Menu

keep or sell..... I "strongly dislike" these decisions!

ACK.

The whole process of selling stuff is daunting - and it seems more difficult now than the last time I tried. SO many places to try to sell things, buyers wanting it dirt cheap so it isn't really worth the effort. Except, I'm in dire need of funds at the moment :(

Today's choices:

Oak Meadow 9th grade English Syllabus & TM (how much was the TM anyway? I don't have a receipt for it and it wasn't on the order). There is a *slight* chance that my middle DD could do this at some point in the next 6 years. Maybe.

Our old school tables. I bought them at a surplus sale, and love them (despite their yellow tops) and know I could never afford replace them.... but at this point, I don't think we will be using them again. So I should list them on Craigslist I guess - but for how much?? I don't want to give them away - if I was doing that I'd give them away to someone I know that really needs/would appreciate them you know?

They are this style/size: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Product=28169&rec=PDHtop

I just learned yesterday that 2 other things I have here are worth $$$ and it is time for them to go.

I have a bunch of other curriculum that I would love to sell - but I think i'd do better at a used book sale with a table. We don't seem to have those around here. I have a bunch of stuff that is literally "like new" and if someone sees it in person they know that.

Anyway, I guess it is back to pondering my stacks and figuring out what to do with the stuff!

I know what you mean. I have some TT disks to sell, but if I only get $60 or less plus the hassle of packaging and shipping, I'd rather give them to my nephew. I have several boxes of curriculum I'm never going to use again but it's not worth my time to unpack, take pictures, post, answer questions, repackage in costly materials and then find a post office for 20- 30 different books/items. I'll probably take them to the local Salvation Army in the next few weeks and hope that some other HSer's in need of a budget stretcher finds them.

If getting some type of investment back is important, I would advertise on Craigslist.  If not, I would donate them.  I am struggling with this right now as well and have decided to donate.  I just need the space and peace of mind before school starts.  I know some of the books won't last long at our library store. 

Can you get together with some local HSing (or formerly HSing) friends and do a used curriculum/materials swap and sale? 

I'm in a similar boat, but the majority of our friends are either HSing younger kids or are very relaxed schoolers/unschoolers. I'm supposed to be going through all of my books and curriculum this coming week, and I'm dreading the end result!

I will say, though, that after several years of telling myself I would do it, I FINALLY managed to sell a few high-value things on Craigslist a few months ago. It was very gratifying, even though I probably didn't get top-dollar for them (particularly the gym mats--I was stunned at the number of replies I got for those!), and it felt to good to have a few hundred dollars in hand in addition to the extra space in the house. I wouldn't sell a lot of small things on there, but it was worth the time and effort to sell the few big things.

I truly wish I could just donate it, but today as I sit here - I need cash. My income has been cut by more than 50% and we were barely eeking by before that. I'm at least a month from being able to be employed in the field I just graduated from (if I can even find a job!) due to paperwork at the state level for my license.

I knew I should have dealt with most of it a couple of months ago - then it would have just boxed it up for donation.

Oh, and I doubt that my library will sell any of it - I live in a retirement area! Some of it I was going to ask if the library would keep for parents to check out. Then at least it isn't going to waste you know?

Can you get together with some local HSing (or formerly HSing) friends and do a used curriculum/materials swap and sale?

I honestly do not have any local HSing friends at the moment. The couple that I did know aren't any longer due to older kids or putting them in school. That is what makes it rough! My support group is an our away in Orlando. They tried to arrange something but due to having to have a permit because things were going to be sold it didn't pan out.

If someone in the Orlando or Ocala area could point me to a place I could rent a table I'd give it a go!

I will say, though, that after several years of telling myself I would do it, I FINALLY managed to sell a few high-value things on Craigslist a few months ago. It was very gratifying, even though I probably didn't get top-dollar for them (particularly the gym mats--I was stunned at the number of replies I got for those!), and it felt to good to have a few hundred dollars in hand in addition to the extra space in the house. I wouldn't sell a lot of small things on there, but it was worth the time and effort to sell the few big things.

Gee, I could have used the gym mats! LOL!!!

