Menu

Am I moving too fast?

My daughter is 5 and we are currently using Right start Math B. Based on reading other threads about RS and the age of kids involved I'm beginning to wonder if she/I are moving too fast. We are a few lessons away from the mid book test, lesson 59? Im not trying to compare to other kids just wondering if I should slow the lessons down. If she has a hard time with a lesson we slow down and repeat it if necessary. Although, in the web discussions RS have sometimes they said to just keep going because the next lessons will build on the concepts. Right now we are learning adding 1,10 and 100 to a number and shes having a little bit of a hard time. As I look ahead to the rest of the lessons I realized she already knows to tell time, skip count by 2, 5, 10, 100, 1000 so we will breeze through the next few lessons. Do I slow down and do more games and reinforce what she already knows or keep going? I only started homeschooling full time in January and dont want to overburden her since shes just 5. Thanks for reading and advice.

My DD is working ahead and every now and then we hit something that she has a harder time with - this is what I do:

1. stop until I can figure out what is wrong - is there a gap, is she just tired that day or hungry, have I not taught in a way that suits her

2. teach again in a way that suits her better if this is the issue

3. if that doesn't work put it away for a week or two and do another curriculum or something else (time, measurement whatever) - I use multiple curricula for this reason

4. come back to the issue again and usually at this stage everything is fine and she can do it easily then I move forward again.

I do not believe in slowing down just because someone decides that is what this age child should know - I go at the pace of my child which doesn't have to be a constant pace either.

I don't have a fully cooked kid yet, but the only time individualized math pacing has made me nervous (and I use the term loosely) has been with the kid who struggles in math. I have slight anxiety about keeping her on a path that will get to a decent point by graduation.

Even my kid who went back to p.s. did fine with individualized pacing. He got bumped back due to lack of course availability and is up to Alg 2 as a sophomore. No big damage done! ;-)

Sounds good to me. You are going at her speed. Right now it seems fast to you but as long as she is grasping what is taught and wanting more then move ahead.

I thought the same thing with dd, she was devouring curricula at lightning speed. At the rate she was going she would be finished 12th grade by 6th. However she started slowing down around the middle of her 2nd grade stuff. When she was in devour mode I let her know she could let me know if she needed to slow down or take a break (sometimes kids feel they have to keep going or it is a fail). Just reassure your child she could slow down and then let her lead the pace.

Thank you for the responses. These last few lessons ive had to teach her trying a few different ways. Also discovered its best to do math first before she starts getting hyper. She is the kind of kid that jumps around while skip counting and does 2 things at the same time. Glad that im doing the right thing by keeping at her pace. Just want to make sure I shouldn't be doing more practice rather than moving ahead in the book. Thanks again

I have one of those little girls :)

Mine will be six in a couple of months, but she has always worked ahead. She's doing 2nd grade math this year. She doesn't really like math, but she gets it. She doesn't struggle with it. So, like you, we keep on keeping on.