Menu

Sydney travel questions

warneral

We are considering a trip to Sydney.. It seems flights from Chicago, US are around 1800-2500 which doesn't leave us much for hotel stay. DH would like to see the Australian Open in January. We really can't afford to drive across the continent or even far up or down the Eastern coast. I do not love big cities and prefer more secluded beach towns or jungle/nature opportunities. I could tolerate 5 days in Sydney but would want to go elswhere for the other 10+ days

Here are my questions:

* If we travel to SYDNEY in January, are typical rates round trip $2k?

* Are there locations in the Sydney vicinity (no more than 6-7hr) to drive to quiet beach towns, snorkeling, jungle, etc.? If so where would you suggest?

* Where from Sydney could we get an up-close experience with the fauna?

* Tasmania and the northern coast both look great but it looks like the best way to get there from Sydney is to fly which adds up for 4 people

Any other suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Sydney, but do remember, it will probably be bloody hot in January and half the state could be on fire. So make a plan B and C for leaving town, just in case. The Blue Mountains are just outside Sydney and are quite lovely, though, as I said, they may be on fire. I am not sure there is such thing as a quiet beach town in January.

Yes, Sydney to Tasmania would require a flight. I don't know where you mean by north coast, so can't comment on whether it's a flight or a drive. As far as my non-sporty self knows, the Australian Open is played in Melbourne. A better choice may be Melbourne for the tennis, then to Tasmania. That burned horribly this past summer, so fires should be a minor issue this next summer. They have plenty of nature, and with 10 days and a hired car, you could see most of the state.

I hope someone can provide you with better information. I think there are one or two people on here who live up that way.

the tennis is defiantly played in Melbourne, and if you don't plan on driving for a whole day straight why don't you just come to Melbourne instead of Sydney? Not sure what you mean by Jungle do you mean bush? Australia isn't really in the tropics ( apart form the very top bit) and has bush instead of jungle. Both Melbourne and Sydney are right on the coast and there are heaps of beaches for swimming. January is school holidays so there will be lots of people at the beach unless you plan to drive way out along the coast.

I am pretty sure that flights will be around 2K per person. We are a very long way away from the rest of the world.

ask away if you have any more questions and we will try to answer, though like Rosie I live in Victoria and know mostly this state.

Oh perfect! I'd rather choose Melbourne! Is there a ferry (or other inexpensive way) to Tasmania? I would be happy to drive 5-7 hr to find a more remote beach/surfing village from Melbourne. Any suggestions? By jungle I meant rainforest but that isn't necessary. Thanks so much!

There is a ferry to Tassie, but I wouldn't call it inexpensive, myself. See what you think: http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au

For remote beaches in Victoria, you'd have to ask Melissa. I think you'd have to go about that far at that time of year, though perhaps Crazy Stupid Love has suggestions for the west.

The bush is easy to find in Victoria and Tasmania. Healesville Sanctuary is the place to go to see Aussie animals in Vic, unless you want to come up here and look at roos. Healesville certainly has a better selection though :p http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville

Rain forests are only in far North Queensland :).

You can catch a ferry to Tasmania but it is not cheap (in fact nothing in Australia is cheap but especially not in January during the school holidays. Most people take their holidays then ...just after Christmas so prices for everything are at a premium). January is also HOT.... As in bushfire...not safe to go outside all day hot. I doubt you will want to go to the beach or trekking through a rainforest in that weather :)

If you are willing to drive 5-7 hours you could come over here to Adelaide ....our beaches are quiet but not that great. The best beaches are in Sydney or Brisbane.

The most important thing to know is to remove the word "cheap" from your vocabulary when talking about travelling in Australia in January lol.

If you want cheap Rosie might let you camp on her property lol.

Melbourne does have a great public transport system though...and lots of fun places to visit. I prefer it any day to sydney.

I thought Glenelg was lovely for a city beach! But it would take 5 minutes or less to burn to a crisp in summer.

Of course you are wrong about best beach locations. They are actually on the Victorian and Western Australian coast lines. ;)

Haha, yes, they could camp here. It would be cheap. But it would also be without regular showers since we're not on town water and without air conditioning because we're not on the grid either. There isn't much to look at other than bush, though we have a nice dam for swimming in.

Thanks you Rosie, Melissa and sewingmama! I'm thinking that dh's dream to see the Aus Open might not make for the best vacation! He had suggested NZ at one time. Perhaps a Feb visit there would be a better choice. I'm thankful for your help!

Dreams should be fulfilled if possible, I say, but I can't say it would be my idea of a fun holiday. :p

Maybe start another thread so the NZers see it. Feb would be even worse than Jan here, but I don't know about there. I'm sure you'll work out something though. :)

No air conditioning!!!! How do you survive.

We lie around watching movies until the trees are casting shadows over the dam. And we eat out of tins because I can't cook in a kitchen full of flies. On the bright side, in summer ds doesn't climb his muddy bum into my bed. Call me a snob, but I prefer dry sand in my bed than wet sand. :p

The scenery is good though!

How do you cope with living in Adelaide? I hear the nights are boring there. :p

(I actually like Adelaide. I must be boring, heheh)

any beaches in Gippsland are lovely http://www.visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Gippsland/Activities-and-attractions/Nature-and-wildlife/Beaches.aspx

the further east you go the less people. I would recommend the Cape Conran Coastal park. there are lots of campsites at the beach, though over the summer months you need to book ahead as they fill up. there are also cabins there but I believe you need to book them 6 months ahead. I would avoid towns like Lakes Entrance as it is absolutely full of visitors. All Australian beaches have strong Rips. o be mindful of that while swimming.

The good thing about East Gippsland is there is heaps of bush and some of it is temperate rainforests, plus East Gippsland tends to burn less, being a bit wetter then the rest of the state.

School holidays are usually from week before Christmas until start of Feb and that is the big school holiday so every man and his dog will be out and about. Also hot!! Last summer (so Dec to Feb) for my area (Geelong) was 25-35ish ºC but we did get some 40+ºC days. So keep the heat in mind if you travel during summer.

Torquay and Bells Beach are world class surfing areas and have 'learn to surf' opportunities. Torquay is also *the* place for Quiksilver, Roxy and the other surfy clothing brands.

If you drive the Great Ocean Road there are beaches all the way along, some with lifeguards and some with none (so basically swim at your own risk).

Also along Great Ocean Road are places for bush walking. Lorne is a hugely popular tourist place (and hugely expensive lol) anx if you drive up the hill in Lorne you'll get bush walking places too. Lorne is about an hour from Geelong and Geelong is about 50 mins from Melbourne. Torquay is 20mins from Geelong

I haven't ever travelled along the Great Ocean Road after Lorne so I'm not sure what is that way. Definitely bush walking and small beaches.