Menu

Used book conditions listed somewhere on Amazon???

klmama

I ordered a used book that was listed as "very good" condition. I would call it somewhere between "acceptable" and "good."  I'd like to know what Amazon considers each of these conditions to be before I complain to the seller, and I can't find a list.  If you know where to look, please share!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161242

Books -- New and Used

In addition to the General Condition Guidelines, apply the following guidelines to new and used books:

• Used - Like New: Dust cover is intact, with no nicks or tears. Spine has no signs of creasing. Pages are clean and not marred by notes or folds of any kind. May contain remainder marks on outside edges, which should be noted in listing comments.
  • Used - Very Good: Pages and dust cover are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine is undamaged.
  • Used - Good: All pages and cover are intact (including the dust cover, if applicable). Spine may show signs of wear. Pages may include limited notes and highlighting. May include "From the library of" labels.
  • Used - Acceptable: All pages and the cover are intact, but the dust cover may be missing. Pages may include limited notes and highlighting, but the text cannot be obscured or unreadable.
  • Unacceptable: Includes missing pages and obscured or unreadable text. We also do not permit the sale of advance reading copies, including uncorrected proofs, of in-print or not-yet-published books.

IMHO, unless it is a particularly high-value item, the seller should/will probably give you a full refund and allow you to keep the book.

I see people complain about this here all the time, but I've only had one bad used buy from Amazon.  It was really bad...  the book had clearly been peed on by a cat or other animal and had the stains and smell to prove it.  But I buy a lot of used books, so I'm okay with one dud.  Send them a picture and complain.

IMHO, unless it is a particularly high-value item, the seller should/will probably give you a full refund and allow you to keep the book.

You were right!  I emailed the seller, and she apologized profusely and refunded my money.  The book is mine to keep, such as it is.  If it doesn't last through this dc, we'll buy another copy for the next one. 

I've bought tons of used books from Amazon and mostly had good experiences.

But I think they should add something in the description about smoke odor.

I've gotten a couple of books recently that were in the condition specified but obviously had been in a smoking household. It has kind of put me off used for a while, except textbooks and larger books that are very expensive new.