Menu

If You Have a SN Stroller, Which One Did You Get?

Crimson Wife

My little one is getting too big for a regular toddler stroller but is not yet able to walk safely with us on outings due to bolting and also tiring easily (she has been diagnosed with mild hypotonia). We're going to try to get reimbursement for a SN stroller under the durable medical equipment coverage of our health insurance but in case that gets denied, the stroller needs to be <$800. I see several different strollers in that price range (Maclaren, Convaid Metro, Special Tomato EIO, Otto Bock Eco-Buggy, etc.)

If you have a SN stroller, which one did you get? Pros/cons?

ETA: It needs to be lightweight and non-bulky enough to fit in the back of my station wagon. So I'm primarily looking at umbrella-type strollers.

I have a friend who uses a folding SN stroller that looks reasonably lightweight. It's pretty stylish & looks easy to handle, but I don't know what brand it is or how much it cost. Let me check in with her at church tomorrow. She started using one about the time her daughter outgrew the toddler stroller and is still using it several years later, though the child is now outgrowing it. The girl can walk and usually does so inside buildings, but for any distance or when she's tired she rides in the stroller.

I asked on a different forum and got one recommendation for the Maclaren and one for the Special Tomato. I wish there were some place I could go to see them in person like Babies R Us for regular strollers. $500+ is a lot to be paying for a stroller sight unseen, KWIM?

I talked with the local authorized durable medical equipment vendor today and they said that once they had the prescription from our pediatrician, they'd send out a technician (aka salesperson) to help us choose an appropriate stroller or chair. We're seeing the doctor on Monday.

I need to pursue this, but I've been skeptical that easy exhaustion due to his special diet and behavior issues would be paid under our plan. I've been putting it off until he reaches a weight where even my husband tires of carrying him.

I should dig back into that. Its so hard to go anywhere with him and I can't carry him for long anymore. 

I need to pursue this, but I've been skeptical that easy exhaustion due to his special diet and behavior issues would be paid under our plan. I've been putting it off until he reaches a weight where even my husband tires of carrying him.

I should dig back into that. Its so hard to go anywhere with him and I can't carry him for long anymore.

There is a new diagnostic code for wandering that I'm going to ask our pediatrician put in DD's file if it isn't already there. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/code.html

Hypotonia and motor delay are in her file from the pediatric neurologist. DD's next appt. with the neurologist is mid-August but if I need her to concur with the pediatrician's prescription for a SN stroller or light transport chair, hopefully she'd be able to do that before then.

• 1 month later...

We were in a very similar situation two years ago with my son, who will be turning 6 in a couple of weeks.  He has multiple medical issues, as well as developmental delays, sensory processing disorder, etc. He is also tall and we were looking for something durable that would grow with him, work for his medical needs, and carry all of his equipment, but still be affordable and easy for me to manage. After exhaustive searching and testing numerous models and brands, we settled on the City Elite by Baby Jogger. It is designed to go up to 75 lbs, but more importantly, has the height that he needed, as well as the storage capacity and manueverability. The stroller weighs approx. 25 lbs. and I can not only push it w/one hand, I can also close and lift it with one hand. The back can lay completely flat (which was important to my son because he likes to sleep in his stroller when he is inpatient). One feature that I love: the tires are the all-terrain and forever-air (filled with foam rather than air, so that they never run flat. We tested it first at a local store and then were able to find ours on Craig's List (new) at half-price, and we have been very happy with it. This site provides more specs: https://www.babyjogger.com/city_elite_sngl_dtl.aspx. Good luck!

The in-network Durable Medical Equipment provider needed to get a letter of medical necessity from the neurologist so I got that on Monday & sent it in. The neurologist was not terribly optimistic about our insurance covering a SN stroller or transport chair with just a diagnosis of autism, hypotonia, and motor delay but I'm keeping our fingers crossed.

DD is doing Special Needs soccer through AYSO this fall and one of the other families has a Convaid EZ Rider that seems really nice. If our insurance does pick up the tab, I think this is one I'd maybe like to get. It would be out of our budget, however, if insurance declines to pay.

The annoying thing is that if DD were to dart out in traffic and get injured, the insurance could be out seriously big bucks for treatment. Just going to the ER alone would likely cost more than buying her the stroller to keep her safe.

I never got back to this thread- my life got pretty zoo-y right after I made my other post. I did check into my friend's special needs stroller and while I can't quite remember right now, I think it is the Convaid EZ Rider. It looks like the photos of the ones online, purple color and all.

If you get an insurance denial on the first go round, take it higher up on the ins. company chain. In the meantime, document what you currently need to do to keep her safe in public places, and be sure to discuss the cost benefit issues related to what they'll have to pay out if she gets injured because you can't keep her safe without the stroller/wheelchair you are requesting.

I never had a sn stroller, but I did get 2 asd kids through the bolting stage without a serious incident. In my experience, it's important to have a very firm grasp on their wrist at all times. If they start to melt down, use one hand on the wrist and the other on the upper arm. If you need one of your hands free, grab their wrist and tuck their arm under your elbow, holding their arm firmly to your body with your elbow. If they resist, use your height advantage to pull them onto their tiptoes so they can't get the leverage to bolt. I always envied the moms holding hands with their cute little kids while I was moving around my pair of auties in a phalanx of wrestling holds. Now they're both able to walk with me without needing to hold their hand and they'll respond to my voice prompt to wait for me. Life is so much better. Hang in there, you'll only have to worry about bolting for a few more years (hopefully).

Good luck getting the stroller!

My daughter has a heart condition and cannot walk far. When we went to Disney I bought a Joovy jogging stroller. It was the only thing I could find at a "reasonable" price that held up to 75 lbs. She was 5 at the time and is now 8. We are going back to Disney in October and the stroller will definitely come with us again. It's very easy to push and has plenty of space for a larger child.

http://www.diapers.com/p/joovy-zoom-360-jogging-stroller-black-46015?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=JY-027&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338716482&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=JY-027&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

• 2 weeks later...

Coming to this thread very late....did you end up finding a stroller?

We have the MacLaren Buggy for my son (almost five, Down syndrome, low muscle tone, also a "runner" away from me).  It works VERY well.  I'm glad I ordered the shopping basket to go with it, but the sun shade is kind of a pain -- it doesn't fold with the stroller. 

Hope this helps!

We were in the process of trying to get approval from United Healthcare but then we learned that the only health insurance option at my DH's new employer is Kaiser (ugh, but it beats unemployment). Since there was no way the Durable Medical Equipment vendor was going to be able to get approval by Sept. 30th when our UHC coverage ends, we're going to have to start the process all over again with Kaiser. I have this feeling that Kaiser is going to be even more resistant to paying for one than UHC but I'm prepared to request an independent medical review from the state.