Menu

Do you tip the pastor at a baptism?

Slipper

He has met with her for hours and had the entire session (board of elders) meet a different night for her sake? What a wonderful pastor. It seems to me that an honorarium would be a thoughtful gesture. It's not mandatory and I'm sure he wouldn't be offended if you didn't, but I think it would be an appropriate/thoughtful thing. PLEASE don't call it a tip, though. I agree, that word is offensive in this context.

I was baptized in an Episcopal church, as were my children, and it was during the normal Sunday service. However the priest did take time to meet with us ahead of time,for an hour, and go over a lot of stuff about baptism. I figured a gift card with a thank you note was appropriate.

I guess it depends on the individual parish then. The Christenings I've been to in my extended family were all private ceremonies.

When we went to an Episcopal Church, baptisms happened during the regular Sunday service and honorariums were not typical.

Our family was baptized and chrismated yesterday in the Orthodox Church. It was separate from the regular Sunday service and lasted two hours. Additionally, our priest has spent the past nine months meeting individually with us during our catechumenate. We put money inside a thank you card. When DH tried to hand it to our priest, he refused, so DH left it on the table for him. Honorariums are typical for our church and as someone else mentioned, usually go into the priest's discretionary fund.

I'm Anglican and the only baptisms I've ever been at were part of the general service. It would seem odd to give someone money for doing their job (but then in NZ tipping waitresses isn't usual either). Discretely slipping extra money into the collection on behalf of the child would be fine though as would a card or baking or something.

I guess it depends on the individual parish then. The Christenings I've been to in my extended family were all private ceremonies.

Crazy now things can be different! I know the prayer book specifically says it should be done during the service if possible, but I guess some places don't do that.