Menu

New York City in July; suggestions please:)

Kelly1730

I will be accompanying my husband to NYC for four days toward the end of July. Yippee! It's business mixed with pleasure for him, totally pleasure for me:) We will be staying at the Waldorf and having lunch at Oscar's and dinner and a Broadway show (Wicked!). Several company dinners are planned so basically we have three lunches and one dinner on our own. Suggestions? Also, I know what I want to wear for the dressy occasions but am kind of stumped on the touristy days. No jeans/shorts etc. What shoes can I wear that are both cute and comfortable for walking? And, last but not least what do I not want to miss while in NYC? I will be on my own in the mornings while he is in the seminars, breakfast in NYC? I'm NOT paying $60 for the one at the Waldorf :glare:

You can wear anything in NYC. Dress for heat and have a light wrap in case you find cool air conditioning. I would spend at least one morning at the Metropolitan Museum of Art - suggested donation. This is helpful if you can't spend the whole day. Breakfast is on every corner, delis and diners galore. I would ask one of the young people at the hotel for ideas. 

Is there any reason why you don't want to wear jeans, shorts, or sneakers? :confused: Do you need to dress extra-nicely because you'll be with people you need to impress?

And as Starr already said, you can find meal options in all price ranges in NYC. I know that many people think everything is expensive, but that truly isn't the case at all.

Is there any reason why you don't want to wear jeans, shorts, or sneakers? :confused: Do you need to dress extra-nicely because you'll be with people you need to impress?

And as Starr already said, you can find meal options in all price ranges in NYC. I know that many people think everything is expensive, but that truly isn't the case at all.

Well, I haven't worn shorts in years ( except I did buy a pair of cuffed above the knee jean shorts this summer!) and I thought jeans would be too hot. As for the sneakers, if I could find a cute & comfortable pair I'd wear them. I do have capris and tops to wear, I guess I was just associating Manhattan with dressier than a beach vacation:) 

The Met is most definitely on my "must do" list. We really only have a couple of afternoons and one evening to do things together so I am trying to figure out what we really don't want to miss. 

The Met is my very favorite place on this earth. Definitely, definitely go there. The Cloisters, if you can handle public transportation and are into medieval/Renaissance art and culture. Maybe the 9/11 Memorial? Go down to the Village and Soho and just wander around. The West Village is so pretty. Chinatown and Little Italy, see the Brooklyn Bridge. The Central Park Zoo. I lived and worked there for years, and I'm drawing a blank! :lol: I'll post again if I can think of more.

Oh, some of my extended family just visited and did a tour with this group. They LOVED it:

http://www.realnewyorktours.com

Try the website for the magazine, Time Out New York. They list lots of events, like free opera in the parks, and so on, that would be easy to miss, because they are for a limited time.

Breakfast should be easy, as the Midtowm area has a lot of inexpensive places that have both sit-down and take-out for office workers. You will be a few blocks from Grand Central Station, which has wonderful food vendors.

A good way to find little places near where you are is to use google maps and enlarge until you see all the shops on each block. Most places have menus online, so you can check beforehand. Also google for restaurants near place you are going -- often you will get a site that categorizes the choices.

One note of caution -- smartphone theft is an increasing crime, so just be aware when you ate on the street, subway, etc.

ETA. One of my favorite guidebook series for when you have limited time is the DK Top 10'series. They cover top 10 sites, then top 10 museums, etc, then a bit on top neighborhoods. I like them because they are compact and map & illus are integrated with the text.

Oh gosh, I keep having ideas! If you like museums, the Guggenheim ( incredible architecture) is a few blocks from Met Museum. The Frick Museum, also on 5th Avenue is very special and not usually the first place tourists go. The quality of the paintings is absolutely extraordinary, and they are all housed where the Fricks used to live.

A sundress or skirt and good supportive sandals or flat shoes, summer pants,.. You might want to be a little more dressed up since you'll be in and out of the hotel with your husbands business pals. And they will probably be in business clothes. A good handbag that fits over your body so you can keep track of it and some sunglasses. Get a guide book and read through it before you go. It will show you where things are located. 

The city will be *hot* in July.  Check the weather before you go.  the 80's are hot but bearable, the 90's mean you'll sweat all day regardless.  Dress accordingly.

As others have said, you'll need sturdy walking shoes, some kind of lightweight rain protection (jacket or umbrella), and clothes that will work in the heat.  Jeans would be horridly hot.  A light cotton top and a cute skirt or lightweight capris, with a sturdy walking sandal would work well.  You can dress nicely and still be comfortable.  (Well as comfortable as possible in the heat anyway.)  

Think about your bag.  You'll want something lightweight and secure.  You'll be toting sunglasses, sunscreen, a light layer in case of cold A/C, bus/subway pass, purse, keys, maps, phone, snacks, and anything you purchase along the way.  A water bottle is a must.  A small cross-body bag for valuables with a lightweight backpack for the rest would work.  (It seems odd, I know, but lots of people in the city carry two bags.  One purse-type bag, and one tote-type bag, especially if they are carrying shopping or lunch or business stuff.  It's organizationally handy, and also distributes the weight better.)

Thanks for the suggestions, I knew you guys would come through:) Two bags is a great idea! I thought about the cross-body bag but hadn't thought about carrying a backpack type for the larger items. Maybe I can get dh to do that:)  I do have some guidebooks and sort of have our days planned, will depend on weather and what may come up once we get there. I'm excited and looking forward to our trip, thanks again!

The city will be *hot* in July.  Check the weather before you go.  the 80's are hot but bearable, the 90's mean you'll sweat all day regardless.  Dress accordingly.

As others have said, you'll need sturdy walking shoes, some kind of lightweight rain protection (jacket or umbrella), and clothes that will work in the heat.  Jeans would be horridly hot.  A light cotton top and a cute skirt or lightweight capris, with a sturdy walking sandal would work well.  You can dress nicely and still be comfortable.  (Well as comfortable as possible in the heat anyway.)  

Think about your bag.  You'll want something lightweight and secure.  You'll be toting sunglasses, sunscreen, a light layer in case of cold A/C, bus/subway pass, purse, keys, maps, phone, snacks, and anything you purchase along the way.  A water bottle is a must.  A small cross-body bag for valuables with a lightweight backpack for the rest would work.  (It seems odd, I know, but lots of people in the city carry two bags.  One purse-type bag, and one tote-type bag, especially if they are carrying shopping or lunch or business stuff.  It's organizationally handy, and also distributes the weight better.)

Excellent point about the two bags. I always do this -- one shoulder bag purse plus one very lightweight tote.