Menu

2nd grade math curriculum program for a parent that doesn't like teaching math!

Guest jkkmeoneill

Guest jkkmeoneill

I am looking for recommendations for a math program for my 2nd grader who does well in math. My problem is I do not enjoy teaching math! I am not looking for a "easy math program" as my daughter likes math but one that is easy to teach (scripted, easy to understand, with lots of examples) or partly self taught.

We bought Math u see but I there is no explanation on the workbook pages. They also seem present things in a confusing manner. We have beta and the place value lesson told my child to call the teen’s numbers new names.

Thank you, I am really at a loss! Other info we are using My Fathers World Adventures in U.S history and loving it! I really enjoy teaching it and would use their recommendation of singapore if I wasn't worried about teaching it. But if someone like me has used it and liked it please let me know!

Rod and Staff math is very easy to teach. Is scripted and tells you what to write on the chalkboard/white board before starting teaching time. I love that I "instruct and teach" then set them free to work independently on their workbook pages at this age. I think it is a great method for our family. We tried Math Mammoth and that didn't work but some have had great success. We have also used Teaching Textbooks for grade 3 (they don't have a 2nd grade level) but it didn't even work for our family. It is truly going to be a trial and error to find a good fit. Once you find it, run with it and keep on grinning!

Guest jkkmeoneill

Thank u this is our 1st yr homeschooling and I will have a baby this winter along with my 4 yr old and almost 2 yr old to keep busy. I appreciate the input on math. I feel I'm crazy for not liking math u see as it has good reviews!

Don't feel crazy!  You will find good and bad reviews for every curriculum! 

From the ones I have experience with I would recommend Math Mammoth.  Everything is written in the student book, it keeps it simple.  Even if you are busy with baby, she could go grab her book and sit down next to you and you guys could walk through it together. 

Can I recommend something for you?  It's a wonderful book about teaching math: it's called Math Power: How to Help Your Child Love Math, Even if You Don't by Patricia Clark Kenschaft.  It's a very inspiring read about how math learning works and how you can support it in young children through discussion, games, etc. as well as the frame of mind you bring to math learning & teaching.  It's been really helpful for a lot of people who don't enjoy or are intimidated by teaching math.  I'm re-reading it right now as I prepare to start teaching my second grader (with MM2) and I thought it might help you, too.

Math is my weakest personal subject, and I have used Singapore math for five years now, from the K program through level 6.  I didn't like level 6, but I otherwise found it simple to teach using the textbook.  I self-educated by reading the book by Liping Ma (forget the name...please someone help me with that) so I understood the difference between the typical way that math is taught in the US versus Asian countries.  Once I understood, it was simple.  You can truly learn along with the kids in Singapore math.  The bar diagrams have changed my math life.  All that to say "Don't be afraid to try Singapore!"  My kids have a very strong math background, my math has improved, and SM is not an overwhelming program (uses a thin textbook and a thin workbook for each semester).  So it has been a win-win for us.