Menu

Is this TMJ?

J-rap

For several months, one side of my jaw in back has been hurting more when I open my mouth wide. Now it is to the point where I can't open it enough to eat a thick sandwich or big bite of food! My dentist said he thinks it is TMJ, and that I should try and notice if I clench my teeth. He said the natural "closed" position of your mouth should be lips touching but teeth apart. I often find my teeth touching, even my back molars. When I wake up at night, they're in that position. I'm not clenching them tightly, though. I know there is some mouth piece you can wear at night...

It could be TMJ, but if you have never had it before, it might just be a sign that you're clenching or grinding your teeth while you sleep because you're tense or nervous or stressed. You could even be doing it to some extent while you are awake and not even notice it.

Does your jaw make little clicking sounds when you open and close your mouth? That's a sign of TMJ, as well.

That sounds like TMJ, but I don't even play a dentist on TV, so take my diagnosis with a grain of salt!

I can actually cure my TMJ when it flares up by putting a hot water bottle on my jaw.  I keep the bottle there as much as possible for a day or two, and the pain and weird jaw position will miraculously go away (for months/years). 

I've been under a lot of stress over the past few months and had started grinding my teeth while I sleep, causing jaw pain and headaches. I read a lot on it and before going for a mouthpiece, I decided to attempt a simple solution that I read about. I generally held my teeth closed when not using my mouth, but I read that the best way to try to prevent clenching and grinding is to slacken your jaw and keep the front of your tongue pressed to the roof of your mouth when not in use. It took a few weeks of constant vigilance, which I thought would never end. But, it has become second nature now and I find that I stay in that position without thinking about it.

It could be TMJ, but if you have never had it before, it might just be a sign that you're clenching or grinding your teeth while you sleep because you're tense or nervous or stressed. You could even be doing it to some extent while you are awake and not even notice it.

Does your jaw make little clicking sounds when you open and close your mouth? That's a sign of TMJ, as well.

That sounds like TMJ, but I don't even play a dentist on TV, so take my diagnosis with a grain of salt!

I can actually cure my TMJ when it flares up by putting a hot water bottle on my jaw.  I keep the bottle there as much as possible for a day or two, and the pain and weird jaw position will miraculously go away (for months/years).

I've been under a lot of stress over the past few months and had started grinding my teeth while I sleep, causing jaw pain and headaches. I read a lot on it and before going for a mouthpiece, I decided to attempt a simple solution that I read about. I generally held my teeth closed when not using my mouth, but I read that the best way to try to prevent clenching and grinding is to slacken your jaw and keep the front of your tongue pressed to the roof of your mouth when not in use. It took a few weeks of constant vigilance, which I thought would never end. But, it has become second nature now and I find that I stay in that position without thinking about it.

It used to click a little, but now I can't even open my mouth wide enough to click anymore! I will try a hot water bottle to see if that makes a difference. I had thought about doing that, but just hadn't tried it yet. I do try and slacken my jaw now that I'm thinking about it more, although I tend to get distracted quickly! Maybe the tongue trick will help me be more vigilant about it. Thanks for the tips!

It could be. You could look for a Rocabado trained physical therapist. TMJ can come from grinding or clenching and a night splint may help. Sometimes there is a tight joint capsule, tight ligaments, or a muscle imbalance. Forward head posture (very common these days with texting, leaning over tablets, laptops, sitting at a computer desk, reading, etc) can also impact it. So fixing it is going to depend on the origin of the issue in the first place. A night splint might help a clencher but may not be enough for someone with postural issues or a tight joint capsule. Some people have trouble with a little disc located in there. Small muscles of the mouth can spasm and cause pain as well.

A Rocabado trained PT or a PT with TMJ experience can help you figure out the origin of the issue. Sometimes manual stretching is helpful, sometimes people need to work on exercises for symmetrical opening and closing, sometimes the posture needs to be addressed, sometimes a night splint is necessary.

If you want a comprehensive eval, I'd look for a PT who does a good bit of TMJ work. You would call outpatient orthopedic practices and ask if they have anyone who sees a lot of TMJ patients.

