Menu

MIT or Boston moms

*LC

My 18-year-old be staying at MIT for 3 weeks later this summer for a conference. While the conference will keep her busy most of the week, she will have Sunday free to explore and do laundry.

We went to Boston a few years ago to see the touristy/historic attracations. However, she has never been to a big city on her own. So, it is possible that she will want to stay close to campus on her Sundays.

Any suggestions for things not to be missed for a teen visiting the area?

Harvard Square is just fun to poke around and an easy T ride from MIT. Lots of street musicians, crowds, funky shops, and neat restaurants.

I would recommend the Boston Science Museum, since it is ridiculously close and absolutely top-notch, but it is hard to get to without a car. Maybe there is a bus now that I am unfamiliar with? It's worth asking around to see.

I hope she enjoys her time there! Boston is a great city! <feeling homesick>

I was going to suggest the same things as Gwen :-)

Harvard Square is full of bookshops, cafes, etc. It's fun way to spend a lazy afternoon. I usually walk there from MIT. It's only a mile away, but the T (Red Line) is easy to figure out, too. You just need to hop on at Kendall Square on MIT's east campus & take it two stops outbound.

We really love the Science Museum - it's huge! Public transit isn't so easy from MIT, though; I think that you need to change lines? Both of my kids have walked there from campus on nice days with a group of friends. Speaking of which, urge your dd to do her exploring with another friend or two. It's a city, with all that implies, and while it's relatively safe, she does need to be careful.

Um, you can walk to the Science Museum from MIT. Done it myself many times.

Kendall Square (MIT) and Science Park (Museum stop) are on two totally different lines that would require going to downtown Boston and changing trains. It would probably take much longer to take public transport than to walk. There are sidewalks, and walking along the river is beautiful. I used to rollerblade from near Kendall Square, past the Science Museum onto the Boston side, and down the Esplanade (park along the Boston side of the river) all the way down to Boston University and back on my lunch hour when I worked/lived there.

The MIT museum is also fun, and obviously right there. And I'll second Harvard Square! There are also lots of fun museums to see at Harvard - the Fogg (art) and the Peabody (natural history) are two that pop into my head.

That part of Cambridge is very safe, especially in the daytime. That area is populated almost entirely by tech nerds, both student and professional.

A few more ideas --

She might want to check out the free Wednesday night concert series at the Hatch Shell. Also, if she likes history, the Freedom Trail tours with costumed interpreters are pretty good. The Science Museum and its huge Van De Graff generator is not to be missed. Also, the Science Museum currently has a special exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls that looks interesting, and the New England Aquarium has recently re-opened after a huge refurbishment.

It's pretty easy to get around Boston on public transportation.

HTH,

Brenda

The Museum of Fine Arts is on the far side of Boston from Cambridge, but it's easily accessible from the T (she would need to take the "E" train on the Green Line). It has a fantastic collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts and also an excellent Impressionist collection.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have e-mailed myself a list to suggest to her as the time gets closer.

We loved the science museum when we visited in 2010. It was so big; I know we missed a lot. It seems like we took public transporation there from where we were staying in South Boston. It dropped off some distance away from the museum. We had driven down from Maine late, late at night in the rain, and somehow we ended up where the road deadends into the USPS mail sorting facility. The security guard working the entrance had no clue where we trying to go. I don't know how, but we eventually found the apartment we had rented online, however, I think the only time I drove in Boston after that was to go to Plymouth.

The T is not hard to use. !

I don't know why, but I seem to always end up going the wrong way on the T. I know we did it from the south Boston/Dorchester Heights area while on vacation. I also remember being confused on a previous medical trip to the B&W/DF area. I wasn't sure which way to go into the city from the Longwood Station. It is never a big deal, just let's us see more of Boston.

I will second the costumed Freedom Trail tour. We took that tour. My history-loving kids and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This daughter isn't a history buff, and even she liked it. (When we used SOTW for elementary history, this is the kid that complained there was no one nice in history.)

Thanks for all the great descrptions of how to get to the science center from MIT. I now know basically where MIT is. We took the Duck Tour from the science center. Despite my trouble with the T and driving in Boston, I have a good memory for places and how they relate to places nearby. I remember Harvard being pointed out on the tour. Being able to picture where she will be helps as I prepare for her leaving.

I will have that safety talk with her before she leaves.

Thanks again