Menu

4H Baking Madness

mrs.m

We have to turn in the cookies tomorrow morning. DS is not getting that they have to be uniform and small to bake right. Anyway, the last batch had two perfect cookies but we need to turn in three. DH walked in and picked up one of the two perfect cookies and ate it.  :banghead: Here's hoping the batch in the oven has two or we will be mixing up another batch.

DS just came to show me a picture on his phone what they are supposed to look like.  :p  I''m glad we have technology to confirm what mom says is true. LOL!

Anyway, my waistline seriously can't take another batch. Even if they turn out ugly, they still taste gooooooooood!!!

Up next tonight is DD making cheese muffins.  :svengo:

We entered 4 cookie recipes and 3 candy recipes in our fair--lots of leftovers in the freezer! Many years ago a judge wrote a comment on my exhibit tag that my cookies should be uniform. I bought a little ice cream scoop that ensures each cookie has the same amount of dough and our fair entries have done well since then. I use it even when it's not fair time--good portion control. Recipes that are supposed to yield 48 cookies actually yield about 48 cookies!

I have a little cookie scoop from PC but of course I can't find it! I forgot to buy a new one for tonight's preparations. The projects have been that way this year. I think it is from adding in the 2nd kid.

I tried to encourage him to do rice crispy treats instead of the cookies. But no... I'm honesty not enough of a perfectionist for the county fair.  :lol:

We skipped cooking this year. I'm sooooooooooooo glad! The eldest ds is a budding chef and his projects are always quite time consuming. There was the year of the truffles in which it took four hours just to cook the ganache, and since he had two other candies going at the same time, guess who spent time watching the ganache so it wouldn't scorch while he was spreading chocolate on his heath bar candy!

There was dd's ambulance cake that took three people to assemble/hold in place while she did the fondant and was so heavy it took two people to carry into the exhibits barn, and .....yep, I needed a vacation.

I have a feeling though that I won't be able to get out of it next year.

Just sent my daughter out the door with her three types of candy for the advanced candymaking class. 

For those of you in the heat of it all, our 4-H years are winding down and I'm finding I'm already missing the fair project commotion.  Not the emergencies (!), just the focus and the fun.

This is our 1st year in 4H and this stuff is already stressing me out. I have never even BEEN to a county fair, much less participated in one. I need a few smaller projects she can submit so she can at least participate.  It scares me to death to be honest. These people where I live live and breathe county fair projects.

Both projects got a blue ribbon!  :hurray:

I don't think we will do cooking again next year. That was too stressful!

Cajunrose, does your fair having "read a book"? That's an easier project. Also, don't feel bad about doing one project really well your first year. 

This is our 1st year in 4H and this stuff is already stressing me out. I have never even BEEN to a county fair, much less participated in one. I need a few smaller projects she can submit so she can at least participate.  It scares me to death to be honest. These people where I live live and breathe county fair projects.

There's families like that in every county!

Good starter projects for us were:

Easy cooking projects, like trail mix or Rice Krispy treats

Book projects, like making bookmarks or dioramas

Beginning photography

Pet projects--varied, usually involved bringing in pet and/or making a poster

Ask around because areas will vary locally--for instance, in our county, judging for sketching and cake decorating is pretty brutal so it's good to stay away as first years.

Be sure and read project requirements carefully.  Putting one instead of two cookies on a plate can make the difference between a blue and red ribbon.

Take pictures of projects this year and file away to look at when you're deciding on next year's projects.  It helps to jog your memory!

Good luck--and most importantly have fun.  We have a lot of positive 4-H fair memories here.

WOW, our 4H judges aren't so picky with the kids.  I can't imagine baking dozens of cookies just to get 3 perfect ones.  My kids bake a batch and pick the nicest 3 and go with that.

The only issues we have had were with the 1 dozen eggs.  after they were judged the judge told dd to take them home and not display them.  Then a few days later someone came to her leader and said they needed to see the eggs (so home we went to get them) but yet someone else said they didnt' need them.  This year I asked and they said to bring them in to judge and then leave an EMPTY egg carton with her ribbon but take the eggs home.  They just dont' want a dozen raw eggs sitting out for a week in hot temps.........tempting kids who might find "creative" uses for them.