to understand what she is learning when we discuss it.

For this year I bought DVD's for Algebra 2, because I know she is quickly getting over my head in math. I only took Algebra and Geometry in high school.

I have been able to buy all of my Saxon materials used, and since they are non-consumable, I have them for my younger children too. Saxon has been very cost effective for us.

Jann in TX has great insights into the various math programs. I am pretty sure she has used Saxon with some of her children (I know she has tutored other children using it). She is very much about finding the right "fit" for math and can elaborate on how Saxon math fits some kiddos, but not all.

I used Saxon with my own children through 8/7. At that point it was clear that my dd needed a different approach--she needed to see the whole concept taught together--and she was not connecting the increments in Saxon.

I have had many students over the years who have done VERY well with Saxon. These are the students who enjoyed variety in their lessons each day and did not mind working the 'same' variety of problems over and over...the vast majority of my successful students were boys with an engineering bent.

I have had to switch a good percentage (maybe 15-20%)of my students to a different type of text. With Saxon you are pretty much stuck with their program. It needs to be used as presented--working EVERY problems (skipping NOT advised). A good traditional text can be adapted for most learning types--and I have NEVER had to switch a student out of a traditional text.

I think students are more successful with Saxon Algebra 1 if they had worked either Saxon 8/7 or Algebra 1/2 before. I NEVER recommend jumping into Saxon after Algebra 1....and I hesitate to recommend starting it at Algebra 1.

For the most part Saxon is either a 'Love it' or 'Hate it' type of program. It is VERY different from other programs in the terms used and in the approach. It is UNIQUE.

Saxon works for my family. Despite all of the horrible reviews my kids have done well with Saxon. My oldest just took a placement test for our community college and scored very well, placing into Calculus, though he'd only finished Saxon Alg. I and II, and about 30 lessons in Advanced Math.

He probably would have kept going with Advanced Math if we had hired a tutor, but he decided to do Jacob's Geometry instead this year.

HTH,

Lisa

We are using Saxon Alg. 1 w/DIVE this year for my 7th grader who's a strong math student. Our youngers are in Singapore though and I'm not sure what we'll do with them when they get more advanced. IMO Saxon works well for some students, but not for others. Our oldest really enjoys math and is not easily intimidated. For her Saxon works fine.

Though my other students excel in other disciplines, they are not as strong in math. For them Saxon was quite frustrating, so we switched. If she's a strong student (seems that way based on your original post) you could give it a try. Saxon does have free placement tests on their website, so you could try those as well. That will give you a better idea of the style and content of the course.

I used Saxon 5/4 through Algebra in public school with a good teacher. Honestly it was one of my favorite subjects, and I excelled with the style (I really like algorithims/ riddles/ logic puzzles). Although I was good at solving the equations on the page, and did good on the ACT math etc., I think that Saxon is poor when it comes to story problems, mental math, and abstract reasoning. I still have problems with connecting math to real-life situations, and vice versa.

From what I hear, maybe singapore's challenging word problems would be a good supplement.