Menu

Scientists find new energy source

It looks pretty cool to me.

And the power of playing children has been harnessed--for drawing water. it's called a Playpump. Basically, it's a merry go round sort of thing. They set it outside a school in a poor village, and the kids turning it either direction while they play draws the water from a well--generally replacing hand pumps that women and girls must work to draw water for their households.

It looks pretty cool to me.

And the power of playing children has been harnessed--for drawing water. it's called a Playpump. Basically, it's a merry go round sort of thing. They set it outside a school in a poor village, and the kids turning it either direction while they play draws the water from a well--generally replacing hand pumps that women and girls must work to draw water for their households.

The pump makes a lot of sense. It doesn't take a giant leap of imagination to convert a hand pump to a screw-type pump. They're both pumps.

But getting electricity from urine? I don't have enough imagination to figure out how people will charge up their phones with this new technology. Not that it can't be done; I just don't have that kind of creative mind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what other discoveries it will lead to.

Essentially, I'd think you'd simply have a collector affixed to your toilet, which household members pee into, with a lever to move it out of the way when something other than urine is to be dropped in. the collector would channel the urine to the generator set-up, and and return it to the toilet when it's expended. The unit would have a power outlet which could be mounted on the bathroom counter. This would, I think, also nicely complement an off-grid composting toilet system.