Menu

TOG...anyone using for LG?

SO much info out there... mind boggling to read everyone's opinions and I know it's really a matter of preference. But. Um. It looks incredible to me and I've read through the samples. I will have 2 in LG. Any of you who have had LG or started in the LG care to share how you loved it or moved on b/c it was too much ... or whatever...? Thanks!!

I wrote a blog post about using TOG with LG students. http://www.winecupch...th-younger.html

I loved reading that post!

Thanks SO much.

I see you have older kids and maybe that is why it works with your younger, eh? Did you start your older ones when they were LGers or did you just start your youngest in LG since you had picked TOG up when they were older?

I wrote a blog post about using TOG with LG students. http://www.winecupch...th-younger.html

This is great!

Unfortunately, I am one of *those* people who has used the LG level as a booklist...when my oldest was LG. I had 6-, 4-, 2-year-olds, and a newborn. So, I read aloud and we talked. No vocab, no geography, no timelines, nothing extra at all. But, I used that first year to teach myself how to use TOG and think about future years.

I don't know if my son got much out of just having me read to him, but I loved the book choices. The book choices alone were enough of a reason for me to use TOG.

But, I used that first year to teach myself how to use TOG and think about future years.

I have heard this frequently as a "perk" to using TOG at the LG level. Our first year with TOG was with our H.S. Freshman and I was really overwhelmed. The learning curve at the R-level was steep and I didn't want to get it "wrong" during the high school years. I ended up using something else that year, but I definitely feel much more comfortable now after going through it at the LG level for several units.

For my youngers, I have fluctuated between TOG, MOH, and SOTW - all great curriculums! MOH & SOTW are nice in the straightforward read-the-next lesson sense. TOG takes a bit more planning, but it was the only curriculum we have used that sparked really good discussion...even with my 1st grader. One perk at the LG level is that it is much easier to substutite resources from the library. I do have MapAids. but have found that my children prefer to just use a wall map and discuss aloud - which is fine for me at this age. We will definitely use it for our UG/D go-round.

Our week will look something like this:

Day 1: introduce week, core history reading

Day 2: geography, in-depth history reading

Day 3: literature/read-aloud (possibly go over vocabulary)

Day 4: hands-on activity

I would recommend buying one unit to try (the 3- week sample just doesn't seem like enough time to really get a good feel IMHO), and reading through the intro & week plans to get a good feel for the flow of topics. I would definitely survey the upper levels, but if you focus on the LG sections for now, it will really help the "fog". :)

I used TOG for 3.5 years at lower grammar level before taking a break. I love TOG and plan to go back to it fall of '14. BUT I also did have to put it away because it was too much. How is that for contradictory? :) The thing is, if you want to use it for lg, you need to have more reasons than just wanting history for lg students. There are many cheaper, easier ways to do history for that age. *I* used it for that age because I wanted to use it for self study (honestly, didn't happen) and I felt strongly that it was what I wanted for the D and R stages where TOG really shines. I figured why switch later, so I started with TOG from the beginning. Last year I did decide I needed a break in planning so I have put TOG away for now.

TOG can be as time consuming to plan as you want it to be. We read the core history books as read alouds, I assigned the lit books, and I put any other book TOG offered (and my library carried) in a book basket for free reading. We made a draw and caption notebook page each week and we did a hands on activity a few times a year. There really wasn't much planning doing it this way, but there is no denying that it was a mighty spendy booklist. TOG offers so much and as I tried to pull in more from TOG, while simultaneously adding in new students and babies ;), it became too much for me. The break has been good.

I understand your mixed feelings and I don't think there is one right answer. TOG is incredible and it is too much for just lg - as in nobody would suggest using TOG for lg if you planned on switching to something else in 4th grade. Ack! I hope I didn't leave you more confused! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I loved reading that post!

Thanks SO much.

I see you have older kids and maybe that is why it works with your younger, eh? Did you start your older ones when they were LGers or did you just start your youngest in LG since you had picked TOG up when they were older?

I started with an LG and a D. My routine with my LG wouldn't be any different if I didn't have a D/R.

