Menu

Will someone help me with math?

Math Mammoth just isn't sticking with my oldest.  He's doing just "ok" (B's and C's).  I need something with more review and clearer explanations.  The problem is every program that sounds like it might fit the bill, I keep reading negative reviews about it.  Sigh.  So here is what I have heard about the programs that I've considered:

Saxon 7/6:  I thought this sounded good b/c it seems to have a lot of review.  I've read several places that kids that use this can't do similar math problems if they aren't written in the "Saxon" way.  Is this true?  I'm not even sure what they mean by this, but obviously I want something he can apply outside of the textbook.

MUS:  Haven't taken the placement for this, but I've heard that upper levels (Pre-A on up) are extremely light. 

BJU:  Ironically,  I've heard (from different sources) this is very intense and I've also heard it is below grade level.  So not sure what to think about that...but I will get to see this one at a hs display this week.

Others that might work:  CLE, Rod and Staff, ????  Help me out?!

TT would probably not work for him because he doesn't focus well on his own.  He really needs me hanging over him to make sure he gets done in a timely manner.  If he had something computer based I could easily see him sitting there for 2 hours and not even finishing the assignment.

I'm so frustrated that I didn't get to a convention this year so I could look at these in person!  Anyway, can someone tell me if the reviews I've read are accurate or not?  Or help me place this kid in  a math program.

I can assure the BJU reviews are wrong. Have you looked at the scope and sequence yourself? I have used all the programs you mentioned (in total, 16) and have finally settled on BJU with DVDs. It seems to blend the best of every 'way' of doing math. Clear explanations, mental math, review, spiral, not moving too fast, easy to slow up or speed up, plenty of extra helps for the child that needs it, etc.. BJU isn't intense if people mean having too many problems or moving faster than a child can resonably digest new information. Here is the link to the scope and sequence.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_2013-Scope---Sequence____2253507?ddkey=http:CatalogSearchResultCmd

BJU is a solid math program.  Like any program, it has pluses and minuses, but it is well rounded IMHO.

Have you looked at Horizons?  If I had to do elementary and middle over again, I would use Horizons math.

I liked Saxon 54 quite a bit.  65 was okay.  Again, it has pluses and minuses.  I like how Horizons teaches word problems better than I do Saxon, but that might just be a learning style factor.  

MUS has a different scope and sequence so it is hard to compare that program with others.   

Based on the Saxon 7/6 and the MM, I am assuming this is for a 6th grader?

If so, I personally wouldn't jump into any of those at that level. I would suggest a solid elementary level review. I think Lial's BCM is the one that most recommend for that. Afterward, you could jump into any pre-alg the following yr.

Sorry.  Yes this is for my 6th grader.  I am going to look at BJU this week, but thanks for s&s link!  I will check that out.

8FillstheHeart:  I will check out Lial's as well.  Do they have a program that I can use through high school?  I'd love to find something that I can just use straight through as much as possible so I that I don't have to go pick and choose each year.  (laziness, I know. :001_rolleyes: )

I'd look into CLE. We've switched our older girls from Saxon because it was gnerating tears and taking them forever! My oldest is doing amazingly well with CLE now and my middle just asked if she could switch also. She was about 25 lessons into Saxon 7/6 and was miserable. She was making excellent grade and getting the answers correct, but having seen how lacking in foundation my oldest was from Saxon (she made it almost to the end of 8/7 before I broke down and let her choose another math), together with her distress at how long math takes every day, I decided to order CLE 600 for her. Part of it will be easy but when she took the placement test, it was clear she wasn't ready for 700 yet. You can download the placement test by clicking on the link for the diagnostic you need (on their website) http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

If you haven't looked into it, the teacher guides are inexpensive ($9) and offer several teaching methods including additional problems to use for teaching material on a white board/chalk board for your student and alternate tests/practice worksheets you can copy. I have been SO impressed. I recently asked my oldest why she thought she seemed to be doing so much better with CLE even though it was covering the exact material she struggled with in Saxon. Without hesitating she quipped,"Because Mom, they use ENGLISH in their explanations!!" LOL ;) We are both much happier.

Good luck! I know there are lots of choices out there and it can feel overwhelming. I hope you find the right fit for your kiddo!  :)

Sorry. Yes this is for my 6th grader. I am going to look at BJU this week, but thanks for s&s link! I will check that out.

