Menu

Algebra needed before AoPS Geometry

I am trying to come up with my dd's math sequence for high school. I am wanting her to take Geometry this year to get a break from Algebra. This past year for 8th grade she took Algebra 1, but not with AoPS Intro to Algebra text. Do I need her to complete Algebra 2 this year before AoPS Geometry?

TIA!

Dd's taking the online Geometry class from AoPS. Following the book, they're in chapter 12 of 19 now. She has needed to factor quadratic equations and use the quadratic formula quite often so far.

For chapter 17 (analytic geometry) the students need to be familiar with graphing lines and circles. This is the warning given at the beginning of the chapter:

"If you have not studied graphing lines and circles in the Cartesian plane, you may find the material in this chapter extremely difficult. (My note: if they say it will be difficult,it will be difficult!) If so, we recommend studying the fundamentals of graphing lines and circles in our Introduction to Algebra textbook.

Moreover, the algebraic manipulation required for parts of this chapter is considerably more complicated than in the rest of this text. Specifically, if you are not comfortable with completing the square, you may wish to study it in Introduction to Algebra (or another text) before returning to this chapter.)

It seems dd would benefit from going through their Intro to Algebra text this year. She was in public school for 8th grade last year and I don't think she got a good Algebra foundation. Thank you for helping :)

Yes, but realize that text covers all of Alg 1 and 2. I suggest not expecting to do it all in one year unless you have a very, very motivated kid. :)

I am trying to come up with my dd's math sequence for high school. I am wanting her to take Geometry this year to get a break from Algebra. This past year for 8th grade she took Algebra 1, but not with AoPS Intro to Algebra text. Do I need her to complete Algebra 2 this year before AoPS Geometry?

TIA!

You don't need to  complete Algebra 2 before AoPS Geometry.

DS did Algebra 1 using the Abeka book,

then did AoPS Geometry and was extremely well prepared.

It seems dd would benefit from going through their Intro to Algebra text this year. She was in public school for 8th grade last year and I don't think she got a good Algebra foundation. Thank you for helping  :)

Oh--if she doesn't have Algebra 1 good and solid that won't be good for Geometry.

Would it be odd to use lial's intermediate algebra text for algebra 2, then use AoPS Geometry, then go back to using lial's pre-calculus? 

The levels of the courses are very different. Lial's is a good solid course, but AOPS is an extremely challenging course. Is there a reason you've picked these two courses, or why are you interested in AOPS?