I used TOG for 3.5 years at lower grammar level before taking a break. I love TOG and plan to go back to it fall of '14. BUT I also did have to put it away because it was too much. How is that for contradictory? :) The thing is, if you want to use it for lg, you need to have more reasons than just wanting history for lg students. There are many cheaper, easier ways to do history for that age. *I* used it for that age because I wanted to use it for self study (honestly, didn't happen) and I felt strongly that it was what I wanted for the D and R stages where TOG really shines. I figured why switch later, so I started with TOG from the beginning. Last year I did decide I needed a break in planning so I have put TOG away for now.

TOG can be as time consuming to plan as you want it to be. We read the core history books as read alouds, I assigned the lit books, and I put any other book TOG offered (and my library carried) in a book basket for free reading. We made a draw and caption notebook page each week and we did a hands on activity a few times a year. There really wasn't much planning doing it this way, but there is no denying that it was a mighty spendy booklist. TOG offers so much and as I tried to pull in more from TOG, while simultaneously adding in new students and babies ;), it became too much for me. The break has been good.

I understand your mixed feelings and I don't think there is one right answer. TOG is incredible and it is too much for just lg - as in nobody would suggest using TOG for lg if you planned on switching to something else in 4th grade. Ack! I hope I didn't leave you more confused! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

It is so much more than history. For my LG, TOG is history, geography, literature, fine arts and writing.

It is so much more than history. For my LG, TOG is history, geography, literature, fine arts and writing.

I'm not sure why you quoted me. Are you referring to my first paragraph? I guess my post should read there are many cheaper, easier ways to do history, geography, literature, fine arts and writing for that age. :)

I understand your mixed feelings and I don't think there is one right answer. TOG is incredible and it is too much for just lg - as in nobody would suggest using TOG for lg if you planned on switching to something else in 4th grade.

I have to agree with you on this. If I were solely planning to use it for LG, it would definitely be too much. Sometimes when we needed to just get through history I would pull out a different resource -thus my fluctuating! If your bigger picture goal is to reuse TOG at higher levels, I believe, it's a good idea to begin at the lower levels and get a really good feel for it.

Also, I have to consider my other subjects. This year my other planning is pretty straight-forward so the TOG planning doesn't seem as hefty. If that makes sense??

I disagree that using TOG for only LG that it would be too much - I assume you mean $$$ ?? There may be cheaper, but I use TOG for the quality, not the cost. I certainly understand budgeting though so it is a good thing there are so many options out there. I prefer TOG and don't mind paying for it - even if I was only going to use it in the LG stage.

I am also using it with a young elementary student, with more waiting in the wings. I'm perfectly fine leaving out a lot of stuff right now. It is basically a glorified reading list right now and I am okay with this. A few reasons are...

1. Like others have said, I am getting acquainted with the TOG format while there is no pressure. I'm slowly easing into things and have yet to experience the fog, and I don't think I will. I learn a little more about the program each week and fall even more in love.

2. I am balancing out my costs. I know this is what we will use in the future, so I am making an investment now. With LG, you can easily swap out books. I am relying heavily on the library and used book stores. I make sure we have at least one book to read each week and don't worry too much about lining up book titles, unless it has a student activity page with it. After 4 years of this, once I have the whole curriculum, I can spend my money actually buying the books needed UG and R. I can't imagine having the money available to buy the program and all the books I want.

I disagree that using TOG for only LG that it would be too much - I assume you mean $$$ ?? There may be cheaper, but I use TOG for the quality, not the cost. I certainly understand budgeting though so it is a good thing there are so many options out there. I prefer TOG and don't mind paying for it - even if I was only going to use it in the LG stage.

You would spend over $500 per year on TOG for a 1st or 2nd grader with no plans to use it in later grades? The quality of TOG is excellent, but it is not that great at the lg level. What on earth kind of quality would you be getting for $500?

You would spend over $500 per year on TOG for a 1st or 2nd grader with no plans to use it in later grades? The quality of TOG is excellent, but it is not that great at the lg level. What on earth kind of quality would you be getting for $500?

I think you are assuming I buy everything, and at full price. First, I buy DE which is $180 for a year. I don't buy all the books on the year plan - I select a few and then I buy whatever I can used after checking to see if my library has it. Writing Aids is a one time $50 purchase. Map Aids is $25 for a year. I don't always buy Evaluations - sometimes I only buy it for a unit or two. LG isn't just Grade 1 and 2 - many of the LG assignments are appropriate for my third grader and I have been known to overlap levels.

