Menu

Can anyone translate this into Latin?

Wow, thank you! I bookmarked that one!

Melissa

Yea, but don't get this "translation" embroidered on the kiddo's t-shirts quite yet, 'cause it's all wrong!

Waiting for a "real" student of Latin to show up explain why.

Bill (who knows "of God" is not the Latin genitive case, it's "Dei")

Yea, but don't get this "translation" embroidered on the kiddo's t-shirts quite yet, 'cause it's all wrong!

Waiting for a "real" student of Latin to show up explain why.

Bill (who knows "of God" is not the Latin genitive case, it's "Dei")

Uh-oh, I do hope to put this on t-shirts and such... well, eventually.

Gah! Scary translation tool.

I'm not good at pithy Latin mottos, but here goes:

Scientiam, intellectum, sapientiamque quaerens in luce Dei

Ok, I gather that website isn't the most reliable source. Thank you Plaid Dad for the translation. Sorry to ask, but are you confident that it's correctly translated or can someone else possibly confirm?

Many thanks,

Melissa

Uh-oh, I do hope to put this on t-shirts and such... well, eventually.

Ok, I gather that website isn't the most reliable source. Thank you Plaid Dad for the translation. Sorry to ask, but are you confident that it's correctly translated or can someone else possibly confirm?

Many thanks,

Melissa

I vote with Drew. at the very least, "in luce Dei" is correct. I'm fuzzy on "quaerens." Time to hit the books again!

I'm 99% sure about it, but you might want to PM latinteach for that last 1% of assurance before you plunk down money on T-shirts. :) I saw a lady the other day who had a wildly incorrect Latin quote...tattooed on her upper arm. I figured it was an act of charity not to tell her about the errors.

not to doubt you Plaid Dad, but at present I know absolutely nothing about Latin. So, I thought I'd just use that website and see how

Scientiam, intellectum, sapientiamque quaerens in luce Dei

translated from Latin into English and this is what I got...

Knowledge , to understand sapientiamque to seek upon lamp Dei.

Now I don't know what to do... any suggestions? I think I may just stick with the English version for now unless someone can definitely confirm the translation. Anyone?

Many thanks,

Melissa

I'm 99% sure about it, but you might want to PM latinteach for that last 1% of assurance before you plunk down money on T-shirts. :)

The online translator doesn't work, period. Please don't go by what it says. I tested it with several other languages, and all of them came out with gibberish.

Thank you, thank you! That makes me feel better. As you suggested, I pm'd latinteach and hope to get a response soon.

BTW, I deleted that bookmark now knowing that it's bunk. :)

Thanks again,

Melissa

The online translator doesn't work, period. Please don't go by what it says. I tested it with several other languages, and all of them came out with gibberish.

yeah --i don't know Latin, but when i tried "Never Trust a Fart" it gave me "nunquam fides a ulterius."

when i switched it around and had it translate "nunquam fides a ulterius" it spit out "never assurance a farther." lol!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrratias tibi ago! :thumbup:

LOL!

no, no, no --how do i pronounce the Latin :

Sede et tace and "sedete et tacete"

We haven't touched Latin, so I have no idea how to properly pronounce the words.

and y'all will probably teach me fluent Klingon, eh?? hee hee....

LOL!

no, no, no --how do i pronounce the Latin :

Sede et tace and "sedete et tacete"

We haven't touched Latin, so I have no idea how to properly pronounce the words.

and y'all will probably teach me fluent Klingon, eh?? hee hee....

Best place to get a good idea of how to pronounce Latin is at the Wheelock Latin site:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

(This is Restored Classical pronunciation.)

Best place to get a good idea of how to pronounce Latin is at the Wheelock Latin site:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

(This is Restored Classical pronunciation.)

oh gosh --

ok, i clicked thru all the audio files and read the consonant/ vowel pages.

i'll give it a try....

Sede et tace:

say-day eht tAH-kee

sedete et tacete

seh-day-tay et tah-KEE-tay

am I close??? are y'all laughing too hard yet?? :bigear:

yeah --i don't know Latin, but when i tried "Never Trust a Fart" it gave me "nunquam fides a ulterius."

when i switched it around and had it translate "nunquam fides a ulterius" it spit out "never assurance a farther." lol!!

Absolutely brilliant method of checking the program! :lol:

BTW, anyone know of a way to get macrons with a keyboard so that one can tell long from short vowels?

I studied German and French (and we've done two years of h.s. Latin). I can't find the umlauts with the fonts, or the French accent marks (circonflex, aigu, grave), or the macrons, and it's really bugging me.

Plaid Dad, I've seen you use these---can you help us less technically literate people? I haven't done exhaustive research of the supplied fonts on these boards, but it sure would be nice to figure this out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Here are the instructions I saved from a post on the Latinteach mailing list:

PC

Macrons in Word is EASY.* You just need to remap your keyboard.

Go to the INSERT menu. Choose SYMBOL.

Find, for instance, the long a. Click on it to highlight. Choose SHORTCUT

KEY.

Press ALT and the a. Click on ASSIGN.

Now, every time you type in word when you type ALT +a you'll get a long A.

Repeat for all other vowels.

For Mac

choose system preferences -> international -> input menu -> then choose "U.S. Extended" (which is unicode). Once you have this set up, simply type option + a before any vowel (times new roman is not set up for the letter y unfortunately, but you can use all the other major fonts.

I usually use Arial and a slightly larger than normal font for worksheets and such. The macrons don't show up very well on message boards, but here's an example: hīc. HTH!

Accents are usually option+ another key on the Mac. I think that would be alt+u on a Windows machine, but maybe someone else can verify that. You then hit the vowel you want accented.

ü [option+u followed by u]

é [option+e followed by e]

à [option+grave - this key is directly to the left of the number 1 on my keyboard]

â [option+6 - the circumflex appears over the number 6]

ø [option+o]

HTH!

Here are the instructions I saved from a post on the Latinteach mailing list

Thanks so much! I am taking a summer intensive Latin class working through the first few chapters of Wheelock's, and the teacher allows us to send back homework via the computer. Being able to do the macrons makes it easier.

Karen

BTW, anyone know of a way to get macrons with a keyboard so that one can tell long from short vowels?

If you have a Mac, you can use the extended keyboard character palettes in the menu bar. Super, super simple to get your macrons on a Mac!

Ā

Ē

Ī

Ō

Ū

The umlauts, circumflexes, and breves are also in the character palette on the Mac.

Plaid Dad's advice is good too. I know I've used the procedure he describes to get macrons before, but mostly I just drag and drop from the character palette.

In email if you're not using extended character sets, a lot of people simply capitalize the long vowel: SalvE! Quid est nOmen tibi? Quid agis tU?

Hope this helps!