Apparently the other two items taking up space will be worth my time and effort to sell. I was hoping to do it when my boyfriend was in town because I'm not excited about having strange people back here. I'm pretty isolated off the road and well, I'm just not excited about having people figure out we are 4 females here living alone (which is why I won't have a yard sale - and in case anyone thinks i'm paranoid, my ex, boyfriend and another male friend all agree, no yard sale back here). But alas, I just found out his window of being in town is pretty narrow and I'm not sure I can pull it off this time.

If you need the cash, then if I were you (and I have been at times!), I would do this:

Separate out the stuff that wasn't worth it to sell--if you'd only make a dollar or two on it, donate that stuff and take the tax deduction.

With the curriculum and books that you'd make more than a few dollars on, write up good descriptions and take pictures, and then post them here and on the Facebook sale and swap group. Also, if you feel comfortable doing so, also list them on local loops and say that you're looking for people who can pick up (so you maybe don't have to deal with shipping/quality issues).

With the big stuff, like the tables, list them on those same local loops and on Craigslist. Personally, if the tables are in good shape, I'd list them at $75 each or best offer and link the description where it shows the prices at $118. 

If you need the money, these things are good resources for you. But the longer you hem and haw over selling them and agonize over the pricing, the more miserable the stuff is going to make you. Seriously, I hemmed and hawed over my Craigslist stuff for years, literally. When I finally bit the bullet, assigned the darn prices and made the listings, it all went so fast! I was so relieved when it was all gone. It was wonderful. 

Just do it. It's painful trying to figure out how to get the maximum money of this stuff, but I'd rather just set a decent price and get it OUT than try to go high and deal with people who want to come look at it, and think about it, and haggle over it, and so on.

I totally understand. I need some cash to pay for new books/etc and I have some NEW stuff, I just need to make SOMETHING off them. I am about to go list some new gymboree clothes on ebay that my kids never got to wear because they were the wrong size/season etc. Ugh, I haven't done ebay in years....

I am thinking to put some reading books on paperbookswap to try and get some other books for lit/hist.

I honestly do not have any local HSing friends at the moment. The couple that I did know aren't any longer due to older kids or putting them in school. That is what makes it rough! My support group is an our away in Orlando. They tried to arrange something but due to having to have a permit because things were going to be sold it didn't pan out.

If someone in the Orlando or Ocala area could point me to a place I could rent a table I'd give it a go!

Gee, I could have used the gym mats! LOL!!!

Apparently the other two items taking up space will be worth my time and effort to sell. I was hoping to do it when my boyfriend was in town because I'm not excited about having strange people back here. I'm pretty isolated off the road and well, I'm just not excited about having people figure out we are 4 females here living alone (which is why I won't have a yard sale - and in case anyone thinks i'm paranoid, my ex, boyfriend and another male friend all agree, no yard sale back here). But alas, I just found out his window of being in town is pretty narrow and I'm not sure I can pull it off this time.

Ah, I see. What about a consignment store then, at least for the big stuff? 

I was worried about people coming to our house, so when I knew they were coming, I locked the kids in the house with a cell phone, watching out the window, and I put the stuff in the driveway for when they came so I didn't have to have anyone come inside. Even in our non-rural area, I didn't want anyone seeing the layout of the house, the kids, etc. Would that make you feel better? Or do you have a male friend or two who could help out? Thankfully, all the people who came to get my stuff were women, and I made sure to choose potential buyers who gave women's names and who sounded well-spoken and "normal." Not that that's any real guarantee, of course, but it made me feel better!

If you don't mind talking to people on the phone, maybe you can screen for female buyers first? I mean, if you're selling homeschool materials, odds are that you'll most likely be talking to moms. 

I'm not on any FB Sale/Swap groups.... I wouldn't even know where to look ('er, search?) for them on there.

But I am going to do it, at least for the tables and the two other things!! That should at least pay the electric and internet for a few months! :p

I'm not on any FB Sale/Swap groups.... I wouldn't even know where to look ('er, search?) for them on there.

But I am going to do it, at least for the tables and the two other things!! That should at least pay the electric and internet for a few months! :p

The one I'm thinking of is run very efficiently by our very own Milovány, but if you don't want to deal with that, just list them here! 

Good luck, mama. I hope you get as much as you can for everything.

Ah, I see. What about a consignment store then, at least for the big stuff? 

