Menu

Is this enough for 2nd?

AnniePoo

I am planning out next year.  I read those "X grade plans" threads and feel terrible inadequate.  This is what I'm thinking:

Spellwell A and AA

FLL2 (and probably some of 3) - hoping to do the optional enrichment exercises

Bi-weekly letter writing

Cursive handwriting 3 times per week

Lots of read-alouds

Free reading - whatever she wants

MUS Beta

Math drill worksheets

CC Foundations

She'll also be doing a once-weekly enrichment class at a school and they will be covering the basics of WWE2, just not as in-depth (and also art, music, PE, etc).  I wanted to add more writing to our at-home curriculum but she tends to freeze up when I "make" her do something.  She writes little notes all the time for fun though.

I plan to homeschool all the way through, but I always want to make sure I'm not so far from what the public school kids are doing ( just in case we ended up needing to go that route, she'd be all set to go with some minimal summer tutoring). 

If you're doing the science and history with CC, every major base is covered. :001_smile:

I'd switch some of that letter writing for quality copywork (taken from good literature), as I've found it a more effective writing tool, but the WWE class may be covering that.

For what it's worth, I'd deliberately work on that "make" attitude when you can. That's easier to work on now than when puberty arrives in a few years. :ack2:

Looks like a great year!

Great!

Why phonics for a 2nd grader?  Just curious.

Good point on that "make" attitude.  I have been pondering this for a while now.  Definintely somethign to think about.

How well does she read? Can she read above a 4th grade level comfortably? That's usually where students who have a weak phonics foundation start to struggle because they don't have the advanced word-attack skills. If she's a strong reader, she may not need it, but a lot of kids at that age still need some reading instruction.

How well does she read? Can she read above a 4th grade level comfortably? That's usually where students who have a weak phonics foundation start to struggle because they don't have the advanced word-attack skills. If she's a strong reader, she may not need it, but a lot of kids at that age still need some reading instruction.

Where does one get a 2nd grade phonics curriculum? My son is in 2nd. He is getting much better with reading and tested at an upper 3rd grade reading level. But, he is still pretty slow and struggles with more advanced words. I wouldn't mind tackling a little phonics this year, maybe 2-3 times a week, to cement those more advanced phonics rules in his mind. But, I haven't even seen a program to do that. He is doing spelling and does seem to spell well naturally. Thanks!

OP - It looks fine to me. I would probably be more deliberate about WWE either with the workbook or incorporated throughout other things. Other than that, I think it looks nicely streamlined. :)

Where does one get a 2nd grade phonics curriculum? My son is in 2nd. He is getting much better with reading and tested at an upper 3rd grade reading level. But, he is still pretty slow and struggles with more advanced words. I wouldn't mind tackling a little phonics this year, maybe 2-3 times a week, to cement those more advanced phonics rules in his mind. But, I haven't even seen a program to do that. He is doing spelling and does seem to spell well naturally. Thanks!

OP - It looks fine to me. I would probably be more deliberate about WWE either with the workbook or incorporated throughout other things. Other than that, I think it looks nicely streamlined. :)

You can use a few different programs. Ill name a few I know. Im sure others know.of many.more than me. :)

Abeka letters and sounds 2, BJU phonics and review book ( ment for grades 2-4), modern curriculum press phonics B, Horizons phonics and reading 2, and McRuffy has some phonics, I believe, in their 2nd grade reading program as well.

Phonics Pathways. You can start anywhere in the book you need to. ;)

I like Dancing Bears because you can get different "speeds" depending on the skills your child has and needs to learn. Your child might do well with Fast Track or book B. They have previews so you can look and see which book you think you need.