Menu

Calling Dr. Hive.... sudden onset allergy attack for no apparent reason

KrissiK

Ok, we're all stumped, including my allergist, so I thought I'd give the Hive a shot. I'm 45 years old, no alleriges growing up. About 10 years ago, I started having allergy symptoms, was tested, tested positive for most things and have been on immunotherapy ever since. So, now, for the past year or so, I've started having these strange allergy attacks -rhinitis, tight chest, coughing, congestion, throat constriction. They come on suddenly and for no rhyme or reason. There are no patterns. Benadryl is about the only thing that helps. My allergist is stumped. She suggested maybe I have Silent GERD, so I was on Prilosec for a month, but I didn't see it made a difference. Yesterday I had a bad one. Kept the epi-pen handy. Today I still have a tight chest and coughing, but I feel a little better. Anyone else have experience with strange, unexplained allergic reactions?

How's your heart? Not to scare you, but speaking from my experience. 

I was treated for night time asthma 6 months prior to my open heart surgery for a valve replacement.

The doctor thought I was using my inhalers improperly. I couldn't catch my breath when I would lay down sometimes. It wasn't consistent. My regular doc. didn't get it. DH came to my appointment and insisted on more tests. They found the heart stuff and it was like, "Oopsie." My surgery shortly followed. 

Something to make sure it isn't. 

You think so? Are those symptoms? I wouldn't necessarily say I'm stressed or anything, although I do have 5 very high maintainance children. I used to have then occasionally in college. Hmm.

The tight chest and throat constriction can be part of a panic attack.  The rhinitis and coughing not so much except that if everything is constricted, it can make you cough.  I have seen some articles that suggest that panic attacks seem to be more common in people with allergic rhinitis so it might be a combination of things.  Or not.  It's just something you might bring up with your doctor to see what he/she thinks.  

I've had random attacks like that for years.  I do have non-erosive reflux disease which manifests like "silent" GERD--my worst symptoms have always been the lump-in-the-throat feeling and a nighttime cough.  My gastroenterologist believes my body over-reacts to normal amounts of stomach acid.  For several years I was on generic Protonix and had almost none of the allergy-like attacks while I was on it.  I wouldn't put too much faith in a trial of Prilosec if it was the OTC variety.  It's a very low dose, and may not have been enough to help you.  It was totally useless for me, even taking it twice a day (per doctor's directions).