Menu

Canadians -- anyone in Calgary/Alberta?

Kate in Arabia

I have a FB friend in Calgary, she's been posting pictures for the past week that look so terrible, but I've had such a disconnect because I've seen virtually nothing in the news at all. I did finally find an article on the CNN website today. I think it's been as heartbreaking to read her posts as to see the pictures, you can really feel her connection to all these places that are under water or damaged or threatened..

For anyone in the area, hope you and yours are all ok!

DH's company has an office in Calgary, the office was closed on Friday and probably into this week - definitely drastic but necessary steps.

DH has a former underling who just moved from Texas to Calgary a few weeks ago, they were expecting to be affected by the winter weather, and were looking forward to the more pleasant summers :(

Not just Calgary although it's been hit the worst. I'm just south of Calgary right now and on Friday trying to get down here was bordering on impossible. There was only one bridge in the whole province that was still open across the bow river. I have numerous friends that were evacuated as well. I took a load of pets back to my place for for a bunch of people I know. They are re opening a lot of places now and are hoping to reopen downtown by the end of the week. The Calgary Stampede should still be a go.

Canmore, on the other hand, is still barely accessible.

This has been hard on the oilfield as most head offices are in Calgary downtown which was hit the worst. The computer system for Alberta Health is also downtown and it's made a mess of the system province wide.

I have a FB friend (I met her when she came down to Dallas, for a dog show, many years ago), who, like Dory, lives South of Calgary. They are OK and she offered to take in friends, their dogs and their horses. Last Friday (?) in the late afternoon, I watched CNN International and on the news they had a big segment about the flooding. 75,000 people were evacuated from their homes. They will recover, but it will take awhile.