Menu

Kindle ??

Jess4879

I am looking at getting a Kindle, just the cheapest, most basic model.  My question is - can I take my Mr.Q's science off my computer and put it on my Kindle?  AND if we sit on the couch as a family and read, can everyone see the screen, or will certain angles/glare reduce screen visibility?

I have a Kindle Fire, so it's a little bigger screen (I think) than the other Kindles and it is also in color, not that it's a big deal really, but Mr. Q's books have pictures and whatnot. I was able to load the book onto the Kindle easily, you can google how to load a pdf onto a Kindle, there are a couple of ways to do it. I have a USB cord so I just connected the Kindle to my computer and did it that way, but I believe you can email the files to the Kindle also.

I have a Kindle Fire, so it's a little bigger screen (I think) than the other Kindles and it is also in color, not that it's a big deal really, but Mr. Q's books have pictures and whatnot. I was able to load the book onto the Kindle easily, you can google how to load a pdf onto a Kindle, there are a couple of ways to do it. I have a USB cord so I just connected the Kindle to my computer and did it that way, but I believe you can email the files to the Kindle also.

Do you find it easy to read from the Kindle as a family?

Do you find it easy to read from the Kindle as a family?

I'm mostly reading to my kids because they're still young (oldest is 7). I'll stop and show them pictures as I go. Because this is a PDF that you're reading from the text is smaller than typical books, you can zoom in, but then it doesn't show the whole page. So, no it's not as convenient as having a book in front of me, but it works for us.  In reality I don't find it easy to read any book as a family because I always have 1 on my lap, 1 on either side of me, and 1 on the floor pulling on my legs :lol:

I have Mr. Q on my iPad, my Kindle (the basic one), and my computer. It's much harder to read on the Kindle than on the other two. The screen is so small on the Kindle, and with it being a PDF, it's not the easiest for navigating pages -- Kindle books are much nicer on the Kindle, though. If the Kindle were my only option for Mr. Q, I may not have opted for Mr. Q at all. I also think it would be harder to show everyone the pictures, both because they're black and white, and because the Kindle screen is small.

However, the Kindle is great for Kindle books, and DD really prefers reading from it to reading from print books.

I have Mr. Q on my iPad, my Kindle (the basic one), and my computer. It's much harder to read on the Kindle than on the other two. The screen is so small on the Kindle, and with it being a PDF, it's not the easiest for navigating pages -- Kindle books are much nicer on the Kindle, though. If the Kindle were my only option for Mr. Q, I may not have opted for Mr. Q at all. I also think it would be harder to show everyone the pictures, both because they're black and white, and because the Kindle screen is small.

However, the Kindle is great for Kindle books, and DD really prefers reading from it to reading from print books.

Thanks!  This helps a lot.  I am a "paper" type of person, so Mr.Q's drives me a bit crazy having to read off the computer.  Doesn't sound like a Kindle is going to help us much though.  May have to print it.  *sigh*

Love love love my kindle! We have 3 of them so I buy a book once and then everyone can follow along. A lot of books we read are actually free from Kindle so even better. Not sure it would be worth it for what you are trying to do, though. If you got the bigger kindle HD, it might work.

I love my Kindle, but I don't think it would work for what you want it for. I couldn't read from it to my kids like a book where they can read along with me.

However, I do tons of read-alouds on mine, and there is a never-ending supply of interesting OOP books available for free. We just finished Stories of Beowulf Told to the Children.

Mr Q works better on an Ipad mini than a regular KIndle. I can pinch open and scroll on the iPad mini and that makes all the difference. I am using Mr Q on my iPad mini and didn't think I would be able to.

I'm in my mid 40 and getting typical age related sight problems. Still, I can read the student pages with no problem. For some of the teacher pages, I need to pinch open and scroll.

I got talked into the iPad mini for a trial by a sales person and didn't expect to keep it. It was the fact that I can use Mr Q on it so easily that was one of the major reasons I'm keeping it.

The squarish screen and white borders allows easier pdf reading than many other options with bigger but shorter and wider screens. The iPad is also lighter in weight. It is really a nice pdf reader. I just didn't expect that. And all the free vintage Google books were originally about the iPad mini size.

If you want to do more pdf reading, save up for a iPad mini with white borders.

Oh, and I wanted to say--I keep all my ebook collections on a card in my cellphone. When I am at a hotspot or friends house, I drop the books I want on my iPad, into dropbox which I installed on both my phone and iPad mini. I can then just get the ebook out of dropbox and move it to the app I want to read it in.

And in a pinch I read the ebooks on my cell phone. It also has a pinch open and scroll feature on it. I can read Mr Q easier on my phone than a netbook, believe it or not. I have done it.

Oh, and I wanted to say--I keep all my ebook collections on a card in my cellphone. When I am at a hotspot or friends house, I drop the books I want on my iPad, into dropbox which I installed on both my phone and iPad mini. I can then just get the ebook out of dropbox and move it to the app I want to read it in.

And in a pinch I read the ebooks on my cell phone. It also has a pinch open and scroll feature on it. I can read Mr Q easier on my phone than a netbook, believe it or not. I have done it.

I liked the Kindle with the 3G, as we are rural and don't have any hotspots.  However...we are in areas with hotspots regularily enough, although I'm not sure I'd love having to "plan ahead" to download books. 

I had a 3g KIndle when I was home a lot without wifi, last winter. It was worth it, then. Right now I always at least have my cell phone, and I have a neighbor that's lets me tap off his signal, for now at least, with my iPad mini. I have friends that let me trade around devices with them, so have had the opportunity to try out different things at different times. I wasn't using the 3G and somebody else was completely without wifi, so the 3G went where it would be used NOW.

And I'm never home right now anyway. :lol: I'm hopping from one hotspot and friend's house to another. It's the weight of books that is the problem for me right now.

When I went to the store to buy a Kindle (or a Nook, at the time I wasn't dead set on a Kindle, but now I have both and I hate the Nook and never use it, but I digress) I was so bunged up with angst about buying a "toy" that I might not really use that I called my husband nearly crying over my indecision about what to do. It seems silly now, as I love and use the Kindle.

When I went to the store to buy a Kindle (or a Nook, at the time I wasn't dead set on a Kindle, but now I have both and I hate the Nook and never use it, but I digress) I was so bunged up with angst about buying a "toy" that I might not really use that I called my husband nearly crying over my indecision about what to do. It seems silly now, as I love and use the Kindle.

This is so me!  I was debating about getting one LAST year and I am still undecided!  LOL

The squarish screen and white borders allows easier pdf reading than many other options with bigger but shorter and wider screens. The iPad is also lighter in weight. It is really a nice pdf reader. I just didn't expect that. And all the free vintage Google books were originally about the iPad mini size.

If you want to do more pdf reading, save up for a iPad mini with white borders.

I'm actually encouraged by your experience with reading PDFs on the Mini Hunter - thanks for sharing them. I keep thinking my kids need big iPads, but maybe the Minis will work out best for them!