I was worried about people coming to our house, so when I knew they were coming, I locked the kids in the house with a cell phone, watching out the window, and I put the stuff in the driveway for when they came so I didn't have to have anyone come inside. Even in our non-rural area, I didn't want anyone seeing the layout of the house, the kids, etc. Would that make you feel better? Or do you have a male friend or two who could help out? Thankfully, all the people who came to get my stuff were women, and I made sure to choose potential buyers who gave women's names and who sounded well-spoken and "normal." Not that that's any real guarantee, of course, but it made me feel better!

If you don't mind talking to people on the phone, maybe you can screen for female buyers first? I mean, if you're selling homeschool materials, odds are that you'll most likely be talking to moms.

Oh consignment shop - that reminds me of a few "baby" things I should sell!

I'm going to talk to my UPS guy about trying to move one of the things to his house (two of them aren't HS items, but leftovers from my ex, probably male buyers only). It would be impossible to meet someone for those two things - so I'm actually hoping he would know someone that wanted them for a decent price and save me the headache. LOL, he actually wants one of them - but knows I need the money and can't give it to him.

But yes, I anticipate doing just what you did! :D

Oh consignment shop - that reminds me of a few "baby" things I should sell!

I'm going to talk to my UPS guy about trying to move one of the things to his house (two of them aren't HS items, but leftovers from my ex, probably male buyers only). It would be impossible to meet someone for those two things - so I'm actually hoping he would know someone that wanted them for a decent price and save me the headache. LOL, he actually wants one of them - but knows I need the money and can't give it to him.

But yes, I anticipate doing just what you did! :D

Hey, maybe you can call up your ex and see if he wants to buy them off you? :lol:

Hey, maybe you can call up your ex and see if he wants to buy them off you? :lol:

LOL!

I'm hoping to not have a lot of issues selling them, they are legally mine to sell... but still hoping to avoid issues. I guess if he wasn't so far behind on his support payments I wouldn't have to sell them 'eh??

This is hard for me, too.  In fact, I have trouble parting with curricula I know for certain we will never use again.  Part of it is the time and trouble involved with selling it.  Part of it is the good memories associated with some of it.  I'm sentimental.  :D

I've been aggravated because I did take pictures and list all of my stuff on some FB pages and some here.  I have sold very little.  Some of my stuff is new, and buyers want to give me half price or less.  Um, it's new.  I expect to be able to discount it some, but I am not giving away new stuff unless I give it to some of my hsing friends.  Then, I had three people message/email me saying they wanted the same program and requesting paypal information.  They never paid and never responded when I asked if they were still interested. 

If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't bother.

I've been aggravated because I did take pictures and list all of my stuff on some FB pages and some here.  I have sold very little.  Some of my stuff is new, and buyers want to give me half price or less.  Um, it's new.  I expect to be able to discount it some, but I am not giving away new stuff unless I give it to some of my hsing friends.  Then, I had three people message/email me saying they wanted the same program and requesting paypal information.  They never paid and never responded when I asked if they were still interested. 

If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't bother.

Well, I wouldn't expect 50% off, but I think people are of the mindset that if you don't ask, you'll never know if you could have gotten a better deal. Personally, while I love supporting fellow HSing moms if I can, I won't take the chance of buying from single sellers--even if the items are advertised as new or like new--unless there's a fairly significant discount. Too much can go wrong, and I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and buy from Amazon if the prices are that close. Then I know what I'm getting, I can use my Prime shipping benefits, and I'm guaranteed good customer service and replacement of my items if they're lost or damaged in shipping. I know sellers want to recoup as much of their costs as possible, but buyers have to weigh the risks on their part against saving a few bucks. 

I don't know what to say about people never paying though. That's so frustrating!

I hear you on the almost new thing and wanting a bit more for it. I had something priced at least 60% off and someone still wanted me to knock more off of it. :(

I"m hoping I can sell a few things at least. I did respond to two ISO postings because I had them! Imagine that!! :D

If you don't want the hassle of selling, then donate AND get a receipt for the donation so you get a tax write-off - it's a win/win.   

If you don't want the hassle of selling, then donate AND get a receipt for the donation so you get a tax write-off - it's a win/win.

I currently don't even make enough to have to file taxes, let alone have enough to itemize for deductions! So any donations are out of the goodness of my heart.

Even if I manage to find a job before the end of the year I won't have enough deductions to go beyond the standard. It is what it is right now.

Oh well.... and, I think I have 3 of the tables. The other one must be in the garage somewhere. Hmmmm........