8FillstheHeart: I will check out Lial's as well. Do they have a program that I can use through high school? I'd love to find something that I can just use straight through as much as possible so I that I don't have to go pick and choose each year. (laziness, I know. :001_rolleyes: )

Lial's does have upper levels, but I honestly do not know much about them. Between elementary math and alg is a good place to make a transition. I recommend Foerster's for high school level ( except for geo,since he didn't write a geo text. We use a Houghton Mifflin geo text for geo).

I would actually recommend taking this conversation to the high school board. Really, what you need to do is solidify all +,-,x,/, fractions, %, and ratio concepts with an introduction to roots, exponents, and negative numbers and then decide how,you want to,proceed for high school. I do not think you need to lock yourself in at 6th grade. Flip side is that I do not believe jumping into a sequential elementary program is the correct decision for what you do need. It is why I recommended Lial's bc it is a basic college text that reviews all elementary math vs being part of a sequential series that will have been building up concepts in other books.

Hth

Sorry.  Yes this is for my 6th grader.  I am going to look at BJU this week, but thanks for s&s link!  I will check that out.

8FillstheHeart:  I will check out Lial's as well.  Do they have a program that I can use through high school?  I'd love to find something that I can just use straight through as much as possible so I that I don't have to go pick and choose each year.  (laziness, I know. :001_rolleyes: )

Yes, Lial's does have high school Algebra.  Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and PreCalculus.  As far as I can tell, they do not have a geometry (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Jann in TX is a wonderful source of Lial's info.  She helped me with ISBNs and editions. 

I like Lial's high school.  I really like the number of real world word problems in each chapter.  We started Lial's Intro to Algebra this past Jan.  Dd finished Horizon's pre-Algebra at the Christmas break.  It went very well. 

FYI, we did chose TT for 9th grade.  The choice was based on a number of factors including work load in other subjects. 

BJU:  Ironically,  I've heard (from different sources) this is very intense and I've also heard it is below grade level.  So not sure what to think about that...but I will get to see this one at a hs display this week.

The difference in what you've heard might be because they have 'new editions' that are significant improvements. I'm not a fan of BJU-the-company, but the (new) math texts are supposedly very much on-grade-level. 

I agree with 8 that you should take some time to shore up all 'basic math' skills. You can do this with something like Lial's or a gentle pre-algebra program that has lots of review built-in. 

In ref to negative reviews --- what works well for one kid might completely flop with another. Since you now know your kid needs clear explanations & more review, you want to look for THAT in the reviews. If you read that someone hated a certain program because it had a ton of review, you might look into that one further because you WANT more review. :-)  

I remember reading in a review how someone thought the upper levels of A Beka math were outdated because they didn't teach methods one would use with a graphing calculator. That's a plus for the neo-Luddite in me.  :laugh:  Even if hundreds of people like a certain program, it doesn't mean you will like it or your kid will do well in it.

Good luck!

Based on the Saxon 7/6 and the MM, I am assuming this is for a 6th grader?

If so, I personally wouldn't jump into any of those at that level. I would suggest a solid elementary level review. I think Lial's BCM is the one that most recommend for that. Afterward, you could jump into any pre-alg the following yr.

I'm assuming BCM = Basic College Mathematics?

Thank you so much for the replies!!! At least I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices now ( BJU , CLE and Lials) which is much less overwhelming. :). I'm going to print off CLE's placement test and see how he does with that and try to read up all I can on Lial's. Hopefully I can get something ordered by the end of the week! :)

Yes, Lial's does have high school Algebra.  Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and PreCalculus.  As far as I can tell, they do not have a geometry (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Jann in TX is a wonderful source of Lial's info.  She helped me with ISBNs and editions. 

I like Lial's high school.  I really like the number of real world word problems in each chapter.  We started Lial's Intro to Algebra this past Jan.  Dd finished Horizon's pre-Algebra at the Christmas break.  It went very well. 

FYI, we did chose TT for 9th grade.  The choice was based on a number of factors including work load in other subjects. 

HollyDay are you using the classes with Jann in TX or working through the Lial's text on your own after her guidance helped the selection process? I'm leaning towards Lial's for my oldest once she completes the CLE 800 books. I know we'll both need some guidance with that and I've heard good things about Jann in TX. If you've done any of her classes, could you elaborate on how they work/pros and cons?