Menu

Sensory family summer check in

Tiramisu

I've been having a rough couple of weeks with one of my sensory kids, and I was thinking about the great responses to a sensory thread over the winter and am trying to remind myself that I'm not alone.

How are the other sensory families out there doing?

By the way, mine made it through most of the winter in sandals...and survived with toes intact. :)

I hope I remember this thread on my bad days :)

So tired of listening to my seeker cry over not getting to wear long sleeves and pants on 100 degree days. So glad it's been raining this weekend, but what does she do? Go outside in her underwear...... seriously kid? Argh...

I've had the toe discussion with family members before. I keep telling them there's no way they'll lose their toes in the 1 minute it takes to get from the car to the house, they're fine. No one believes me.....

Since all this comes from somewhere  I will say "I want to shave my head so bad!" I promised dh I wouldn't this summer....gah I hate the heat...and I can feel my hair! It is all around me! TOUCHING ME... I totally sympathize with my kids . Ha!

This makes me smile :)  I joke with my kids that it's a good thing God gave ME to them.  I remember being that kid who's parents did.not.get.it. 

DD has discovered the love of these little, light cotton camisoles from Target. Apparently they don't bother her, and they're nice and cool. Along with cotton shorts, she's actually reasonably comfortable this summer. I'm sure she wouldn't be accepted at some of the more conservative homeschool groups in the area, but oh, well.

Her sandals are finally appropriate to the season, and we've been able to stock up on a couple more pairs. The hard part is finding girl's size 2 that don't have a heel (sigh...)

So far, summer camps and activities have gone reasonably well. She's at piano camp this week, and one thing I'm noticing is that, in a group, she really IS able to control the constant stream of sound that accompanies her at home. Now, it was like she exploded in the car on the way home yesterday, but in many ways, she appeared so "normal" that she surprised me when she came to my class (I'm teaching theory). I've also seen a real improvement, this summer, in how she reacts to other children, and that she's getting better at adapting to their needs. We have a little preschooler near us who has some sensory issues as well, and DD just seems to naturally "get" him, and will step in and try to make accommodations for him if needed (and will have no qualms in telling an adult "He's crying because that fan HURTS HIS EARS! TURN IT OFF NOW!!!"). There's also a girl not much younger than DD who has some developmental delays who she's befriended this summer at tumbling class, and she's better able to manage her frustration when she's helping the other child (even when adults don't necessarily want her to be the one giving advice). We've gotten the two girls together for playdates as well (the family lives near us), and it works well. DD's always been almost scared of younger kids for the same reason why she's scared of dogs-they're a sensory overload to her-so to see her able to adapt and support them, recognize what's happening, and put her own needs aside is just such a big developmental jump that I'm amazed.

The big downside-this year the bugs are worse than they've ever been. Mosquito bites are torture for a hypersensory kid!

I don't know if I should reply because this is the first year summer is going really well for us! Our sensory problems are more prevalent during the long winters.

Ds is actually starting to swim a few feet on his own (after something like 5 years of lessons and serious water sensory issues) and like PP's dd, he has blown up after full days of summer camp, but has held it together enough during camp to really enjoy it for the first time. We have been able to do some camping and day trips that we never could have done two years ago because of all the sensory issues, so major progress.

Hoping for progress for the rest of you soon too! Or at least a different positive sensory cycle.

After 8 weeks of steady work we have transitioned from winter hats to sun hats! Though poor ds still brings his everywhere out of worries of an attack of cold hives. You know in case the temp drops 40 degrees instantly. 

Cold hives? Very interesting. Mine has been getting bad dermatographia this summer. Itchy welts when anything scratches against her skin. Itchiness is not good for sensitive kids. :(

I'm really wondering what the connection is between tactile sensitivity and these reactions because I've had two who have had physical reactions like this and both have tactile sensitivity. My kids who don't have the same sensitivities do not get reactions like this. 