I forget who said it was a glorified reading list, but I couldn't disagree more. I don't see how a plan that includes writing assignments, map work, vocabulary, famous people lists, art projects and literature assignments can be considered anything close to just a reading list - glorified or not. That's my opinion anyway. Bottom line, I find the organization, menu of choices, teacher notes, extras like the vocab glossary and famous people glossary, writing assignments, map projects etc - to be a very high quality and it saves me the time of putting it together myself. Yes, I still need to plan some, but I have been using TOG long enough that it doesn't take me the time it took me the first couple of units. I have it down. It is worth the money I invest. That said, I do plan to use it for years to come, so that makes it even more of a value.

I think you are assuming I buy everything, and at full price. First, I buy DE which is $180 for a year. I don't buy all the books on the year plan - I select a few and then I buy whatever I can used after checking to see if my library has it. Writing Aids is a one time $50 purchase. Map Aids is $25 for a year. I don't always buy Evaluations - sometimes I only buy it for a unit or two. LG isn't just Grade 1 and 2 - many of the LG assignments are appropriate for my third grader and I have been known to overlap levels.

I forget who said it was a glorified reading list, but I couldn't disagree more. I don't see how a plan that includes writing assignments, map work, vocabulary, famous people lists, art projects and literature assignments can be considered anything close to just a reading list - glorified or not. That's my opinion anyway. Bottom line, I find the organization, menu of choices, teacher notes, extras like the vocab glossary and famous people glossary, writing assignments, map projects etc - to be a very high quality and it saves me the time of putting it together myself. Yes, I still need to plan some, but I have been using TOG long enough that it doesn't take me the time it took me the first couple of units. I have it down. It is worth the money I invest. That said, I do plan to use it for years to come, so that makes it even more of a value.

Even if you bought the books for half off, you would be looking at close to $500.* I came up with that number because it was on the low end. You could easily spend $1000. I said first and second, but even if you used lg for third and fourth, you would have to spend that $$ each year until you got back around the cycle. Compare that to SOTW that has writing assignments, map work, and reading lists for $60.

I think we are talking past each other. I love TOG. My statement that nobody would use TOG for just lg was a hyperbole. I didn't expect anyone to actually argue that they would. There is nothing in TOG at that level that is unique. I think that your affiliate status is affecting how you are approaching this. ;) Plus, I assume that the OP is planning on using TOG long term which makes this all irrelevant.

*OP, you do not have to spend $500. I highly recommend using the library. You can substitute any book on the topic if they don't have the one TOG suggests. I have spent about $200 - 250 (so little more than the cost of DE) per year by using the library. I will put more into books when we cycle back through because the assignments in the older ages become more book specific.

I am embarking on my 4th year of TOG with my dd8. I do love it, but I have mixed feelings about using it at this level. TOG was designed first and foremost for the upper levels, with the intent to provide material that would allow the Grammar levels to tag along with their older siblings. This fact comes across in varying degrees at different times in the materials.

I will give an example. I do not do a lot of planning ahead at this level, aside from getting the books. So I didn't realize that we were studying Africa for three whole weeks in Year 3, until I got to the third week. We weren't studying specific geographical areas or specific historical periods, but rather, we were just doing a very general study of the entire continent--biomes, animals, folklore, culture and traditions. So when I ordered books for the 3rd week about Africa, I thought, "Really? More books about Africa?" So I looked at what the older levels were doing during those weeks. It turns out that the older students are studying the Scramble for Africa and the resulting European Imperialism for three weeks. In that light, it is easy to see why the LG level has such an easy (some might say boring) 3-week period. And since this study came up at the end of March, I was actually really relieved, seeing as how we were eager to be done with school at that point. But this example underscores how the LG level is written as a tag-along to the upper levels.

So why do I use it? First and foremost, I use it because I have a dd8 who is intensely interested in history and gifted with language. She makes me read every single book, including supplements and alternates. We also listen to SOTW audio CDs as a supplement. I need a history program that can keep up with her, and TOG is it. I am so inspired as I read the Socratic discussion topics for the older children. When she gets to that level, she will absolutely love it. I am already familiar with the Socratic method, and I use it quite freely for everything we do as a family, from homeschool to church to life skills. So I already know that dd8 responds well to this method and have good reason to believe that it will continue to be a good way to teach her as she grows older.

