Menu

Barton users...how important are levels 9 and 10?

We've gone through 8. If I understand correctly, 9 and 10 are Greek and Latin roots. I do think there is value in learning these, but I'm wondering if there is a more economical way to do so that is dyslexic friendly. This year is going to be a super expensive one for a variety of reasons, so I'm trying to do things as economically as I can.

Thanks!

After listening to Susan Barton address this question, I think these levels will be very helpful for my daughter - we are on level 7 right now. However, depending on the age, I think these levels can and should be put off until older. Susan Barton generally recommends these for middle school.

I am a huge advocate for learning latin and greek roots for SAT/ACT prep. If your child is going to take those tests, I would definitely have them work through those levels. Perhaps you can wait till summer and fund the purchase with the sale of your current curriculum?

• 4 weeks later...

After my 4th grade DS starting studying Latin in March (at a really, really, really slow pace, with lots of review), we were pleasantly surprised that it actually helped him with reading and comprehension.  I didn't realize until then that over 50% of the English language is based on Latin.  We are also using Barton with my oldest and youngest, but oldest is further along.  After doing some research and seeing how learning a few basics in Latin really helped my youngest, we have decided to continue through the entire series of Barton with both kids, since the Latin and Greek roots have already been helpful.  I did get a warning from another parent, though, that some kids may need to wait until 8th or 9th grade to start Level 9 and 10.  I estimate we will finish with Level 8 sometime in Spring 2015  with my oldest (having to take a week and a half to two weeks for each lesson sometimes), then assess whether we need to pause for a year before starting Level 9.  Trying to save up money for the Levels we still have to go....One thing that has helped us when we need to pause before starting a new Level (for financial reasons or otherwise), is knowing we have plenty of material in the boxes and on-line for reviewing previous levels and making certain that all levels are understood and the material retained.  The extra review has been very helpful and the next Level up goes much smoother if we take that time.

My view now is that our really basic, very slow Latin lessons are even helping us with math and science since many math and science terms are based on Latin.  I can't imagine how much more helpful an in-depth study of the Latin and Greek roots would be to my kids once they are a little older, more mature and further along in Barton.

I can't speak to Barton's Levels 9 & 10, but I used EPS's Vocabulary from Classical Roots series for both of my younger two children with language-based learning challenges. We started somewhere around 7th-9th grade. My daughter completed the whole series, while my son just did 2 books before he went into school. They both have scored high on vocabulary on various tests as older teens. My daughter, whose vocabulary scores were depressed when she was in mid-elementary had very high ACT/SAT scores in her senior year.

I don't know about how the scope and sequence would line up, but I'd consider moving to AAS 7 which is also Greek/Latin roots. I've noticed so far that AAS and Barton are incredibly similar but Barton moves more slowly and includes more specific dyslexic helps - blue paper, the hand signals, etc. than AAS does. If you think your child could handle a faster pace, AAS could be a good option for the same material.