Menu

Help! Illustrated history book as read aloud for 3rd grader

Juliegmom

I've decided to wait to do MFW ECC until next year due to family medical reasons. Last year was our first year homeschooling and my dd's favorite time was the read alouds. At this point I'm considering any history we do for 3rd grade to be gravy. I'd like to find an illustrated history text that I could read to my dd throughout the year. I'm flexible on the time period. We are stateside for a period of time, but will eventually be returning to Albania where library access is limited. I would just select some good books for read aloud/history, but I can't take up valuable suitcase space with a bunch of books and I don't have a lot of money to spend. Any suggestions?

The American Story comes to mind - short stories in chronological form from early discoveries all the way to.. I think the year 2000 or so. Heavily illustrated. I'm reading it to my dd6 and dd10 will be reading it on his own this fall.

There's a nice illustrated edition of A Little History of the World now.

Or you could get the Usborne Encyclopedia.

But I like the idea of doing The American Story, which is vignettes about American history.

Why does it need to be illustrated?  It would seem like doing Story of the World just as a read aloud would be fine.

There's a nice illustrated edition of A Little History of the World now.

Or you could get the Usborne Encyclopedia.

But I like the idea of doing The American Story, which is vignettes about American history.

Why does it need to be illustrated? It would seem like doing Story of the World just as a read aloud would be fine.

I was thinking in terms of keeping it fun and holding my daughter's interest, but when I think about it she has enjoyed reading many books with few illustrations. :-)

A Living History of Our World, by Angela O'Dell (published by Queen's) could be a standalone read aloud, although there is a student journal sold to go with it. There are several volumes covering American history and world history. On her site she talks about her love of living books, but wanting a spine that could stand even when there was no time to gather other resources. http://angelaodell.com/a-living-history-of-our-world/. Samples are on her site.

Now, off to check out The American Story...sounds fun!

Well, shoot. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't actually click the link to realize it took me to Facebook. I've been on their email list for years and saw a sample that way, but it's been long enough I don't have the link anymore. In that case, I'd call or email them and ask for the sample directly. They've been great about that in the past.