I think if you are going to invest in TOG for the LG level, you first have to have a child that is keenly interested in history such that SOTW would not be enough.

I'm using TOG for LG this year; however, I also have a child in D and another one in R. I'm not concerned with the extra work and/or planning by doing LG, too. He enjoys read-aloud books and projects, so it should go well.

If I didn't have two other upper level children in TOG, I would probably go with HOD or MFW. Perhaps in fourth grade, I would switch to TOG. Of course since I already made my decision I'm not definite what I would do in place of TOG. There is nothing wrong with TOG for LG if you really enjoy the program. For me, personally, I think HOD or MFW would work well for a child that age (with no other siblings in the program).

If you love it then go for it. In the event it is too much, which I don't think it would be unless you are trying to do everything, stop it and pick it back up in a couple years.

Even if you bought the books for half off, you would be looking at close to $500.* I came up with that number because it was on the low end. You could easily spend $1000. I said first and second, but even if you used lg for third and fourth, you would have to spend that $$ each year until you got back around the cycle. Compare that to SOTW that has writing assignments, map work, and reading lists for $60.

I think we are talking past each other. I love TOG. My statement that nobody would use TOG for just lg was a hyperbole. I didn't expect anyone to actually argue that they would. There is nothing in TOG at that level that is unique. I think that your affiliate status is affecting how you are approaching this. ;) Plus, I assume that the OP is planning on using TOG long term which makes this all irrelevant.

*OP, you do not have to spend $500. I highly recommend using the library. You can substitute any book on the topic if they don't have the one TOG suggests. I have spent about $200 - 250 (so little more than the cost of DE) per year by using the library. I will put more into books when we cycle back through because the assignments in the older ages become more book specific.

I have *never* spent over $500 on a TOG year. Second, I have earned a grand total of $3.58 from being a TOG affiliate and it has ZERO to do with my love of TOG and my passion in sharing it.

I am embarking on my 4th year of TOG with my dd8. I do love it, but I have mixed feelings about using it at this level. TOG was designed first and foremost for the upper levels, with the intent to provide material that would allow the Grammar levels to tag along with their older siblings. This fact comes across in varying degrees at different times in the materials.

I will give an example. I do not do a lot of planning ahead at this level, aside from getting the books. So I didn't realize that we were studying Africa for three whole weeks in Year 3, until I got to the third week. We weren't studying specific geographical areas or specific historical periods, but rather, we were just doing a very general study of the entire continent--biomes, animals, folklore, culture and traditions. So when I ordered books for the 3rd week about Africa, I thought, "Really? More books about Africa?" So I looked at what the older levels were doing during those weeks. It turns out that the older students are studying the Scramble for Africa and the resulting European Imperialism for three weeks. In that light, it is easy to see why the LG level has such an easy (some might say boring) 3-week period. And since this study came up at the end of March, I was actually really relieved, seeing as how we were eager to be done with school at that point. But this example underscores how the LG level is written as a tag-along to the upper levels.

So why do I use it? First and foremost, I use it because I have a dd8 who is intensely interested in history and gifted with language. She makes me read every single book, including supplements and alternates. We also listen to SOTW audio CDs as a supplement. I need a history program that can keep up with her, and TOG is it. I am so inspired as I read the Socratic discussion topics for the older children. When she gets to that level, she will absolutely love it. I am already familiar with the Socratic method, and I use it quite freely for everything we do as a family, from homeschool to church to life skills. So I already know that dd8 responds well to this method and have good reason to believe that it will continue to be a good way to teach her as she grows older.

I think if you are going to invest in TOG for the LG level, you first have to have a child that is keenly interested in history such that SOTW would not be enough.

Liking this wasn't enough. This is exactly why we use TOG. The *one* thing that I don't like about TOG is the reliance on "vintage" history texts in the dialectic stage. I think I'm going to end up doing a lot of work fitting in books like Human Odyssey instead, but for me, even that will be worth it for everything else TOG offers. We already do all the reading for LG and UG that we can get our hands on, plus extras that look good from SOTW activity books and our library. I spend a week or two planning before school starts for the year and don't put anything else into planning the rest of the year. I read the notes when I have time, but not always.

