Menu

Where do I find cute primary lined comp books?

My dd6 is going into first grade starting in September! She likes pretty things, cute things, and she loves art and writing. I want to have her enjoy her copywork in a cute comp book, the ones that are primary lined (since apparently no one makes Getty Dubay lined ones) with space to draw on top. I like the look of these http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/481005-i-bought-the-cutest-comp-books-yesterday/?fromsearch=1 but they are not primary lined or have drawing space on top.

Making them myself is um, out of the question as I'm not a handy/crafty person by nature (it stresses me out) and I'm busy :) I also have a 2-year-old and a rising fifth grader.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

PS: I just visited Carolina Pad, but I didn't see any primary lined there. A company like that with cute designs and primary lined comp books would be ideal!

I bought some from Books-a-Million a few weeks ago. They are cute in a grown up kind of way since I bought them for my use not dd's. there were other kinds more suited to children's tastes. They were all a bit more expensive than the ones one can purchase at target or Walmart.

I've found the journal type with primary lines and space for drawing at Office Depot/Office Max. They tend to have just the regular colors, though. Having said that, though, I find a color printer and full page sticker sheets can help make a kid who loves "cute" very happy with lower priced school supplies :).

Like these?

http://www.quill.com/mead-primary-composition-book/cbs/132160.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_OS_132160

You are going to have to decorate the cover - might be a fun for her project though! I've seen them at Walmart occasionally, and I think Staples. Oh and one year I found them at Target in the after school started clearance... but hadn't seen them before!

They aren't "cheap" though.

The ones I posted in the other thread draw there cuteness because they are smaller than normal size.

You could take a PDF of the paper you want, "build" a document and send it to be printed/Spiral bound at Staples/Office ____/FedEx. Then you have the size you want, the paper you want, the covers you want, and only have to go pick it up!

At Staples, I saw a kit for giving a comp cover a facelift, but I don't really know what was involved in it.

We've often taken images designed to be notebook covers, printed them at a reduced scale on sticker paper, and applied them to the cover of a comp book. There are some free WTM history division notebook covers in the link in my sig, or you can find other free ones online, or just find a favorite image. I've been using lots of painting images from wikipaintings.org lately for various projects.

compbook.jpg

I have my kids draw their own covers to their composition books.

I trace the outside of the cover onto cardstock and cut it out.

The kids use markers to draw the cover. I usually require they include their names somewhereon the cover.

You could include printed pictures or stickers, but I am lazy.

I glue the cover to the composition book.

After the glue dries, I laminate the cover with clear packing tape.

This method has worked fabulously for me for several years.

I can use whatever composition book I find and the kids get pretty custom covers.

I've used primary lined books, books half primary lined and half blank, wide rule, and college rule.

Rainbow Resource has these 4 animal ones -- some have the space for drawing, and some do not, so check the specifications.  I got some of these last year and was pleased.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=049384

I like the look of these! When I was growing up in a foreign country, we had lots of colorful notebooks with animals, landscapes, flowers, celebrities, art, you name it - no black marble composition books. I was wondering why. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! Off to shop now :)

I saw some cute primary comp books at Office Max.

I checked at Office Depot yesterday, and only black and white comp books for elementary-schooled kids (tax-free day). Sadly, no Walmart, Target, etc. in my area - about an hour or so away.

At Staples, I saw a kit for giving a comp cover a facelift, but I don't really know what was involved in it.

We've often taken images designed to be notebook covers, printed them at a reduced scale on sticker paper, and applied them to the cover of a comp book. There are some free WTM history division notebook covers in the link in my sig, or you can find other free ones online, or just find a favorite image. I've been using lots of painting images from wikipaintings.org lately for various projects.

compbook.jpg

There is such a thing as sticker paper??  :svengo:  A whole new world has opened up to me. This is great for ds9, who loves History. I can see him with this exact cover next year in 6th. I like the looks of the WTM covers, thanks!

I have my kids draw their own covers to their composition books.

I trace the outside of the cover onto cardstock and cut it out.

The kids use markers to draw the cover. I usually require they include their names somewhereon the cover.

You could include printed pictures or stickers, but I am lazy.

I glue the cover to the composition book.

After the glue dries, I laminate the cover with clear packing tape.

This method has worked fabulously for me for several years.

I can use whatever composition book I find and the kids get pretty custom covers.

I've used primary lined books, books half primary lined and half blank, wide rule, and college rule.

See now all that packing tape thing sounds like too much work to me  :laugh: I don't even know how to use contact paper  :leaving:

I've covered mine with scrapbook paper.

I did see these and thought they were cute. I didn't know what I would do with 24 of them, though.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/draw-and-write-journals-a2-12_4665-12-1.fltr?Ntt=draw and write

I think we may go with these - dd6 would love these :)  I showed them to ds9 and he liked them too. And I have dd2 who's going to want to write before I know it.