Menu

baking help needed!

4ofus

I messed up a cobbler recipe & combined 2 c sugar, 1 c flour, 3t baking powder.  I realized my mistake & set the mixture to the side while I re-did the recipe.  My question is ~ is there anything at all I can do with this mixture?  Or is it just set for the trash.  I'm not a cook in the sense that I can just figure it out ~ I am a recipe follower.

It's just so much sugar I don't know what I can do with it...

any help from bakers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Liz

This will probably sound strange, but I would put it in a Tupperware container and use it 2 tablespoons at a time in homemade pancakes. My recipe calls for 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, plus flour and baking powder, so having those ingredients mixed in will not hurt the recipe at all. Homemade pancakes are pretty forgiving.

You could save it for a batch of cookies.  If the cookie recipe calls for, say, 1cup white sugar and 1cup brown sugar, you could just add a teaspoon or two of molasses or pancake syrup to the mix.  HTH!

Will the baking powder in the mix mess up the cookies? I thought one always used baking soda in cookies.

Add ingredients to make a double batch of these blueberry muffins. I usually make part without the blueberries.

Blueberry Muffins

3 cup flour

1 ½ cup sugar

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ cup butter

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 ¾ cup blueberries

2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix dry ingredients, then cut butter into dry mixture.  SET ASIDE 1 CUP TO USE FOR CRUMB TOPPING.

To the remaining mixture add eggs, milk and vanilla and stir until ingredients are just combined.  Fold in blueberries.  Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray and fill each cup about two-thirds full.

Mix melted butter with reserved crumb mix and sprinkle on top of muffins.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.  Makes 12-24 muffins (depending on size of tins).

Will the baking powder in the mix mess up the cookies? I thought one always used baking soda in cookies.

Well . . . I don't know really, but baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and ? (cornstarch??), so it could still work. 

Another similar possibility would be using it in a quick bread recipe (banana bread, zucchini bread, etc.).