If, for some reason, I wasn't planning on using TOG all the way through, yes, I think it would be an odd choice for a lone first grader because of the cost. But, if you plan on using for D and/or R levels, and love history, I think it's great at the early level. And, frankly, I enjoyed having the light weeks interspersed when the grammar stage wasn't doing as much! I love SOTW, but we want/need much more than SOTW offers, and TOG offers that.

It was me who said it was a glorified reading list. I NEVER said the program was a glorified reading list. I said that the program, right now for us, is a glorified reading list. I was speaking to the fact that I am starting it with an the lower grammar student at a 1st grade level.

I bought the program because I LOVE that is does have writing assignments, map work, vocabulary, famous people, art projects, literature assignments, biblical history, etc. I cannot wait to get into all of this and use this program to the fullest in the years to come. We just aren't there, yet. Currently, this full program is serving us as a glorified reading list. A price I am willing to pay for while I get accustomed to this beautiful curriculum and all it will offer our family in the future!

TXMary2, I see you have older children (and I have actually read posts on your blog and drooled over all the we get to do with TOG in the future.) I was just answering the original question on why someone would choose TOG for LG level, exclusively. It is an investment I was willing to make for the future and I have not felt overwhelmed in the least, despite it offering more than we currently need.

Yes, I do have a D/R combo - I guess I am just a loner in that I would be willing to shell out the money for the LG program alone. We use it fully at the LG stage, but I understand others don't. My blog post about using it with youngers was inspired because I have seen so many people say that TOG isn't meant for youngers and I just wholeheartedly disagree. Anyone who wants to use it fully for LG will get a rich and awesome experience. I think TOG is often misunderstood and people don't realize all that is there. I recently met two people at a book sale that had no idea there was a glossary for the vocabulary words and the famous people.

I have *never* spent over $500 on a TOG year. Second, I have earned a grand total of $3.58 from being a TOG affiliate and it has ZERO to do with my love of TOG and my passion in sharing it.

TXMary, I apologize for the affiliate dig. It is clear that you are very passionate about TOG. My teasing was inappropriate. Sorry.

I had 6-, 4-, 2-year-olds, and a newborn. So, I read aloud and we talked. No vocab, no geography, no timelines, nothing extra at all. But, I used that first year to teach myself how to use TOG and think about future years.

This was me when we started TOG- I had a 5yo, 4yo, 2yo and was pregnant w/ our 4th at the time. I used those early years to learn how to use TOG and become comfortable with it.

Our second was only 4yo when we started. After two years, (at the end of Year 2) we went to Colonial Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown for homeschool week to wrap up our study of the Revolutionary War. Now, I would have assumed our second hadn't really picked up on a lot, especially our first year as he was only 4yo when we started. Here's what he said on the way home, to his sister: "You know, Mary, first God created the world. Then there was Noah. Then Abraham and Sarah. Then it was Moses and the Egyptians. After that it was Rome. Then it was Kings and castles (his term for medieval times) and then the explorers. Then the Pilgrims came to America. After that was the French and Indian War and now we're at the Revolutionary War!" I think that is a pretty good understanding of the basic flow of History for a 6yo! Just a few months ago we went to Disney World and as we were walking through Cinderella's castle that same child immediately identified the (gorgeous) mosaics & remembered studying them that first year when he was only 4yo. (He's 8yo now)

So, all that to say, even for those who are "just" using it as a book list in the early- the kids can learn a LOT simply from the readings and a few hands on activities.

Thanks for all the input, gang! I'm the original poster with the questions and have another thing to say... I am not sure if we will be homeschooling all 12 years for each child - we just can't determine where we will be in future years and/or if there will ever be a classical school in any location we ever move, etc. It's certainly difficult to determine the future and how/if our plans would ever change one day. For that reason - alone - buying TOG makes me hesitate. It seems like the POSITIVES of TOG are extreme positives and naturally draw me in big time. It almost makes me think it's worth it for sure to start them on it young and see what happens. Then the practical side of me (and I'm not even that practical, i just married a practical guy who has rubbed off on me ;)) thinks that it really is a steep price tag IF we might not stick with TOG. And therein lies the rub, for me. Ugh. If I summarized the above comments it sounds like it's FABULOUS and worth it, but that one could find other options for the younger years if we were unsure what the future might hold... other options that would still be very good. But still, there is such a draw to TOG for me... BLEH!!!!