It could be. You could look for a Rocabado trained physical therapist. TMJ can come from grinding or clenching and a night splint may help. Sometimes there is a tight joint capsule, tight ligaments, or a muscle imbalance. Forward head posture (very common these days with texting, leaning over tablets, laptops, sitting at a computer desk, reading, etc) can also impact it. So fixing it is going to depend on the origin of the issue in the first place. A night splint might help a clencher but may not be enough for someone with postural issues or a tight joint capsule. Some people have trouble with a little disc located in there. Small muscles of the mouth can spasm and cause pain as well.

A Rocabado trained PT or a PT with TMJ experience can help you figure out the origin of the issue. Sometimes manual stretching is helpful, sometimes people need to work on exercises for symmetrical opening and closing, sometimes the posture needs to be addressed, sometimes a night splint is necessary.

If you want a comprehensive eval, I'd look for a PT who does a good bit of TMJ work. You would call outpatient orthopedic practices and ask if they have anyone who sees a lot of TMJ patients.

Thank you -- this is very helpful!

My doctor diagnosed me by pressing on the spot just below and in front of the bottom of my ears where the jaw connects. He pressed there while asking me to open my mouth. It was a lot of pain! He confirmed my suspicion of TMJ and told me to see my dentist for a mouthguard. I looked up some exercise to do and that's helped. Along with ibuprofen when it's really bugging me. I have to be careful not to clench, rest my head in my hands, lean forward, chew gum,  jerky or anything really chewy.

This is exactly where mine hurts --

TMJ pain can be from a couple of things...misalignment, swollen joints and muscle, or arthritis.  About 8-10 years ago I was in a lot of pain and could not even open my mouth.  Dentist wanted me to wear a mouth piece 24/7 for 6 months and then wear braces for 2 years.  The thought of putting braces on my almost perfectly straight teeth and the thought of spending $5000 on all of that just about pushed me over the edge.  I began researching it myself and I have been able to get better and stay better for years.

I am not a night grinder.  I wake up feeling better than I do by the end of the day.  Things that helped me--

1) Becoming aware of how I 'set' my jaw during the day.  I practiced relaxing my face.  Times of stress really bring this on for me. 

2) Eliminating aggravating habits like chin in hand, sleeping on my hand, chewing gum, etc

3) Heat feels good but

4) Cold also helps.

5) Ibuprofin

6) Massages (find a massage therapist trained in TMJ massage.  It feels freaky but is very effective)

7) Exercises to relax my face...silently mouthing the word plum is helpful.

That is all I can think of for now.  So glad I didn't get braces!

TMJ pain can be from a couple of things...misalignment, swollen joints and muscle, or arthritis.  About 8-10 years ago I was in a lot of pain and could not even open my mouth.  Dentist wanted me to wear a mouth piece 24/7 for 6 months and then wear braces for 2 years.  The thought of putting braces on my almost perfectly straight teeth and the thought of spending $5000 on all of that just about pushed me over the edge.  I began researching it myself and I have been able to get better and stay better for years.

I am not a night grinder.  I wake up feeling better than I do by the end of the day.  Things that helped me--

1) Becoming aware of how I 'set' my jaw during the day.  I practiced relaxing my face.  Times of stress really bring this on for me. 

2) Eliminating aggravating habits like chin in hand, sleeping on my hand, chewing gum, etc

3) Heat feels good but

4) Cold also helps.

5) Ibuprofin

6) Massages (find a massage therapist trained in TMJ massage.  It feels freaky but is very effective)

7) Exercises to relax my face...silently mouthing the word plum is helpful.

That is all I can think of for now.  So glad I didn't get braces!

Thank you for all the good suggestions! It sounds like there are a lot of things I can try at home... Wow, I can't believe your dentist was pushing you to go the route he suggested. So glad you could avoid that. I will perhaps look into a massage therapist too. We wouldn't have any in our small town, but perhaps next time we visit the "big city!" :)