Menu

Bravewriter

woolybear

I've read about this in several places. I went to their website, but didn't really get the sense of what this is. I admit, I didn't have much time then to look. I am wondering, though, if any of you here can tell me more about it and/or review it?

Thanks.

It is hard to quantify. It does have some practical ideas (love those), but mostly it is a philosophy book. How to view writing. For me it was a paradigm shift in how I think about writing.

Overall I use many of the methods, but find it too relaxed for me, so I apply them to other programs. (It is based on Ruth Beechick methods.) It is also a little intangible for me, though she will give you more concrete, "here is what to do" type information if you ask. She used to hang out on the boards, so you never know. She might post here.

Blessings,

Heather

More than any other writing approach, The Writer's Jungle focusses on developing and maintaining a good writing 'voice'. Since this is one of my main reasons for homeschooling my DD, this is immensely valuable to me.

Also, it teaches and empowers the homeschooling PARENT to establish and encourage a writing-oriented lifestyle, and to immerse children in an atmosphere where good literature, discussions, and writing are experienced in lots of different forms, along with practice and honing of skills. I feel so much more capable after having read and implemented a lot of aspects of her recommendations, and I know that I have become a better and more encouraging teacher because of it.

It is not, in and of itself, a program that tells you how to teach grammar or punctuation (except for its emphasis on copywork and dictation, which are immensely valuable in those areas.) So you would also need a decent grammar/proofreading text or approach.

I don't think that this program is one that most people can swallow and implement in one quick gulp--it's definately not 'grab and go' or even 'step by step' but it is SO valuable that I have no qualms about highly recommending it. And if you like the approach but want the more step by step instruction, you can sign up for daily emails a la Flylady at the Bravewriter website, or sign up for KidsWrite Basic, which walks you through walking your child through the entire process of writing a good finished piece.

The Bravewriter home page (http://www.bravewriter.com) has a place in the upper right hand corner to click on if you're new to BW. When you start there you'll be able to get an overview, including a chapter by chapter description of The Writer's Jungle.

At the bottom of the home page you can also click on"forums" to get to the (public) "Scratch Pad" where people are able to ask questions and get responses from the author as well as other families using this approach.

If you're short on time, I think this would be the quickest way to get a sense of whether or not BW is right for you.

Thank you all for your help. I took some more time and went back to the website. I looked at the if your new to bravewriter section which was very helpful. Then I found the lifestyle section which is also very good. I see there is much to read there. I am very interested and will give this more time.

be sure to sign up for the daily emails. they are like "flylady" but for writing. Julie will remind to watch movies, skip math, have tea time, go outside, have your child tell you how to do something and a lot of other bravewriter activites we all mean to do but somehow don't get around to!

kate in seattle

whose daughter lynne was one of the original guinea pigs for BraveWriter!

I am very impressed with what I've seen so far and excited too. Yes, some of it is stuff that you think,"I knew that" but never do it. Other things there are new to me. Much of it is, however, a new way of thinking about something I *thought* I understood. It also ties so much together.

Some more questions....How much does The Writer's Jungle add to what you can get from the website,blog,and e-mails? And if I do decide to get it, can anyone tell me what is different from the first edition to the second. It's quite expensive and getting it used would save a bit,but I have only seen the first edition available used.

Thanks again for any help.

I am very impressed with what I've seen so far and excited too. Yes, some of it is stuff that you think,"I knew that" but never do it. Other things there are new to me. Much of it is, however, a new way of thinking about something I *thought* I understood. It also ties so much together.

Some more questions....How much does The Writer's Jungle add to what you can get from the website,blog,and e-mails? And if I do decide to get it, can anyone tell me what is different from the first edition to the second. It's quite expensive and getting it used would save a bit,but I have only seen the first edition available used.

Thanks again for any help.

I think that depends on how much you would use it. For me, I got the gist of what Julie was teaching, picked up the ball and ran with it- without needing to call myself a Bravewriter or do all the stuff on certain days or at all. I think she is basically giving tools so that we as parents are not intimidated by teaching writing to our dc, and also so that we dont feel restricted by rigid, formulaic curricula which turn many kids off writing. I had one of those children, and freewriting did help free his voice.

I did buy Writer's Jungle, read it, and sold it straight away because I knew it wasnt something I would use or refer back to. But that doesn't mean I didn't get anything from it- i did. But I already do dictation and narrations, and didnt need help with that, and adding in freewriting, and then editing of freewrites, is basically what I gained from the whole Bravewriter concept- and yes, you can get that from the website.

I think it depends on how much detail you need of "how" to implement Julie's ideas, which are not new, but she presents them for homeschoolers in a way that is very accessible. I didn't want all the detail, I realised. I just wanted the gist, and then did my own thing. hth

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered The Writer's Jungle (I found it used, second edition, for a reasonable price). In the meantime, I have been reading on her blog and website.

So today, I started Tuesday Tea Time. At one point my boys were arguing over what I should read next. So I said, "Well, if this goes well, we can do it every Tues. or maybe even a little more." Ds says, "Every day!!" So I think it's going pretty well.:)

Thanks for everyones help on this. I will let you know more after I get the book.