SO much info out there... mind boggling to read everyone's opinions and I know it's really a matter of preference. But. Um. It looks incredible to me and I've read through the samples. I will have 2 in LG. Any of you who have had LG or started in the LG care to share how you loved it or moved on b/c it was too much ... or whatever...? Thanks!!

As I stated in my post above, I started Tapestry when my kids were 5yo, 4yo, 2yo and I was pregnant with our 4th. We have finished our first four year cycle & are starting the cycle over next week. This will be our 5th year with Tapestry.

#1: Are you at all familiar with Charlotte Mason? There is a quote of hers that says (I am paraphrasing here): "Children need something to love, something to do and something to think about." Tapestry has provided the "something to think about" and often the "something to do". My kids spend many, many days acting out what we've been reading about in Tapestry. They've reenacted Civil War battles in the woods behind our house, spent months digging out a WWI era trench & building parapets & persiscopes. They've spent 2 days recreating the battle of D-Day on Omaha Beach at our dining room table. After we finish our morning school work and they are released for free play time, THIS is what they do- it shows me that they are *thinking* about what we are learning about. I love the sense of ownership it creates in them when they incorporate those ideas into their play.

#2: For one brief, misguided semester we participated in a popular classical co-op that involves lots of memorization. One day they were playing games with the memory work and the question was "tell me what you know about George Washington" and one of my kids was called on. My child did not understand that the correct answer was the canned memory sentence about Geo. Washington. Instead, that child went on to tell all they knew about Geo. Washington & how great he was- the crossing of the Delaware River, how he turned down the offer to be King, etc. To my child, Geo. Washington was the great, living hero and THAT is what I wanted- not the memorization of some canned sentence. I want History to be like this for my kids- a living story filled with fascinating people and ideas.

#3: With any program, but especially with one that offers as much as Tapestry, there is going to be a learning curve. I have really appreciated the ability to learn how to use Tapestry, how to plan with it, etc. at a slow pace. I despise being rushed and I didn't want to wait until it was important (middle school, imo) to start figuring out how to use Tapestry. I have enjoyed being able to slow walk myself through it with no pressure.

As I stated in my post above, I started Tapestry when my kids were 5yo, 4yo, 2yo and I was pregnant with our 4th. We have finished our first four year cycle & are starting the cycle over next week. This will be our 5th year with Tapestry.

#1: Are you at all familiar with Charlotte Mason? There is a quote of hers that says (I am paraphrasing here): "Children need something to love, something to do and something to think about." Tapestry has provided the "something to think about" and often the "something to do". My kids spend many, many days acting out what we've been reading about in Tapestry. They've reenacted Civil War battles in the woods behind our house, spent months digging out a WWI era trench & building parapets & persiscopes. They've spent 2 days recreating the battle of D-Day on Omaha Beach at our dining room table. After we finish our morning school work and they are released for free play time, THIS is what they do- it shows me that they are *thinking* about what we are learning about. I love the sense of ownership it creates in them when they incorporate those ideas into their play.

#2: For one brief, misguided semester we participated in a popular classical co-op that involves lots of memorization. One day they were playing games with the memory work and the question was "tell me what you know about George Washington" and one of my kids was called on. My child did not understand that the correct answer was the canned memory sentence about Geo. Washington. Instead, that child went on to tell all they knew about Geo. Washington & how great he was- the crossing of the Delaware River, how he turned down the offer to be King, etc. To my child, Geo. Washington was the great, living hero and THAT is what I wanted- not the memorization of some canned sentence. I want History to be like this for my kids- a living story filled with fascinating people and ideas.

#3: With any program, but especially with one that offers as much as Tapestry, there is going to be a learning curve. I have really appreciated the ability to learn how to use Tapestry, how to plan with it, etc. at a slow pace. I despise being rushed and I didn't want to wait until it was important (middle school, imo) to start figuring out how to use Tapestry. I have enjoyed being able to slow walk myself through it with no pressure.

And as far as you know at this moment, you will plan on using it all the way through your children's high school years?

There are lots of people who spend $1000 per grade on homeschooling supplies. I'm not sure why OP is being called out about that.

