Menu

TOPS Lentils??

Listening in, considering it here too for boys that love their sand box.  Hoping someone with firsthand experience will post and clue us both in!  I know I have heard over and over that it is worth getting the kit instead of trying to DIY, as it seems to be time consuming to set up initially from most reports.

I bought it when my kids were young and I was really enthused about it, but I was overwhelmed collecting the materials, even with a dh who was a vet and got the medicine vials special ordered for me! I never did use it. I have the book somewhere, PM me and I will find it and offer it for cheap! Lol. The materials are the tricky part. If you can buy their kit, I would advise that!

I would not recommend it unless you have an only child or maybe if it is your youngest. We tried it for a while and it was a big mess! LOL

The activities were nothing special. I have enjoyed other TOPS units, but not that one, and then I was irritated that I had spent the extra money on the kit and the time on the supplies.

Geezle did this at a coop several years ago and that was a big success. I wouldn't want to try to do this in a home with smaller kids (or my older asd son) because I hate finding lentils everywhere. I'd take a look at the Young Scientist Club kits on Amazon, that might work better.

We did this.  I have mixed feelings about it.

Even buying the kit, it was a ton of work to set it up.  A Ton.  I plugged through it, and DS enjoyed it immensely.  We did it in K and part of 1st.  It was definitely enjoyed, DS managed to keep the lentils contained, and it was good.

Still, I'm not sure it was worth all the work that went into prepping it. 

I gave it away a few years ago, and breathed a deep breath as it left the house.  I won't be doing it again with DD.  We'll do other kits, but not that one.  

We haven't used it yet, but I just bought it and am in the process of setting it up. A few things: 

1. Get the kit with the supplies. Really. It takes a while to gather everything *not* included in the kit, so save yourself the headache.

2. I took the book to Office Depot, had them cut off the spine and then photocopy the book. This wasn't to infringe someone's copyright, but because you can't use the job cards if you don't. Grr. It was an extra $14 for the photocopying. 

3. To organize the job cards and all the paper bits, I used one folder for each "section" (A-G?). I stapled the introduction and the "Extra Supplies" list on the left, and used packing tape and a 4x6 card on the right to create a pocket. Then I folded all the job cards and started cutting out the booklets and fiddly bits. 

Working steadily, I labelled all of the jars and things from the kit in one evening (after the kids went to bed), then another night for the organizing the projects. It took me a bit to find all of the extra jars/bottles and whatnot. 

I'm currently trying to figure out where to put the entire monstrosity so it doesn't look, well, tacky for the entire year. 

We are doing this for 2nd grade, and are doing it in addition to earth science and astronomy. 

I really, really hope the kids like it.