Menu

part time math-based high paying job?

kathkath

Actuary? It might be hard to do part-time right out of college, but I have known several established actuaries who have left large firms and freelanced or worked part-time for their former big firms. I am an employee benefits attorney, so I work regularly with actuaries. I would expect an experienced part-time actuary to get $100'ish an hour from a firm, more freelance.

http://saplinglearning.catsone.com/careers/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=2384247

I got hired a few days ago by Sapling as a part-time conceptual physics problems author. I'm just waiting for them to send me the forms I have to get filled out and notarized. Physics author pays $25/hour, so math author probably does too. It's completely online and I can work any hours I choose. I just have to put in 15 hours/week.

The answer might depend on what you mean by "math." Arithmetic? Logic? "Real" math? Problem-solving? Is this for yourself or what one of your kids might look forward to if they like the math that they've been exposed to thus far? For your kids, the options might be limitless. For you, I suppose the options would depend on your current background and the extent to which you're interested in further education.

With a little more info, there are some math majors (not me) around here who might be able to offer comments or suggestions.