Yes, I don't see us changing unless life threw us a real curve ball (and it sometimes does!). Even if we did, I would consider these years with Tapestry well-spend & would have no regrets.

Hm.... good point. It seems so well rounded and I love all that it is about, to be honest. Here are more hesitations: What if I'd rather use a different writing program like Institute for Excellence in Writing? I am wondering if I may be purchasing a wonderful and full program but only using little pats of it? Or one year I may use tons of it and then another hardly anything and will I be getting making a wise choice financially in that way, you know? Hmm....

I tried TOG a few years back but didn't get out of the "fog" so I dropped it. Then again that was a classic version I was really a pick and go planner (or lack of).

Anyway, I am using TOG again. I joined a co-op that uses it for history and literature so far. We will be starting our second year. Last year I had a LG, D, and R using it. It was a good fit this time. I got to teach the R history and really got to understand how it works... fog all gone now! My LG gal had a blast last year. They read to her in her class, acted out the history and literature stories, did related crafts... and crafts (did I mention crafts?). The great part was that they were all related to the history or literature! Even weeks after a topic she was able to show off her crafts to friends and tell them the stories behind the item! This was great proof that she was really learning. She even has a basic understanding of the geography since they worked on that also. I don't have the plan used for LG but I do know that they also used SOTW when possible. I let her enjoy class once a week and the we worked on basic skills for the rest of the week at home.

I don't know if this co-op will continue over the years, but I hope so. Even if it don't, at least now I know how it works. I hope we can continue to use it as I will get lots of use out of it. I bought year 1 last year and the History/Geography and Literature books for D and R (LG was provided by the co-op). My D guy was only in 7th so he'll get lots more use and then get to reuse the R books. My LG gal will get even more use of all the guides and also get to re-use the books. And I still have the little one who is only 2 1/2 now so I might not even have to spend money on her for history/Geography or literature ... at all. I will be going through Y1 3 more times and have a R student each time... now that's savings.

Hm.... good point. It seems so well rounded and I love all that it is about, to be honest. Here are more hesitations: What if I'd rather use a different writing program like Institute for Excellence in Writing? I am wondering if I may be purchasing a wonderful and full program but only using little pats of it? Or one year I may use tons of it and then another hardly anything and will I be getting making a wise choice financially in that way, you know? Hmm....

Little pats is what we use. We currently use it for the history, geography and literature. When possible we might add in philosophy, government, bible, worldview. It depends on the time available. Last year one of our R kids did the government but mine really didn't have the time for the extra workload so he just sat in on the class and they had great discussions anyway. Same was true for the philosophy.

We are not using the TOG writing. Instead we picked Classical Writing since it offers more of what we wanted. Even without it we are getting at least 3 subjects, sometimes more out of it... plus all the craft ideas and the ability to keep all the kids in the same timezone. It took awhile for my kids to realize they could actually discuss their work with each other even though they were reading different books... They were even able to help each other out with their map work.

If I summarized the above comments it sounds like it's FABULOUS and worth it, but that one could find other options for the younger years if we were unsure what the future might hold... other options that would still be very good. But still, there is such a draw to TOG for me... BLEH!!!!

I was in the same boat 4 years ago. If I were you, I would go ahead and buy the first unit. You won't be out that much $$ and you will get it in your hands. Go ahead and play around with it, do some planning, and see what you think. You will probably have a strong reaction one way or the other. I bought the first unit by itself and then bought the rest of Year 1 the following day. :D *I* bought it because I new it was precisely how I wanted to teach middle school and high school. You may buy it because it is precisely how you want to teach elementary. ;) At this point, I would try it out. It seems like you have been drawn to TOG for a long time. :)

I don't use the writing portion, at least not now. I might use it for prompts later on, but I love what we are doing now.

Although I said earlier that it would seem like an odd choice if I never intended to. Use it past grammar stage, I agree with a previous poster who said that she wouldn't regret using it if it turned out it didn't get used again.

I'm currently using IEW for writing. That's the one part of TOG I don't see us ever using.

Have you downloaded the sample? If I were you, I would do that. I'd print it and then teach it, to get a clear understanding of whether it might work for my family. I agree that it's a big upfront investment, compared to some programs.

Best wishes as you make your decision! And It will be okay, whatever you decide. :001_smile: