Menu

SAT/ACT plan?

So, we got back DD's SAT scores on the 20th. We had planned on submitting these scores with early apps. We need a new plan. Her PSAT projected scores were close on reading and writing and we are very happy with both of those. Her math scores were abysmal. Not having completed advanced algebra and geometry slaughtered the score. She's taking both now. However, because of this I am not submitting these scores to the college. (She will be done with Algebra 2 and Geometry by September.)

The next SAT test is in October. We *had* planned to use that date for subject test scores.

I'm thinking she would be better served by going ahead and using the October date for subject tests and then just doing the ACT.

BTW, for those out there, plan on beginning taking the SAT sometime in the sophmore year *at a minimum.* Use it to plan ahead, see your weaknesses, chart your course if you plan on early admission the junior year is too late.

The next SAT test is in October. We *had* planned to use that date for subject test scores.

I'm thinking she would be better served by going ahead and using the October date for subject tests and then just doing the ACT.

Kelly,

I think your idea of having her do the ACT instead is a good one, if her scores on practice tests look promising. With the ACT, she will also have to tackle the science section, so how she does there may also be a consideration in which test to choose.

Another thing to consider is that unless she plans on applying to very selective schools, the SAT2 tests generally aren't required, so you could have her skip those in favor of another try at the SAT. You might use the SAT2 tests as outside validation of her coursework, and they would strengthen her applications in that way if she does well. I'd suggest only having her take them if her scores on practice tests look very good. If she's not applying to tippy top schools and she has other outside validation, I'd skip the SAT2s.

I tend to hold the philosophy that I would rather submit fewer test results and have them be very good than to submit a bunch of results that are just OK. It all depends, too, on her goal. Is she just looking to get into a college, or is getting a scholarship important too. Sometimes building the strongest support package can be a bit tricky -- and I definitely think it looks different for every student, depending upon his/her strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless of which testing approach you take, I would have her spend the summer finishing the missing math and working some SAT and/or ACT math problems every day. Lots of practice with actual test questions is what helped my dc improve their scores.

HTH,

Brenda

I'd heard that the ACT and SAT scores might vary, but I was a doubter until dd took both (twice). She scored significantly higher on the ACT (although she scored poorly in math in both tests).

I've never heard of early college apps in junior year. Out of curiosity, what's the advantage to that?

Brenda, fwiw, most colleges (all to which my dd applied) "superscore," taking the highest score of each section. They are blind to anything other than the highest scores, no matter how many scores are submitted.

I've never heard of early college apps in junior year. Out of curiosity, what's the advantage to that?

Brenda, fwiw, most colleges (all to which my dd applied) "superscore," taking the highest score of each section. They are blind to anything other than the highest scores, no matter how many scores are submitted.

I don't think the OP was referring to applying to colleges in jr yr, but that jr yr scores make it too late to modify plans for applying early in sr yr.

I have only seen a few schools that superscore the ACT. Superscoring the SAT seems fairly common, but the majority of the schools we have been researching state explicitly on their websites that they do not superscore the ACT. Then there are schools like GA Tech that apparently only look at the English and math scores of the ACT and disregard the reading and science reasoning sections.

OP, Brenda made a good pt about the science reasoning section on the ACT. It can have a significant impact on the score.

So Kelly, you are recommending that a student take the ACT and the SAT their sophomore year in order to have time to correct any weaknesses that show up on the tests? Does it matter how many times a student takes those tests and are all scores submitted to the colleges? Are there any disadvantages to taking the tests early. Does one take the PSAT sophomore year to be prepared to take it junior year?

I have only seen a few schools that superscore the ACT. Superscoring the SAT seems fairly common, but the majority of the schools we have been researching state explicitly on their websites that they do not superscore the ACT. Then there are schools like GA Tech that apparently only look at the English and math scores of the ACT and disregard the reading and science reasoning sections.

So interesting how varied it can be! All of the colleges to which dd applied superscored both SAT and ACT. I found this link, Colleges that superscore the ACT. None of dd's choices counted the writing portions. I don't know about science though. It's so helpful to know this when you are trying to keep track of sending which scores to which schools--but I found it hard to keep track, on top of everything else I was trying to do with planning. :)

I wasn't referring to superscoring when I suggested that one might want to be cautious about taking the ACT/SAT. I was really talking about the SAT2 subject tests. Personally, I think the student's record would "look" better with strong SAT or ACT scores and no subject tests than with subject tests where the scores were low. (This is of course if the student is applying to colleges that don't require SAT2 scores).

Also -- I personally don't believe in taking the ACT/SAT many times starting as a sophomore. I've had my students take the PSAT in 10th, and then again in 11th. I've also had them try an ACT practice test from the red book to see if that would be a better test for them. For my oldest, the ACT ended up being better, so I had him put a lot of time into studying for it. He did well and did not take the ACT again and also never took the SAT.

For my younger guy, the SAT turned out to be a better test, so we spent a ton of time last summer (after 10th) studying for it. He took the 11th grade PSAT and the actual SAT both in October. We were pleased with his SAT scores and he will not take it again. I wanted him to devote his attention this past spring to the AP exams he was preparing for instead of trying to eek out a few extra points on the SAT.

I think that no matter when your student takes the ACT or SAT, the best way to high scores is to spend a lot of time on actual practice questions. Older son did every test in the ACT red book, and younger son did every test in the SAT blue book plus a few extras I found online. It took a lot of time to prepare, but the results speak for themselves. I've found that to get the best results, you really need to schedule time for the test prep and make it a priority and not try to fit it in around all the other things your kiddo is doing. The best bang for the buck comes from really analyzing the questions that are missed and trying to "see" testing patterns and become familiar with the test approach.

Brenda

We did (gulp) really no prep work. She took the PSAT last year and I got an SAT prep book that we poked through and never did. Sigh. She's in the mid 600's and I expect with prep we could probably improve 30-50 points and hit 700 in the reading and writing sections. I felt her writing score was low. Her practice essay online was scored above average but her actual essay was only average. That was something we ought have practiced.

However, not having any geometry and only a month or so of Algebra 2 hurt. She did both TT Algebra I and Fred Algebra I, getting As in both. When I looked at the breakdown, her most painful score was geometry. She's doing geometry now and is over halfway through Algebra 2. I think we could reasonably expect a total score of 1900 with a hopeful 1950. So, solid, good, but not big $$ scores.

On the other hand I could almost guarantee she would knock Literature right out of the park and do really solidly on the US History. (She'd do better on World History but it isn't offered until December.... Too late.)

So, the big question... A better score on the SAT and retake in October *OR* get that stellar Lit. score on a subject test and a good score on US History with taking the ACT?

The facts of the matter is that we should have been ON this her junior year with practice tests her sophomore year. I am scheduling my upcoming freshman to take his first this year. I won't make the same (major) mistake again. But, I have to figure out how to recover here in order for her to have the best chance at any merit aid.

BTW, for those out there, plan on beginning taking the SAT sometime in the sophmore year *at a minimum.* Use it to plan ahead, see your weaknesses, chart your course if you plan on early admission the junior year is too late.

It's easier and cheaper to buy The Official SAT Study Guide and take practice (timed!) tests at home to determine weaknesses. I don't see any reason to go to a testing center for practice SAT's unless the student is the type that could struggle due to an unfamiliar environment.

It's easier and cheaper to buy The Official SAT Study Guide and take practice (timed!) tests at home to determine weaknesses. I don't see any reason to go to a testing center for practice SAT's unless the student is the type that could struggle due to an unfamiliar environment.

YES! I agree with that.... My two oldest are planners and of the "I don't like unfamiliar things" variety. She was incredibly, incredibly nervous. I don't think it had a huge impact on performance but to do it over again I would have had them take it a few times previous to one we wanted to count.

Unless colleges you are looking at want SAT II scores, I'd go with higher SAT/ACT scores over SAT II.

Have you thought about signing up for the ACT and SAT II tests? They are different weekends, but both are in early fall in time for apps.

My guys start tests in fall of junior year for baselines. This leaves them spring of junior year to add more tests (March/April and/or May/June).

The majority of schools we've looked at superscore both the SAT and ACT, but many do NOT superscore for scholarship considerations - just admissions.

I am not clear about taking the SAT/ACT multiple times. Is it that some colleges only take the highest score, and others want to see all scores? I read something on the SAT website that you can request which scores to send to a college, but then won't that college see that you are doing that special request, and wonder why you are not submitting all of your scores?

I also just want to put in a plug for the practice books. I did just average on the SAT. I never prepared for it at all, did not ever do a practice test or any practice questions at all. When I took the GRE, I was much more focused and goal-driven, with a specific goal of getting into certain grad programs, and so I got a couple of the practice books and really studied and practiced for about 2 months before the test. And I did really well, a lot better than I thought I would be able to do. I surprised myself. But honestly, I don't think it was due to anything more than just the fact that I had practiced "how" to take the test, the types of questions, the different sections, etc. That was back when they had that analytical section on it, and if I had not practiced that like I did, I would not have done as well as I did. So, I really think it just is a lot about learning how to take that particular kind of test.

So to clarify, I'm talking about submitting an early application (prior to Nov. 1) because we want her to be considered for scholarship money and my understanding is the sooner the application is submitted, the more likely you are to receive scholarship money.

So, I think my options are:

1. Retake the SAT on the October date

2. Take SAT subject tests on the October date and take the ACT and then submit.

3. Take the SAT on one date, the ACT on one date (optional), and take SAT subject tests in November or vice versa.

Obviously doing number 3 means the application goes in later. Does that matter?

I am not clear about taking the SAT/ACT multiple times. Is it that some colleges only take the highest score, and others want to see all scores? I read something on the SAT website that you can request which scores to send to a college, but then won't that college see that you are doing that special request, and wonder why you are not submitting all of your scores?

You can request which scores are submitted, and the colleges are unaware of the other scores. If I recall (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there is a short window of time that you can have your scores sent to the colleges for free via College Board (which administers both ACT and SAT). I also believe that a very few schools want to see ALL of your scores, but I think that is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

So to clarify, I'm talking about submitting an early application (prior to Nov. 1) because we want her to be considered for scholarship money and my understanding is the sooner the application is submitted, the more likely you are to receive scholarship money.

So, I think my options are:

1. Retake the SAT on the October date

2. Take SAT subject tests on the October date and take the ACT and then submit.

3. Take the SAT on one date, the ACT on one date (optional), and take SAT subject tests in November or vice versa.

Obviously doing number 3 means the application goes in later. Does that matter?

I'm going to make a general statement: Early admission apps often increase your chances for admission. This is not always true but you might get a feel for an individual school's preference on the College Confidential boards or by looking through the College Data website.

Regarding your number 3 option. When do the scores come back for the Nov. test date? For my dd's choice schools, the students could apply early admission and then submit their test scores when received. Those dates for late scores to be submitted were usually quite a while after the application deadline. Each school will vary though.

I felt so overwhelmed by all of this last year at this time. But I just did one thing at a time, and it all came together. We just kept an eye on deadlines. You WILL get through this successfully!