Menu

Suggested Language Arts for my 12 yo dd

chpiper

Language Arts is a very strong point for my dd and she is really about bored to tears with grammar, vocabulary, and spelling...reads well above her grade level, has great comprehension, and is a great writer...She does amazingly well in those areas even when doing programs well above her grade level.  She's going into eighth grade and will be studying Medieval History(BF) and Chemistry(CKE), as well as Algebra I(LOF) this year...any ideas for literature and language arts that might seem fun or interesting?  Maybe something a little less textbook or worksheet-like??  I'm coming up blank for this one....

When Calvin was that age we studied individual works of literature - I seem to remember doing a long study of The Merchant of Venice that year.  We had done Lightning Literature 7 the previous year.

We backed this up with Galore Park SY English 3.  It is a textbook, but the work is interesting for a child who is passionate about literature.  There are samples on that page.  If the level seems too low, then the next book is English Year 9 (you can see it on the same site).

ETA: If you do want to do the GP, I recommend getting the answer book - it really helped me to know how to extend my son's abilities by asking for more in-depth answers.

L

12 is the age I did an Anne of Green Gables study with my dd and it was a great yr.   I very loosely used Where the Brook and River Meet and totally revamped it to meet our needs (we did not approach it like a unit study at all and completely disregarded assignments, etc.   It helped more in finding resources and background info.)

Here is a link where I describe some of what we did:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/357965-anne-of-green-gables-study-guide/?do=findComment&comment=3721394

When Calvin was that age we studied individual works of literature - I seem to remember doing a long study of The Merchant of Venice that year.  We had done Lightning Literature 7 the previous year.

We backed this up with Galore Park SY English 3.  It is a textbook, but the work is interesting for a child who is passionate about literature.  There are samples on that page.  If the level seems too low, then the next book is English Year 9 (you can see it on the same site).

ETA: If you do want to do the GP, I recommend getting the answer book - it really helped me to know how to extend my son's abilities by asking for more in-depth answers.

L