My tactile sensitivity kid breaks out horribly when she's overheated, and pretty much lives on antihistamines to keep the itchiness down at this time of year.  And it really doesn't take much. She's also very cold sensitive. Basically,the kid has about 2 months of the year that she's comfortable outside in Memphis weather :(.

My older has been car sick many times this summer, more than last summer. He is used to car sickness and puking so no grouchiness from the puking episodes. He was car sick on straight expressways/freeways. We didn't go on any curved roads yet.

The only thing that is hard about summer is the lack of routine. Every day looks a little different and so they don't like when it is time to do work when they used to not mind at all. The weather has been perfect this summer. My oldest dd loves wearing shorts and t-shirts and soft clothes so she loves that this summer is warm enough to wear that all summer long. Ds is sensitive to temperatures and the weather has been good so he is good with that. They play outside all day. We have a sand box and I think that really helps them. They ride their bikes and go swimming. This helps my sensory seeker. The winter is the rough time. It is harder to find clothes dd can tolerate and we don't get outside much. They are sensitive to the cold when they do get out and it involves layers of clothes that they don't like.

My older finally dare to get his face wet while swimming so he was able to swim the breath of the condo pool in breaststroke. He used to only swim backstroke to prevent getting his face wet. He was not good at "dog paddle" He is the one that does not dare to use the shower head for bathing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Joyfulmomof2

Has anyone ever heard of the Wilbarger brushing protocol? My sensory seeker hated change of season his worst season is always winter. He feels trapped in his clothes. He would have panic/anxiety attacks when dressing. We used this brushing technique and deep pressure messaging. It takes only 3-5 minutes to do. At first it took him a good couple weeks to even want to be "brushed" but we stuck with it b/c I was determined to help him transition to anything without having anxiety about it. The results were amazing! He could tolerate socks, sneakers, long sleeves, and even zipping up his jacket and putting up his hood! The brushing helps them to break dien their sensitivies and helps them organize the process of whatever they are doing. Here is a link to get more info on it. http://www.nationalautismresources.com/wilbarger-protocol.html

Roll playing helps a lot, or watching the weather and having them take a stuffed animal or doll and dress them in the appropriate attire for the day. We took and dressed a boy doll for everything! When we went out the doll came and we dressed the doll, "brushed" the doll and then my ds would dress himself like the doll. I ended up roll playing everything, and still do!

My ds is finally starting to self regulate and its am amazing sight! We have a sensory bin for him to go to for whatever he is feeling. He then feels more in control over the out of control feeling he is already having and after you introduce to him the tools and what they are used for he can go into the "toolbox" and get what he needs!

A great website to find great tools to help your child self regulate is www.funandfunction.com they have so many amazing things to buy at reasonable prices that you can try for your child.

Brushing is part of the OT routine for our Aspie. I have noticed a good deal of change over the past year with his tolerance for certain clothing items. Although his rigid thinking still keeps him from wearing basketball shorts for anything except sleeping. (Yes, he refuses to wear them to even take out the trash. *deep sigh*)

Our younger sensory, (possibly Aspie as well), son is about to start the brushing routine. I hope to see him into pants without elastic sometime this year.

We went to OT with my older sensory kid and used the brushing and deep pressure. I can't say we personally saw any improvement, but it does seem to be the standard protocol for sensory issues so it must work for some people. I would try brushing with my younger one, but I can't due her current problem of getting hives when anything brushes against her skin. Just thinking about the possible result freaks me out. I guess I could try the sponge side of the brush we have....

I would try brushing with my younger one, but I can't due her current problem of getting hives when anything brushes against her skin. Just thinking about the possible result freaks me out. I guess I could try the sponge side of the brush we have....

My older boy's hives are mainly due to Dermatographism.  He also gets hives from the dryer vents which is why we had to keep the dining room window close to minimize exposure. It does help us to know what we are dealing with. 

My older boy's hives are mainly due to Dermatographism.  He also gets hives from the dryer vents which is why we had to keep the dining room window close to minimize exposure. It does help us to know what we are dealing with. 

I wish I knew what was triggering it. It's been bad this summer but it seems like it's already improved some. Thankfully.